Pod Your Reef

jdl's pico

jdl

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

r.i.p. panda and porcelain....not doing too good on new additions these days...probably wont be adding anything in the near future. going to focus more on perfecting my seawater chemistry. considering dosing..any thoughts or tips are greatly appreciated.

I don't know if you need to dose. Usually people dose when they have a dominant sps tank that depletes alk or calc levels quicker than water changes can replenish it. From the looks of your corals, your water changes(I would suggest weekly if you want to improve water quality) should suffice.

yeah thats kinda the rule of thumb ive been living by. i just wanted to see if i could make things a little more interesting. maybe i should leave well enough alone.

nice, you get to have some of my favorite inverts, the sexy shrimp and porcelain crab! any other mobile inverts that i dont see in the shots on this page? your xenia forest is nice too, I bet it looks wicked when its all pulsing :)

i have literally more than 30 mini serpent stars. it started out as 2 or 3 as hitchhikers and they have exploded in spawning. the Xenia forest is awesome to look at! i do think that the all of the xenia is sucking out the nurtrients and starving my cheaeto? has anyone else experienced this?

gulfsurfer101

I know a few people who keep xenia filled sumps for this purpose on much larger tanks. The lfs had a 200-300g display and the sump employed tons and tons of pulsing xenia.

Woohoo! Glad to see you in the pico forum. It just feels right!

right? this whole time ive felt like a lonely hermit pico in a world of giants (nanos)!!

I know a few people who keep xenia filled sumps for this purpose on much larger tanks. The lfs had a 200-300g display and the sump employed tons and tons of pulsing xenia.

i thought i saw something like that somewhere.... i would rather have a coral for nutrient export than macro anyways. i think...

• 3 weeks later...

nice! big blue leg, probably old too right? mines coming on 1 year and i think he's catching up to yours. also nice rics, they look happy there. i wonder what xenia on both sides would look like?

nice! big blue leg, probably old too right? mines coming on 1 year and i think he's catching up to yours. also nice rics, they look happy there. i wonder what xenia on both sides would look like?

thanks! blue leg and astrea were the very first additions to the tank, still rockin too. wait about 3-4 months the xenia is slowly walking around the backside of the tank. in fact the xenia, blue mushrooms, and braerium/gsp whatever it is are all fighting for the prime real estate in the back. it looks a lot cooler than the front does...

can you take a pic of the back of the tank? top down pic? anything lol

good idea stay tuned! ill see what i can do my photo skills are severely lacking

my blastos are slowly diminishing...all but 2 heads are gone. the remaining 2 are doing pretty good. i feed them cyclops weekly. anyone have any advice? im gonna start feeding them silversides i think. every other coral in the tank is blowing up except the blastos. my params are somewhere around normal.

that is odd. i have gone long periods w/o feeding mine and they did just fine. its something in your tank. either something is eating them, the temperature is fluctuating, or parameters show some traces of ammo/nitrite/ nitrates or other irritant stuff. beware of copper contamination of food, if you refreeze the stuff. idk how much or it is fact, but since i'm paranoid, I think since the ice in our freezers is made from water that passes through copper piping, the condensation might reach your open frozen food and thus copper gets in, but I'm just crazy like that lol.

that is odd. i have gone long periods w/o feeding mine and they did just fine. its something in your tank. either something is eating them, the temperature is fluctuating, or parameters show some traces of ammo/nitrite/ nitrates or other irritant stuff. beware of copper contamination of food, if you refreeze the stuff. idk how much or it is fact, but since i'm paranoid, I think since the ice in our freezers is made from water that passes through copper piping, the condensation might reach your open frozen food and thus copper gets in, but I'm just crazy like that lol.

Even natural sea water has minute traces of copper in it. Also copper can't really evaporate. I can't imagine that the amount of copper that could be transferred to your food in the freezer would even be detectable. Just my $.02. ;)

i agree. i dont think it is copper. my cyclops are pre-frozen in a mini ice cube type packaging and individually foil sealed. my tank is only inverts at the moment, and everything else has never been better. ive read about sexy shrimp picking at lps before. i know they are eating my zoa skirts, so why not the blastos too.. ive started doing more frequent water changes. the remaining 2 seem to be thriving. the lfs i went to is not very reputable (old big al's now called fish emporium), only one coral that i have gotten from them has done well and it was gsp. the zoas i got at the same time as the blastos have completely vanished. i dont know why i go to that big chain store, when i live in a reefing paradise and local lfs with better knowledge are all around.

Even natural sea water has minute traces of copper in it. Also copper can't really evaporate. I can't imagine that the amount of copper that could be transferred to your food in the freezer would even be detectable. Just my $.02. ;)

lol yes it doesnt evaporate, idk why I missed that xD

• 2 weeks later...

Archived