SaltCritters.com

Do Red Mangroves use magnesium?

MrGone

A fellow local reefer said using mangroves was a mistake he made because they dropped his magnesium. I was wondering if that is the case? I ordered 15 red mangroves from reefcleaners.org a couple months ago but after hearing that I removed them from my sump and put them in a 29 gallon tank I have with a bunch of live rock and extra stuff from a tank I took down. I have a 150w SunPod over it to keep some softies on the rocks and the mangroves happy (they've only sprouted roots and haven't done leafs yet).

I'm just curious about this as I'm about to start designing a new setup and need to decide if I want to use mangroves in this design.

Yes mangroves do use magnesium-the reason they use it is for salt removal.mangroves need to extract the salt from there system and they do this through there leaves. But this to work they use magnesium. They don't use crazy amounts of it so no worries- just get a mag test kit and just dose as it gets low

+1 thanks for covering for me Giga. :)

Black mangroves are more magnesium dependent, they absolutely need it to excrete salt, whereas red mangroves are salt excluders whose cell membrane separates most salt and magnesium lulls are tolerated better. Black mangroves can be a good visual indicator of your magnesium that way.

Archived