ReefCleaners.org

MedRed's 60 Gal Solana XL: The End of an Era

MedRed

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In anticipation of redoing the tint, I removed it. This was my first time seeing the tank with water and stuff in it and the back not being blacked out. Despite the visibility and prominence of the vortechs, overflow, and cables... I think I like it!

13ydxcw.jpg

35bftl3.jpg

Interesting you went back to HQI and T5s.

It was a tough decision, but ultimately I'm happier. I definitely miss the LED's though.

Looks fantastic med! That giesemann looks super sexy on that tank..

Thanks hype! It was definitely the right fixture to over the tank. I'm surprised that I have less light spillage outside of the tank with 4 T5's and an HQI than I did using the Aqua Medic pendant with just the same HQI bulb. I definitely have a lot more light spillage than I did with the LED's though.

Heck yea man leave the tint off it looks really nice. Love the new lights too :)

Thanks MGDMIRAGE!

BTW... you can see where the BSJ has moved to. He went and dragged the freaking plate AGAIN! -__-

ugh... I definitely have to remove one birdsnest and possibly two of them to open the scape back up and to make room for more acros. I'll be sad to lose the diversity of having them, I still have one other birdsnest in the back that will give me at least one. The big problem is that the one I have to remove is the main home for the acro crab and the other birdsnest he hosts on occasion. I have no other acro big enough for him to host If I remove the two birdsnests. I'd hate to get rid of him :-(.

Man this whole MH/t5 combo thing everyones doing really makes me want to do a trio fixture >.<

I'll be adding some LED strips or clusters as soon as someone makes an all blue, dimmable one that can run a lunar cycle.

This tank looks great no matter WTF light you have on it! Not only is the rock sculpture incredible, but the type and placement of your corals is perfect. This is how I'd like my tank to eventually look.

I just wanna find two 70w reflectors that are around 6x6inches and then 4 t5 bulbs around the it...build my own - I just been having trouble sourcing a small reflector.

Just a fun fact you might like to know - when I google "Tanaka's pygmy wrasse", your youtube video "MedRed's Candy Basslet Pair Having Lunch" comes up on the first page :)

This tank looks great no matter WTF light you have on it! Not only is the rock sculpture incredible, but the type and placement of your corals is perfect. This is how I'd like my tank to eventually look.

Thanks Spirofucci! Loving the love from a fellow Texan!

I just wanna find two 70w reflectors that are around 6x6inches and then 4 t5 bulbs around the it...build my own - I just been having trouble sourcing a small reflector.

What size is your tank? I wonder if the aqua medic pendant reflectors are that sort.

Just a fun fact you might like to know - when I google "Tanaka's pygmy wrasse", your youtube video "MedRed's Candy Basslet Pair Having Lunch" comes up on the first page :)

Ha ha. I will need to make more videos so that I can dominate the web. lol

Where in Texas? I wish there was a fellow reefer within a 100 miles of me. No one down here has ever heard of a reef tank. My friends take a 5 second look and say, "what, no new fish?" and walk away. Their eyes glaze over when I get excited about nitrates or calcium.

Where in Texas? I wish there was a fellow reefer within a 100 miles of me. No one down here has ever heard of a reef tank. My friends take a 5 second look and say, "what, no new fish?" and walk away. Their eyes glaze over when I get excited about nitrates or calcium.

Ha ha. I'm from DFW, but I live in LA now.

Foot print is 25.75x14... what I probably should have do.e was build the fixture the length of the tank - I have a 9 inch heat sink lol. So from the bottom corner of the tank up at 60degree angle the light is well meh....so I need to fill in with either more leds. Or get dim able halide and t5 ballasts and combine all three lighting schemes to become god haha jk jk...meh

Wow, I really like the new fixture, looks great!

Keep us updated on the growth and color. I know someone that switched back to MH from t5 and growth with his SPS exploded within 4months.

Wow, I really like the new fixture, looks great!

Keep us updated on the growth and color. I know someone that switched back to MH from t5 and growth with his SPS exploded within 4months.

Thank you Asureef! I hope that is the case. I just need to keep the heat down.

looks clean and crisp, good job

Thank you!

TheNordCelt
ugh... I definitely have to remove one birdsnest and possibly two of them to open the scape back up and to make room for more acros. I'll be sad to lose the diversity of having them, I still have one other birdsnest in the back that will give me at least one. The big problem is that the one I have to remove is the main home for the acro crab and the other birdsnest he hosts on occasion. I have no other acro big enough for him to host If I remove the two birdsnests. I'd hate to get rid of him :-(.

Send him to me!

And love it with the tint gone, so much cleaner.

Archived