Coral Vue Hydros

MedRed's 60 Gal Solana XL: The End of an Era

MedRed

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's quite a character. He was afraid of the light show in the video. That was the third cycle of running the demo mode. Normally he's swimming through the water column. I just ended up with an odd ball BSJ, apparently.

Actually normal behavior for them is to be hovering outside the burrow and in the water column. So it means that he is comfortable enough with the other inhabitants to come out.

I thought LEDs gave that extra "pop" :(

The Royal Blue LED's definitely give a certain pop to certain colors. Overall, it's not enough to make up for that certain look when under T5 or MH.

Actually normal behavior for them is to be hovering outside the burrow and in the water column. So it means that he is comfortable enough with the other inhabitants to come out.

Nice. He must think the entire tank is his burrow. lol

The star fish's natural response to contact is to freeze. As long as the shrimp stays in contact the star fish will not move even when being eaten.

Good reading on the subject:

http://www.chucksaddiction.com/harlequinshrimp.html

Thanks for this! Stupid starfish!

What do you think a T5/LED combo would do? I am going to be doing a 20L, and I have a 2 bulb Coralife fixture that fits that tank, as well as my current LED's on my 10g. Do you think a combination would be good?

T5 LED with a good LED spread would work for me. The RB LEDs would pick up a lot of pop and the T5's would help the rest of the aesthetic. As long as you have enough PAR. I've come to the conclusion that this would be the best way to enjoy LED's. They need a T5 supplement for the aesthetic.

Interesting! I'll try it and let you know how it goes.

Do you have the t5s over your tank now? It would be cool to see some comparison pics to see the difference after you've had the new lights on for a while for your corals to adjust :)

I'm now getting to the point where I have to make some decisions. My torch is starting to get a bit big for its britches. I may be fragging the top half of it off this month.

I also may need to get rid of 1 or more of my birdsnests. They grow so fast and so huge that they are taking up valuable SPS real estate. The one I for sure need to do something with is the one that my Acro crab hosts the most.

I also have finally found a suitable mate for my widowed clownfish! It should be here tomorrow. I'm going to keep it in the tank in an acclimator for at least a month so that it can grow some. Doni's clowns are really small when you receive them.

I've also beaten back the bubble algae epidemic. I never imagined manual removal would be so effective. A good set of tongs/tweezers and patience wins the day!

I also took back the harlequin shrimp. When I had the Harlequin in the acclimator, I noticed that there was a lot of wasted starfish chunks all over the place (it was really gross). These chunks weren't even noticeable on the sand with subsequent starfish after releasing the harlequin into the tank. I figured I was having a nutrient spike from all of bits and pieces of wasted starfish and that was leading to my dinoflagellates. One week after removal and a large water change and the dinoflagellates are gone.

So far I've beaten Bryopsis (Kent Tech M + Lettuce slugs), Dinoflagellates (removal of messy harlequin contributing to nutrient spik), Bubble Algae (manual removal), and I've controlled red turf algae (tuxedo urchins). It's sad that the one algae I can't get to take off is the one I want. Sweet Coralline... *sigh

P.S. my fixture hasn't shipped yet AFAIK :angry:

Good move, also I thought it was pretty sad to watch the poor starfish slowly deteriorate to the harleys

I felt the same way... and then I remembered that Chocolate chip starfish would eat my corals... then I felt a little better

Weaksauce

No joke

Looking good

Thanks Criley7!

Fixture shipped today! Baby Clown arrived today! Whoohoo! Fixture set to arrive on Monday.

I went ahead and fragged my torch. The big piece I wanted to keep came out ok, but a bit ugly. The other half broke in two. One half is intact, the other half split down the both sides. I epoxied it together. I hope that frag makes it, it's not looking too hot. I guess that's what I get for using pliers like a nut cracker.

My new sump is so quiet that my vortechs seem loud now.

SouthFlorida_Tron

so whatd i miss? radion fell into the tank? or the fan sucked in too much salt and burnt the module...!? the one at my LFS is practically covered in salt and is making weird noises lol

Gonna use the radion for the sump?

-__-

so whatd i miss? radion fell into the tank? or the fan sucked in too much salt and burnt the module...!? the one at my LFS is practically covered in salt and is making weird noises lol

Hey Tron. I just enjoy the color of MH and T5 better than the Radions as far as my eye is concerned. LEDs have a lot of amazing features and I had good growth and coral color, but the tank just didn't look like how I wanted. Congrats on your TOTM!

SouthFlorida_Tron
-__-

Hey Tron. I just enjoy the color of MH and T5 better than the Radions as far as my eye is concerned. LEDs have a lot of amazing features and I had good growth and coral color, but the tank just didn't look like how I wanted. Congrats on your TOTM!

Ya I hear u on that....

And thx. But it's only POTM, I wish....tank lol

Archived