Coral Vue Hydros

MedRed's 60 Gal Solana XL: The End of an Era

MedRed

ha ha. i chopped off a lot of my sps to give some light to lower sps. Everything is growing out well now, but some of the SPS look crippled. I literally cut them back to the rock and they are growing back out now. Glad they are happy enough to grow back so quickly but it will look like the tank went backwards in growth

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TheKleinReef

ha ha. i chopped off a lot of my sps to give some light to lower sps. Everything is growing out well now, but some of the SPS look crippled. I literally cut them back to the rock and they are growing back out now. Glad they are happy enough to grow back so quickly but it will look like the tank went backwards in growth

i want that problem. :furious:

:D

yeah, my tank size is an odd zone. Too big for here, too small for the average tank size of reef central. This is my 2nd home though (FW TPT is my first home). I can't leave you guys!

Also, just bought the rock for my new scape. I think I'll hang the giesemann back up tonight. Going to use fiberglass rods, epoxy, and concrete for this build. I'd do it tonight, but i have to figure out the logistics of what to do with my original scape and getting the corals off of it.

Thanks Arkayology. The scape is coming along well. I have been a bit heavy handed with the cement unfortunately. Learning lesson for the future I guess.

How are you going about the rescape? Are you using new rock with cement, and if so a little overview would be appreciative. After you construct this new scape how are you going to cycle and swap it out?

I'm almost done with it! I just need to attach one more rock. I've been doing it piece by piece since Sunday night.

I'm drilling, and using fiberglass rods and epoxy to hold the pieces together. I'm then using Quickrete Hydraulic Water-Stop Cement to strengthen the structure. I screwed up in applying the concrete on top of the connections. It makes the structure more bulky. Next time I do a scape, I'm going to do the concrete on the underside only.

This hydraulic cement cures quickly and is supposedly reef safe in 10 minutes. Since I'm not in a rush, I plan on letting the concrete dry for a week. I will then submerse it in a tub of RO water for 3-4 days and then test phosphates (for giggles as the rock has been cooked with acid already) and I'll also test alkalinity. If all goes well, I'll add the new scape to the tank and use one of the existing pillars to cycle it.

• 1 month later...

It's been long overdue... but I've finally rescaped my tank! Pardon the cloudy pic, but i had to move some sand around. I was a bit heavy handed with the concrete which in turn made the scape bulkier. The foot that extends to the front is quite a bit bulkier than it was before the concrete. I also had to break off the tips of the arms to give a little more coral room. That makes it a bit stubbier as well. All in all, I'm very happy with the scape even if it's not as elegant as its pre concrete form. With it being horizontal, I'm now able to use just my geisemann with all the corals getting light from all bulbs.

The paly rocks on the right are just there for fauna. I think I'll add a ricordia rock or two there. i'm debating whether to make the foot of the scape a ricordia rock or just cover it in montipora. I'm also debating adding dendros to the underside and inner nook of the scape.

I did lose the piece of red dragon I added from my colony and all of the corals browned out. I don't know if it was something that came out of the scape, the fact that I dumped 2.5 gallons of RO water into the tank because I forgot to turn off the ATO, or an abundance of nutrients from the loss of the nitrifying bacteria in the old scape. I'm feeding sparingly until I'm satisfied that the tank can handle a normal level of waste.

RiuIQrW.jpg

great scape man

That scape is sexy. Can't wait to see it fill out.

Thank you!

Nice scape, how long did you cycle that rock before adding it?

Thank you. I didn't. I crossed my fingers and hoped I have enough going ton bacteria wise in the plumbing, sand, and bioreactor to hold down the fort until the rock is colonized.

Archived