inTank Media Baskets

MedRed's 60 Gal Solana XL: The End of an Era

MedRed

Yikes! Reminds me of the bobbit worms that eats zoas and ricordeas. And I thought AEFW/Red Bugs are scary.

Think bob it worm size with the capability to procreate like red bugs...

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey I was looking for some motivation on cubes and saw your post/pictures here. I see you used a bunch of different lighting and was curious what you liked best? I was planning to get a current 250w mh pendant with 64w actinic but also contemplating LED such as a nova A4 or custom with 4x 50w dreamchips.

awww. thanks kat!

cmantis, my favorite fixture was the giesemann with T5's and Halides. I couldn't get enough halide light to the sps because of my weird scape. I've settled on 3 halide pendants for a total of 550w of light. I like it much better than when I had Leds, but not as much as when I had T5's plus Halides.

jedimasterben

awww. thanks kat!

cmantis, my favorite fixture was the giesemann with T5's and Halides. I couldn't get enough halide light to the sps because of my weird scape. I've settled on 3 halide pendants for a total of 550w of light. I like it much better than when I had Leds, but not as much as when I had T5's plus Halides.

Don't they make large reflectors for stuff like that? The Geisemann is one sexy as HELL fixture, though.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Genj!

I used a CRAP ton of epoxy and a few fiberglass rods. I used these from home depot and cut the fiberglass rod into lengths I might need. I'd drill a hole in the rock, then insert epoxy into the hole, then insert the rod. I'd connect to another rock the same way. A few pieces I had to get into place, and then drill a hole through both rocks and insert a rod for extra support.

I just know my skimmer is going to go nuts. I probably used 20 sticks of aquamend/jp water weld.

I am also curious about this. Do you have pictures of the "before" pieces that you assembled together, or at least a recollection of roughly how many pieces of rock you combined to make the spires?

O

M

F

G

Wow i missed out bigggggggggg

I was on rogers euphoric 65 and got to the bottom of his op and he listed inspiration, ZephNYC | Nanotopia | Urbaneks | Metrokat | Gramophone

MedRed | Asureef | Arkayology | Rehype

I was like yup I've seen all their tanks i understand why they are his inspiration... Hey.... Wait just one second whos medred... *nr search bar* first choice this thread..... Wow this is some crazy awesomenessism

Still one of my favorite builds! I forgot to ask, have you noticed the Tiger Blenny nipping at any corals? I've always been on the look out for one since mine disappeared mysteriously but I started playing with chalices and I'm a bit worried.

Been playing around with the idea of owning a candy basslet as well. Are they interesting to watch or are on the more reclusive side?

This tank is awesome! Can't wait to see more updates. Do you have any filtration shots? I don't know if I want to go through 84 pages looking for it. If you did, aprox what date? Thx!

dvsclownfish1

They took it down and booted the person out already. I saw the pic and said to myself " Your really going to pick a easily recognizable tank to claim is yours?" Plus they said it was a 44 cube. You could so tell it was Med's by the elegance and torch next to the zoa pillar and then the clowns in the background.

• 3 weeks later...

I love this thread so much. Got my 34G Solana running for almost a year now. What is your schedule for the lighting on this tank? I have mine from 1pm-9pm and I found it a bit much for the coral.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

omg, when was the last time i posted here?

JUST AN AMZING BUILD

Thank you!

I love this thread so much. Got my 34G Solana running for almost a year now. What is your schedule for the lighting on this tank? I have mine from 1pm-9pm and I found it a bit much for the coral.

I think I'm 10am to 6pm currently

They took it down and booted the person out already. I saw the pic and said to myself " Your really going to pick a easily recognizable tank to claim is yours?" Plus they said it was a 44 cube. You could so tell it was Med's by the elegance and torch next to the zoa pillar and then the clowns in the background.

Facebook fail aquarium edition

Link it!

Caught someone claiming this tank was theirs on a local facebook page. Didn't work out well for them.

Thank you for your help!

Med. you can't deprive us of updates! This tank is too amazing to be kept under wraps. :3

Sorry :-(

This tank is awesome! Can't wait to see more updates. Do you have any filtration shots? I don't know if I want to go through 84 pages looking for it. If you did, aprox what date? Thx!

I'll have to dig some up

Still one of my favorite builds! I forgot to ask, have you noticed the Tiger Blenny nipping at any corals? I've always been on the look out for one since mine disappeared mysteriously but I started playing with chalices and I'm a bit worried.

Been playing around with the idea of owning a candy basslet as well. Are they interesting to watch or are on the more reclusive side?

No coral nipping. Just algae on rock hunting. Candies are pretty smart. Once they are settled in they will spend most of their time near the rock work but not in it.

O

M

F

G

Wow i missed out bigggggggggg

I was on rogers euphoric 65 and got to the bottom of his op and he listed inspiration, ZephNYC | Nanotopia | Urbaneks | Metrokat | Gramophone
MedRed | Asureef | Arkayology | Rehype

I was like yup I've seen all their tanks i understand why they are his inspiration... Hey.... Wait just one second whos medred... *nr search bar* first choice this thread..... Wow this is some crazy awesomenessism

Thank you!

I am also curious about this. Do you have pictures of the "before" pieces that you assembled together, or at least a recollection of roughly how many pieces of rock you combined to make the spires?

i don't think i used rods on more than three pieces on a spire. the top pieces are just epoxied smaller pieces that worked together to make a point

Don't they make large reflectors for stuff like that? The Geisemann is one sexy as HELL fixture, though.

the large reflectors are so ugly!

I was kidding. It sucks. It's horrible. Those colors, that scape, the corals, fish. Pfffft.

Merry Christmas Med. :wub:

Merry June to you! lol.

I'm seriously considering rescaping this tank.

jedimasterben

the large reflectors are so ugly!

Would you rather the single light fixture be larger but the light quality of the tank excel, or be how you have it now and have nearly half a dozen hanging? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

part of the reason i want to rescape is to go back to my giesemann. I miss it

Get a sfiligoi and you won't miss it anymore ;)

ha ha. I have decided to rescape. As soon as I figure out what I want it to look like, I'm rescaping and my giesemann is going back up!

Archived