ReefCleaners.org

MedRed's 60 Gal Solana XL: The End of an Era

MedRed

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think they peiece them either. Mine just poke at the feet till they all retract. Then they flip it over and dinner is served.

There is definitely piercing. I've watched it Everytime I've added a starfish. You can even see it in the video. The feet on the star are still out with the harlequin lifting up on the star until the harlequin sticks him. Then it seems like the starfish is paralyzed. I've observed this every single time. Those long, fang like appendages are stuck into the underside of the star and then it stops moving long before the star gets flipped.

This'd fang like appendages are their feeding claws. Look closely and you can see tiny claws on the end of them. My pair don't stab the star they just pokes it feet till they can flip it. Then start eating.

This'd fang like appendages are their feeding claws. Look closely and you can see tiny claws on the end of them. My pair don't stab the star they just pokes it feet till they can flip it. Then start eating.

I agree..it just pokes them until the starfish "feet" retract and it allows the harlequin to easily flip it over.

Wow that's nice who made it?

Thanks! John @ Advanced Acrylics here in SoCal. Just needed something with baffles but pretty open otherwise so I can fit all of my junk in it. I love having so much room! I just switched everything over and realized I don't have enough salt water to start the pump -__-

I have just enough water in the sump to keep my bioreactor going. Vortechs are keeping the main tank going and the sump only has new saltwater in it. Luckily I had already started on a new batch last night.

The other sucky thing is that I have a significant investment in 7" Filter socks and the new sump uses 4" socks. Oh well. Just got back from picking up a few 4" socks.

I like the red.... :D

Me too. It matches the skimmer and my dosing containers

Thanks! John @ Advanced Acrylics here in SoCal. Just needed something with baffles but pretty open otherwise so I can fit all of my junk in it. I love having so much room! I just switched everything over and realized I don't have enough salt water to start the pump -__-

Ive always loved john work.

:o:P:ninja:

I would have kept it a secret until I could take pics, but I have a dirty trail all over the internet at this point.

it's red?! does it come in pink?! fingerscrossed

ha ha. that'd be awesome!

I also like the Red, Med.

Back to old school with the lights? That's a proven combo for coral growth and looks! The only negatives are heat and bulb changes

a Geisemann Infiniti w/ 250w HQI and 4 T5's.

When I saw the subtopic I knew it had to be a geisemann....I've been doing a lot of research on these...I'm really contemplating doing a combo fixture mh/t5/led with a geisemann...the tanks with these fixtures make me cry

I also like the Red, Med.

Back to old school with the lights? That's a proven combo for coral growth and looks! The only negatives are heat and bulb changes

Thanks Spirofucci. You summed it up.

When I saw the subtopic I knew it had to be a geisemann....I've been doing a lot of research on these...I'm really contemplating doing a combo fixture mh/t5/led with a geisemann...the tanks with these fixtures make me cry

The only thing I wish I had now are integrated moonlight. There is a geisemann moonlight fixture with a lunar cycle, but it's not made for a tank as small as mine.

I'm going to have to figure out a moonlight solution. I may also need to get a controller now... *sigh

On the other hand. I LOVE my new sump! I love all of the room, I love not having microbubbles, and it's also a lot quieter than my last sump. I'm a little nervous on how soon a 4" sock will clog compared to my old 7" socks. So far so good!

It's definitely well built.

Attn: Everyone... a fundamental shift in the lighting of this tank is coming soon.

There seems to be alot of people going back to T5/ MH from LED's. I've been thinking of trading/selling mine as well for the last few months.

I am loving the tank and the aqua scape. Pretty awesome. Just out of curiousity, how much did that sump run you and what are the dimensions?

There seems to be alot of people going back to T5/ MH from LED's. I've been thinking of trading/selling mine as well for the last few months.

Noooooooooooooooooo

My 4inch socks take 6 days to clogged...and I feed HEAVY

That's good to know. I usually change the socks every week or so and I'm a pretty light feeder

Hype's transition back made mine easier. I'd been thinking about.

I am loving the tank and the aqua scape. Pretty awesome. Just out of curiousity, how much did that sump run you and what are the dimensions?

Noooooooooooooooooo

thank you! You've got a PM.

Why the switch back MED?

Curious why you would give up the radions ?

I just couldn't get the corals to look right. I had great growth with the radions, and the corals colored up nicely, but the tank was just missing that extra pop.

Archived