Pod Your Reef

Acrylic goodies... Picotope lids

glazer

Hey Matt.... no buddy, don't have a template for that one. For all those that have asked or are wondering, if your tank in something other than a rectangle or a square I will need a template for it. The only templates I have on hand are for the picotope and a couple of really oddball tanks people have sent one for.

Templates need to be made on some type of decently "thick" type of paper... manilla folders for example or craft paper. Cut outs for cords, filters, skimmers, etc. don't need to be made on the paper. You can just draw their location on it and write down the dimensions. Be forewarned, you get back exactly what you send me. If you cut some kind of whacked template, then you get back a whacky top..(yeah, it's happened :rolleyes: )

Steve

Glazer, just a thought for that surface skimmer box. If you glue some strong magnets in the box you'll be able to 1) mount the box flush up against glass 2) be able to put a little more faith in the it not moving than with the suction cups.

Just my $.02 You're work looks amazing. If I ever need anything like this, I will be sure to give you a shout.

coating the magnets well is the hard part imo. ive tried this method in the past with great success, its how my mp10 box is mounted but you do have to be careful with the amount of weight it will take

I've actually done the magnets... here's the deal. To keep the box flush to the wall of the tank you have the thickness of the glass plus that of the acrylic to deal with. Magnets are usually rated in the pounds of force required to separate them, or what they can lift. This has nothing to do with shear strength... in other words, how much they can hold when two objects are trying to slide past each other.

So you need to end up going with a pretty strong magnet... strength equals dollars. To keep from having to go with some super uber strong magnet you need to have the backside of the box coated/layered with some type of non-skid material. Thin rubber/neoprene sheeting or the like. Not a bad idea to do the same for the outside the tank magnet. The interior magnet also needs to be sealed really well... this isn't too much of a challenge as I can just cut a recess into the acrylic and encapsulate it with the acrylic (what I have done and did before), it just takes time. The bottom line is it all comes down to cost... materials and labor.

I've had really good luck with current suction cups I use... they seem to be holding as well as holding up great. Unless somebody goes all custom on a box I sell these things for 25 bucks. Strong neo magnets aren't really all that cheap (main reason big magnet cleaners can cost over a hundred bucks) so you factor in the added cost of the materials and labor that box can almost double in price.... I'm totally down with doing it, I just haven't found anyone that wanted to spend that much on one....lol

Steve

Edited by glazer
thadscottmoore

I have to admit- I like these products! makes me want to buy another nano tank to buy and install these products!

Hmm, do you not have the nano model? The interior box on those is pretty small.. actually about the same size of the boxes I make. If you have a larger model the problem trying to downsize the inside box is having enough room for the "U" tube to fit the two boxes. If you can angle the tube you might be able to cut down on depth from front to back of the box but you gain width... the top to bottom dimension is also determined by the length of the "U" tube... of course you could cut that down some. I think you would just be better off going with the smaller Eshopps and well, if that's what you already have I don't think there is much I can do to go smaller my friend.

And Dave... sure thing, just let me know what you're looking for.

Steve

I dont have the nano. its one up from that one. it looks like the inside box on mine has about the same dimensions as what you make except that mine is 8" long. id like to cut that back to about 3.5 to 4". I can always cut the U tube if its too long. The thing about a smaller eshopps is I have a 20 gal sump and like a fast turn over rate. the nano is only 200gph.

Just a quick FYI - I have a couple of the Eshopps nano overflow boxes, and I am pushing about 350gph through them, and they handle it fine. Only issue is a little noise so I use the tubing trick...

Sorry to hijack - Glazer makes some nice products!

So I just got the Skimmer Box I ordered and I have to say.......

Holy S@#T! This thing is awesome. The workmanship is MUCH better than the original Eshopps internal box. This guy does good work! If anyone out there is looking for something like this, then this is the guy to go to!

Some pics of before:

post-52289-1302739120_thumb.jpg

And after:( kind of kicked up some crud while changing the box, pay no mind :blink:

post-52289-1302739130_thumb.jpg

Thanks wfor the kind words Sean, glad you like it... Wow! talk about picking up some real estate in the tank, eh?

Steve

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Glazer, Can you make a lid for an 12x12 cube w/feeding sorry? PM me price- I'll get a accurate dimension later.

Pm'd ya ;)

Steve

Can you make me a nc 24 lid with feeding door. And do you need a template

Yes and yes ;)

If anybody is interested in a lid for anything other than the picotopes or tanks that are just basic squares or rectangles I will need you to make up a template for me. I don't own or have access to any of the nanocubes, biocubes, aquapods or any of the other all-in-ones so the template part is pretty critical on getting right. I won't be able to test fit of course so whatever you send me is what you get back.

Steve

• Recommended Discussions