ReefCleaners.org

Yoshii's 10g Macro & Gorgonian Tank - 5 Years Young (Retired)

yoshii

I couldn't resist! My new black leaf is in quarantine :)
Here's a cell phone pic

He looked a little more black at the store (dim led lighting) but it's ok if he's a little brown

IMG_20131226_091252.jpg

• Like 6

"Leafy" my yellow leaffish will finally have a friend! :) If funny cause this whole time I've been telling myself I wouldn't get another leaffish, and then I saw this guy...and I thought I NEED THIS FISH NOW

(Why yes I have excellent fish-naming skills)

• Like 1

"Leafy" my yellow leaffish will finally have a friend! :)Its funny cause this whole time I've been telling myself I wouldn't get another leaffish, and then I saw this guy...and I thought I NEED THIS FISH NOW

(Why yes I have excellent fish-naming skills)

YEAH THAT's WHAT YOU TOLD ME! >_>

• 5 weeks later...

Bad news, the black leaf jumped out in quarantine :'(

I also went on vacation, and took a few pics of stuff I found on the dirty glass when I got back

IMG_3574re.jpg

Eggs!
IMG_3574crop.jpg
A close up of the eggs towards the bottom of the previous pic (easier to see their "packaging")

IMG_3588re.jpg

I have some of these guys, but their population doesn't really grow and I'm not concerned.

IMG_3606re.jpg

• Like 2

Are those like snail eggs or fish eggs?

What kind of camera do you use? It's like you're taking pictures with a microscope...

Snails eggs, Nass I think

They are the reason I haven't cleaned the glass yet. After they hatch I can get some pics of the leaffish ("Leafy")

Canon EOS 60D, I used the stock lens (18-55) with a macro extension tube

• 1 year later...

Talk about a late update... :P

I'm excited to post some updated pics of this tank tonight! It's getting pretty again (after quite some time or neglect)

Ok, actually I'll post a teaser pic in a few min ;)

• Like 1

This is such a cool display....I haven't gone browsing for a FTS yet. Just wondering, isn't 10 gallons a little small for a leaf fish? I don't have much experience so I was wondering. I wish I could have one someday.

You're in luck, TheElysia!

The power went out tonight for a bit, so for now here's just a FTS after the power turned back on

IMG_8252.jpg

Sorry it's a little messy, some stuff got stirred up when the pumps turned back on

TheElysia, this is my scorp care guidebook, I don't question anything Renee or Greg say when it comes to scorps! There are more detailed guides for each species, but I don't have the link atm

The gorgs are pretty new, I'm still questioning the placement of the Corky Finger (on the right)

• Like 2

Here's the star of the show, Leafy! This pic was taken a few days ago, so this is more his normal coloration (in the FTS he's getting ready to go to sleep and turn a paler yellow)

IMG_8223.jpg

• Like 4

Here's the star of the show, Leafy! This pic was taken a few days ago, so this is more his normal coloration (in the FTS he's getting ready to go to sleep and turn a paler yellow)

IMG_8223.jpg

Unbelievable. That is absolutely stunning. I can think of no higher praise except that this tank is, in my respective opinion, better than 95% of the reef tanks out there. I am now tempted to try out a leaf fish or maybe an angler display someday...

Everything looks great and spot-on, nice aquascape. Wonder what the fuzzy algae covering the cave is, maybe Cladophora? 'cept for the little Aiptasia poking out the side it's all perfect. Even he doesn't look like he's up to much trouble. Maybe move the corky finger down and to the right a tiny bit, but otherwise.....man I am so jealous.

And could you please tell me where you got all the gorgonians and macro from?

Thank you for such kind words! :blush:

I love Leaffish/scorps, I'd recommend one for anyone who likes unique fish!

I like to call it "Bob Ross Algae" Cause it reminds me of his hair lol
I have a guess in the first post of this thread, but I think I bookmarked a more specific ID I came across a few weeks ago, I'll go dig for it

That is one thing I'm trying to figure out - how to get rid of the aiptasia. I tried a larger peppermint shrimp, but Leafy ate it anyway
The ones that grow on the macros are easy to remove, but that big on the right is growing on the rock

All the gorgonians came from my LFS, Baja Reef (if you're local)
The macro has come from many different sources over the years. My first macros were given to me by another NR member, Maria. I've ordered from reefcleaners.org and live-plants.com, although sadly quite a few of the cooler macros from those places died off when I stopped pruning any they were shaded out by other macros

Quite a few of my macros are picked off rocks from the LFS :lol: I actually have a little piece of another new one waiting for me at the LFS, I just keep forgetting to pick it up
My most recent addition of the "Red Flame" algae is from a LFS in Davis, CA

No, it's much more stiff/course than hair algae. It's kinda like if chaeto was straight and grew like turf

Do you have a tank thread for it? I'd love to follow along

Also, nice avvie, one of my fav smaller angelfish, they have cool personalities

Here's a quick cell phone pic

That long string piece is a piece of chaeto, for reference

IMAG4266-1.jpg

• Like 1

I don't have a tank thread, at least one that I update. Think I started one months ago but dropped it because it's been a mess. Battling GHA for a while, and just starting to get it under better control. Just started a thread for my reef though. I have been looking for maiden's hair algae or similar, but no one seems to have any, so i just got GSP :P

Do you have a tank thread for it? I'd love to follow along

Also, nice avvie, one of my fav smaller angelfish, they have cool personalities

thanks, he/she is certainly one of the best fish i've ever owned. But I suspect that me feeding it so much is contributing a lot to my GHA/cyano problem lol. so long as it's happy.

A good CUC can really help, plus, of course more water changes

I want to add more macros to this tank, but live-plants is kinda low on stuff this time of year :( I really just want their Hypnea Pannosa

I want to add more macros to this tank, but live-plants is kinda low on stuff this time of year :( I really just want their Hypnea Pannosa

I would love to see this tank with even more macro! Hypnea is one of those blue-shaded macroalgae, right? Ochtodes or even a blue Padina from LA reefs on Ebay (I got one for an 8 gallon macro tank before) I'd suggest, I like both of those. If my opinion's not very good (which wouldn't surprise me at all), I think ORA aquacultures Hypnea, so you might be able to get some if you contact one of their dealers.

P.S. Get Padina anyway, I love it. I don't care what color :D

They're all pretty similar, I like all of them, the difficult part is getting a hold of some!

Padina used to grow on my powerhead lol

Ha

Live plants and LA Reefs carry Ochtodes, you just gotta wait for them to get in stock. In the meanwhile......have you considered Sargassum at all? That stuff's cool

Yep, that's what I'm waiting for them to get in stock!

Sargassum is awesome, I think I still have a tiny little holdfast left on a rock in this tank, hopefully it didn't get lost
Sargassum also takes up a lot of room in a small tank like this, so I'm not sure if I'd want it in here. Maybe in my 55 instead

• Like 1