Top Shelf Aquatics

Yoshii's 10g Macro & Gorgonian Tank - 5 Years Young (Retired)

yoshii

Sorry, I did not read all 152 pages, so if it was addressed elsewhere please forgive.

The lid on the aquarium was left off to reduce temperature of water.

An equally, if not more important law of nature is the exchange of co2 between water and air at the surface. During photosynthesis, oxygen is produced and carbon dioxide is consumed. When lights go out, oxygen is consumed and carbon dioxide is given off. Carbon dioxide in water forms a weak acid that would lower pH. This is tracked very easily with probes and IMO is normal. In our small tanks, the critical factor is oxygen, with fish being the first victims. Good circulation at the water air interface with either agitation or surface skimming to remove scum is vital. This, combined with open top, allows passive circulation enhances evaporation as well as co2 gas exchange.

• 1 month later...

Loving this tank making me want to start my own macro-algea tank but canada has many laws against these crazy nice colours. what are you using for a light ?

Subsea, I didn't have a cover on this tank, it was open top

Loving this tank making me want to start my own macro-algea tank but canada has many laws against these crazy nice colours. what are you using for a light ?

I know there are quite a few Canadian reefers on here, I'm not familiar with importation rules, but maybe you can ask others

I used an Odyssea 50/50 PC fixture and a purple T8 bulb for supplement

• 2 years later...
Floundering_Around

Hi, you may have already posted it but what do you feed the gorgs? Looking to change my tank over to a mixed reef with predominantly gorgs. Of course, my overachieving self wants orange tree, blueberry, etc. I was wondering what, if anything, you feed them.

I currently have a yellow finger frag that gets benepets powdered reef mix, BRS reef chili, detritus from stirring the sand bed, and occasionally frozen rotifers and frozen BBS. Dry foods get fed every day/every other day and frozen less often.

Any tips, please and t(h)anks :)

7 minutes ago, Floundering_Around said:

Hi, you may have already posted it but what do you feed the gorgs? Looking to change my tank over to a mixed reef with predominantly gorgs. Of course, my overachieving self wants orange tree, blueberry, etc. I was wondering what, if anything, you feed them.

I currently have a yellow finger frag that gets benepets powdered reef mix, BRS reef chili, detritus from stirring the sand bed, and occasionally frozen rotifers and frozen BBS. Dry foods get fed every day/every other day and frozen less often.

Any tips, please and t(h)anks :)

First, I just want to say that your avatar picture is my favorite aquatic meme ever! I crack up every time I see it, I wished people used it more lol

I would definitely advise against getting a blueberry gorg. As beautiful as they are, they just don't survive in our tanks, and then you just get sad as your gorg slowly dies and you have to throw away $80. As far as non-photosynthetic gorgs go, the solid orange (Swiftia) I had in this tank were much easier. Gorg food I remember feeding powdered coral food, and some liquid filter feeder food like Ocean Nutrition's Oyster Feast. The more foods you mix in, the better chance you have of having a happy and healthy gorg.

Also, don't forget about photosynthetic gorgs! They are way easier than the NPS gorgs and can nicely fill out a gorg tank 🙂 I would recommend looking at these beautiful gorg/softie tanks for some great inspo: Felicia's, Ziareefer's, and Kimberbee's.

Side note: This tank is no longer running, but you can read a summary about its care at this TOTM page

• Like 4
Floundering_Around
1 minute ago, yoshii said:

First, I just want to say that your avatar picture is my favorite aquatic meme ever! I crack up every time I see it, I wished people used it more lol

I would definitely advise against getting a blueberry gorg. As beautiful as they are, they just don't survive in our tanks, and then you just get sad as your gorg slowly dies and you have to throw away $80. As far as non-photosynthetic gorgs go, the solid orange (Swiftia) I had in this tank were much easier. Gorg food I remember feeding powdered coral food, and some liquid filter feeder food like Ocean Nutrition's Oyster Feast. The more foods you mix in, the better chance you have of having a happy and healthy gorg.

Also, don't forget about photosynthetic gorgs! They are way easier than the NPS gorgs and can nicely fill out a gorg tank 🙂 I would recommend looking at these beautiful gorg/softie tanks for some great inspo: Felicia's, Ziareefer's, and Kimberbee's.

Side note: This tank is no longer running, but you can read a summary about its care at this TOTM page

Thanks much. Photosynthetic gorgs are definitely on the list as well