Pod Your Reef

Yoshii's 10g Macro & Gorgonian Tank - 5 Years Young (Retired)

yoshii

There should be a rule that your tank has to stay up and running the whole month it is TOTM. ;)

:lol: I'd love to have this tank running for 10 more years if I could!

Moving sucks :(

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Wow! Congrats on the totm! It's been a while since I've visited nano-reef. Going to go read through the entire thread now

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa.

yoshii made jjjo come out of hiding. Keep up the good work. :)

Wow! Congrats on the totm! It's been a while since I've visited nano-reef. Going to go read through the entire thread now

Thanks jjjo! Haha good luck, it's kinda crazy in there ;)

I thought you were gone forever!! Nice to see you around here again :)

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa.

yoshii made jjjo come out of hiding. Keep up the good work. :)

Hahaha jjjo, you should stay!

• Like 1

Tank started September 2010Current FTS, 8-22-15:IMG_806922.jpg---Quick note - actual pics of anything start on page 7

Equipment Odyssea 65w 50/50 PC Fixture Koralia Nano Powerhead A heater I forgot the name of (taken out for summer) AquaClear 20 Filter LivestockFish Solomon Island Percula Clownfish (Amphiprion percula) Pearl Cardinal (Apogon sealei) Copper Stripe Cardinal (Apogon margaritophorus)CUC/Inverts Scarlet Leg Hermits (Paguristes cadenati) "Tongan" Nassarius Snails (Nassarius distortus) Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis) Peach Tube Anemone (Cerianthus sp.)Gorgs Orange Tree - Orange Polyp (Swiftia exserta) OrangeTree - Red Polyp (Swiftia exserta) Purple Brush (Muriceopsis flavida) Purple Branch Yellow Finger (Diodogorgia nodulifera) Red Finger (Diodogorgia nodulifera) Corky Finger Thin Orange Tree - I don't even know a common name for this oneMacrosMARIA GAVE ME MACROS :wub:Thank you Maria for those macros you gave me in 2010 when I was just starting up this tank, I'll always remember the excitement of opening your package! It really gave me the extra enthusiasm and passion that fuels this tank, Thank You Always! Caulerpa Prolifera Titan Algae (Titanophora sp.) Chaeto (Chaetomorpha sp.) Red Grape "Caulerpa" (Botryocladia occidentalis)HH Rhodymenia holmesii "Bob Ross Algae" (Cladophoropsis sp.)?Gracilaria hayi Money Plant (Halimeda discoidea or H. opuntia) Red Feather (Porteria sp.)Sargassum sp.Bryothamnion sp.Hypnea pannosa (knock off blue Ochtodes) Shaving Brush (Penicillus sp.) Pink Galaxy (Galaxaura sp.) Codium (Codium fragile?) Flame Algae/Dragon's Tongue (Halymenia sp.) Unk bulbous red macro (some kind of bubble algae I have yet to ID)+ a variety of red and green macros I haven't IDed yet

You are so welcome! I am just happy you found a hobby that you love :)

Congrats on TOTM chicka! Well deserved!

You are so welcome! I am just happy you found a hobby that you love :)

Congrats on TOTM chicka! Well deserved!

Thanks! :)

You're the reason I love macros so much :lol:

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I know right! I'm glad I got it :) Thanks for the encouragement guys!

Thanks! It's fun to have bright colors and keep the ~10/12k lighting :)

I've got them from various places, but most recently I got macros from live-plants.com. They are my fav place for macros

The Flame Algae was going everywhere, I think I'm going to prune it more next time

Anyways, here's the new FTS! (click for better view)

IMG_806922.jpg

Oh, one more thing. Look at the purple gorg on the right! It looks awful :( It hasn't been recovering from the hermit's attack. A few more days and I'm going to take it out if it doesn't start improving :(

In other news, this tank's 5th birthday is coming up! Come September this tank will be 5 years old :eek:

Holy Cheese Nuggets, this is beautiful!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

wow just WOW!

LOVE this tank. I did not read the whole thread but the 1st pic is just amazing. just what I want to do with a 20L.

really love macro and gorgs, both are under appreciated in the reefing community.

thanks so much for the inspiration!

• 3 weeks later...

Holy Cheese Nuggets, this is beautiful!!!!!!

Holy cheese nuggets, Weetabix complimented my tank! omgomgomgomgomgomg:wub:

wow just WOW!

LOVE this tank. I did not read the whole thread but the 1st pic is just amazing. just what I want to do with a 20L.

really love macro and gorgs, both are under appreciated in the reefing community.

thanks so much for the inspiration!

Thank you! Post/PM a link if you start a thread! :)

• Like 4

Yoshii,

For certain your tank is a gorgeous interpretation of a macro/gorgonian lagoon. I noted that you were moving the tank to a dorm room. As a grower of utilitarian macro algae, I appreciate the beauty you have created with your tank, knowing it takes an abundance of TLC to achieve the clean natural look to your tank.

Good fortune to you in your college career. If you approach everything in life with the passion you have shone with this tank, you will be a success in whatever you choose.

• Like 2

Yoshii,

For certain your tank is a gorgeous interpretation of a macro/gorgonian lagoon. I noted that you were moving the tank to a dorm room. As a grower of utilitarian macro algae, I appreciate the beauty you have created with your tank, knowing it takes an abundance of TLC to achieve the clean natural look to your tank.

Good fortune to you in your college career. If you approach everything in life with the passion you have shone with this tank, you will be a success in whatever you choose.

Thank you for such kind words Subsea! :flower:

I've transferred some of the macro from this tank into my dorm tank (thread here)

I've had to move the tank back and forth for school breaks, but I won't have to move it again until June so I hope in that time I can really cultivate it and get a similar lush look as this 10g.

School is going great, I'm majoring in Marine Biology and San Diego is the perfect place for me :)

• Like 1

I almost went to that school. Instead, I choose the Texas Maritime Academy as a Marine Engineer.

Is Carlsbad close to where you are? Carlsbad Aquafarms is a mariculture facility that grows: oysters, clams and muscles as well as ediable macro there. Red Ogo is Gracilaria Parvispora and is a delicacy to the Hawaiians. It is also called "Tang Heaven Red". IndoPacific SeaFarms in Hawaiia sells a pound of "Tang Heaven Red" for $70 delivered to your door.

We are generous when it comes to the things we cherish.

I almost went to that school. Instead, I choose the Texas Maritime Academy as a Marine Engineer.

Is Carlsbad close to where you are? Carlsbad Aquafarms is a mariculture facility that grows: oysters, clams and muscles as well as ediable macro there. Red Ogo is Gracilaria Parvispora and is a delicacy to the Hawaiians. It is also called "Tang Heaven Red". IndoPacific SeaFarms in Hawaiia sells a pound of "Tang Heaven Red" for $70 delivered to your door.

We are generous when it comes to the things we cherish.

UCSD is pretty close to Carlsbad, about 15-20min from La Jolla (with no traffic).

Wow that's a cool major :o

Oh cool I didn't even know of a facility like that was around here!

I think a pound of gracilaria would make my tank overflow :lol:

That's actually a bit of an issue I have with my smaller tank, if I order macro from somewhere like Gulf Coast Ecosystems, I literally won't have even space for it all

• Like 1

UCSD is pretty close to Carlsbad, about 15-20min from La Jolla (with no traffic).

Wow that's a cool major :o

Oh cool I didn't even know of a facility like that was around here!

I think a pound of gracilaria would make my tank overflow :lol:

That's actually a bit of an issue I have with my smaller tank, if I order macro from somewhere like Gulf Coast Ecosystems, I literally won't have even space for it all

http://www.carlsbadaquafarm.com/

I had come across this place ten years ago, when pursuing live food like amphipods, copepods and rotifer.

The reason that I mentioned Red Ogo is I raised it for human consumption in the Austin area as a specialized produce. Because of poor marketing, I never made money with this hobby business. However, I was a hit at many ejammer parties with spicey ceviche. I would supply three dishes to mix as desired. The vegans had a bowl with a vegetable cheviche marinade heavy on the lime. Red Ogo has a very nice crisp texture that is enhanced when chilled, so I floated Ogo in chilled salt water. When Ogo is marinated with cheviche it becomes limp and loses its crispness. The third dish was a marinated protein, I like shrimp.

Consider having a party with food grown thru aquaculture on the roof of your dorm.

Consider feeding hungry people with aquacultured food grown in a green house.

Enjoy your major, you will impact the world.

• Like 1