inTank Media Baskets

Yoshii's 10g Macro & Gorgonian Tank - 5 Years Young (Retired)

yoshii

They're fine without water? I've always received macros in water

A few local reefers have called dibs, but if I have leftovers I'll try to ship out some :)

I plan to continue this tank in a 3 or 5g (combing with my current 3g) so I've also got to keep some of my fav macros

I'm glad you like it :)

Ok guys, I got tied up in a few things after work, so for now here's a teaser - the cell phone view from my bed

2015-08-22%2020.19.52.jpg

I'll post the "real" FTS tonight, but the east coasters will probably be sleeping by then

I am a east coaster and now I like a teaser. Were do you find all of those nice macros

The tube anemone fits so perfectly in there!

I know right! I'm glad I got it :) Thanks for the encouragement guys!

I love all the bright colors you have. It's a show stopper.

Thanks! It's fun to have bright colors and keep the ~10/12k lighting :)

I am a east coaster and now I like a teaser. Were do you find all of those nice macros

I've got them from various places, but most recently I got macros from live-plants.com. They are my fav place for macros

The Flame Algae was going everywhere, I think I'm going to prune it more next time

Anyways, here's the new FTS! (click for better view)

IMG_806922.jpg

Oh, one more thing. Look at the purple gorg on the right! It looks awful :( It hasn't been recovering from the hermit's attack. A few more days and I'm going to take it out if it doesn't start improving :(

In other news, this tank's 5th birthday is coming up! Come September this tank will be 5 years old :eek:

• Like 12

Can't even tell it's 5 yrs old. Same sand since then? It looks so perfect. And it's a HOB filter and that's it, right? What do you keep in the HOB?

Can't even tell it's 5 yrs old. Same sand since then? It looks so perfect. And it's a HOB filter and that's it, right? What do you keep in the HOB?

The tank has changed a lot (for the better!) in the past few years.

Yes, it's the same sand except for a little bit I added around the tube nem

The HOB is an AquaClear 20. It just has the stock media in it, those ceramic tube things and the filter sponge block

• Like 1

The tank has changed a lot (for the better!) in the past few years.

Yes, it's the same sand except for a little bit I added around the tube nem

The HOB is an AquaClear 20. It just has the stock media in it, those ceramic tube things and the filter sponge block

I love it, simple.

LOVE the new tank shot! All the primary colors really make this tank. Very different from a regular reef tank. :)

Sorry that gorg isn't doing well. It definitely looks pretty bad :( I love that type of gorg, so hopefully you can find a replacement for that one!

LOVE the new tank shot! All the primary colors really make this tank. Very different from a regular reef tank. :)

Sorry that gorg isn't doing well. It definitely looks pretty bad :( I love that type of gorg, so hopefully you can find a replacement for that one!

Thanks Felicia! :)

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to take it out :( The hermit really picked at it

Looks awesome! Got my vote for TOTM.

Thank you! :)

Would not have guess a hermit could do that to a gorg! I need to remember to keep a closer eye on mine.

I know! I'm watching the rest of mine more closely now

Here's a blurrier FTS

IMG_809822_1.jpg

• Like 8

Nice picture B)

Also (though it doesn't help solve the problem) the gorg may have been having some health issues and the hermit was doing some opportunistic feeding. It looks like the problem is progressing some more as well. :( I always was horrible with gorgs so I don't have anything of value to offer in terms of advice. But I hope it turns around for you.

how often do you feed this tank?

I usually feed the fish every day. The gorgs I feed on average every other day

Nice picture B)

Also (though it doesn't help solve the problem) the gorg may have been having some health issues and the hermit was doing some opportunistic feeding. It looks like the problem is progressing some more as well. :( I always was horrible with gorgs so I don't have anything of value to offer in terms of advice. But I hope it turns around for you.

I thought about that, but it was doing well in another tank and did good in this tank for a while. It could be that, but I saw the hermit also go after pieces of the gorg that were healthy too :(

• Like 1

I don't know why but due to his brightness, the clown almost looks like a sticker plastered on the glass. Anyone else get that? He's just so sharp against the contrasting whispy colors. It makes it even more outstanding.

I know right! I'm glad I got it :) Thanks for the encouragement guys!

Thanks! It's fun to have bright colors and keep the ~10/12k lighting :)

I've got them from various places, but most recently I got macros from live-plants.com. They are my fav place for macros

The Flame Algae was going everywhere, I think I'm going to prune it more next time

Anyways, here's the new FTS! (click for better view)

IMG_806922.jpg

Oh, one more thing. Look at the purple gorg on the right! It looks awful :( It hasn't been recovering from the hermit's attack. A few more days and I'm going to take it out if it doesn't start improving :(

In other news, this tank's 5th birthday is coming up! Come September this tank will be 5 years old :eek:

Beautiful! I love the shaving brush plant next to the anenome. Such a nice contrast of shapes and colors :wub:

Sorry about the gorg, but are you sure it isn't just still recovering? Sometimes my purple gorg closes up completely for a couple days and then opens right back up. My little morgonian gorgonian closed up for about two months for no apparent reason, and suddenly started opening back up a couple weeks ago. It's almost back to normal now.

Christina, I have been quietly lurking on your thread for a few months now. Today i realized that your tank has some longevity when i saw it was 5 years old so i went to the beginning of your thread and read every other page. What an amazing journey and i am inspired. Your macro algae is so healthy and lush and controlled. I also have macros in my seahorse tank but I don't have the vibrant color that you have or manicured look. I guess you prune a lot and do you dose anything? Reading every other page I am sure I missed some pertinent details. Anyway, awesome tank!

• Like 1

I don't know why but due to his brightness, the clown almost looks like a sticker plastered on the glass. Anyone else get that? He's just so sharp against the contrasting whispy colors. It makes it even more outstanding.

Haha I think it's also because he's in focus, and in the center

I love my Solomon clowns, their colors are always so vibrant!

Beautiful! I love the shaving brush plant next to the anenome. Such a nice contrast of shapes and colors :wub:

Sorry about the gorg, but are you sure it isn't just still recovering? Sometimes my purple gorg closes up completely for a couple days and then opens right back up. My little morgonian gorgonian closed up for about two months for no apparent reason, and suddenly started opening back up a couple weeks ago. It's almost back to normal now.

Thank you! :)

Yeah I'm sure, it's not just closed up, the flesh is visibly messed up :(

Christina, I have been quietly lurking on your thread for a few months now. Today i realized that your tank has some longevity when i saw it was 5 years old so i went to the beginning of your thread and read every other page. What an amazing journey and i am inspired. Your macro algae is so healthy and lush and controlled. I also have macros in my seahorse tank but I don't have the vibrant color that you have or manicured look. I guess you prune a lot and do you dose anything? Reading every other page I am sure I missed some pertinent details. Anyway, awesome tank!

Oh wow, that's a lot of reading! I know there was a lot of shenanigans too :lol:

Thank you! This tank has come a long way, even in just the past 2 years

Yes, I do prune certain macros a lot. The Flame Algae likes to grow long "branches" and there's a species of caulerpa that looks like mini C. prolifera, but that stuff grows super fast

I don't dose anything, I just try to feed a lot.

• Like 2

Happy 5th birthday to this tank! omgomgomg

normal_1291645668.JPG

I don't know what exact day I started this tank, but I know it was started in September 2010.

It's weird this is my youngest tank.

Also, I bought something cool the other day... :ninja:

• Like 7