ReefCleaners.org

Yoshii's 10g Macro & Gorgonian Tank - 5 Years Young (Retired)

yoshii

hmmm...are your macros growing very fast?

Recently, not really. They're growing, but slower probably cause of the GHA and I also reduced the light schedule

...what i meant is that you QT the rock...or just scrub the GHA off with a toothbrush?

:lol:

Well there's other macros/coral/sponges etc growing on that rock that I want to keep, plus I doubt scrubbing it would rid the rock of all the GHA

Magiksurfman

_...what i meant is that you QT the rock...or just scrub the GHA off with a toothbrush?

Well there's other macros/coral/sponges etc growing on that rock that I want to keep, plus I doubt scrubbing it would rid the rock of all the GHA _

scrubbin rock sux and its only a temporary fix it will be back whithin a week, youll probably have to run the tank low nutrient for a while till you wipe out the gha it will slow you macro growth but since its already slow might as well get rid of the gha. Though i have have to say i have no experience with gha and a macro algea tank since im more or less a noob in the arena but i did get rid of it in my reef. I forsee this problem happening in my tank so im following along to see what works- if the gha it gets out of hand why not quarantine the macros and throw an algea crew in. the turbos in my reef tank seem to love the stuff and the little green hermits, i had scarletts in there too but they just chill on the rocks and dont really go to town on the stuff, lazy little punks. im also curious about the nudi's sinc yoshii's looks so bad @ss but im not sure if my tank is nudi proof or nudi sustainable.

Darn it! I just realized I forgot to get one of these awesome nem shrimp I saw at my LFS today :(

I think they were either Ancylomenes sarasvati or Periclimenes holthuisi

then where's the GHA?

The other rocks

Magiksurfman, I agree about scrubbing the rocks, it will help for a bit but the algae will come back. I guess I will just have to get rid of the nutrients :/ I hope my other macros don't die

Anyways, here's some new pics, (I made no attempt to clean up any GHA btw)

UnkRedMacro.jpg

Idk what kind of macro this is, but it may be a pest

RedDictorya.jpg

Red Dictyota

FTS-Angledown.jpg

Angle

FTS_3_13_11.jpg

FTS, although messy with the media bag on the K! and floating breeder holding some macros, and all that ugly GHA

it kinda looks like red GHA :P

Kinda, but the tips are different, you can't see it in the picture cause it was swaying the current a bit

It looks like this

e2302c452b81__1300141708000.jpeg

Edited by yoshii
You should try to get a led.

Planning to soon :)

Anyways, I think the shrimp at my LFS might be Urocaridella antonbruunii or some kind of Urocaridella sp.

3863596830_a7476d29cb.jpg

You should try to get a led.

Here's some options I'm considering:

Kessil 10k or 15k, at first I thought the 15k was too blue, but it's growing on me...

DSC08690_a150w_ocean_blue.jpg

I really like the fixture almost an desk lamp look, but idk about the spotlight effect :/ Idk how strong the effect would be on a 10g

The shimmer on this thing is INSANE! If you look at the sand, it's almost too much shimmer, give you a headache. It has more shimmer than other LED fixtures cause it's like 20leds all in one(if that makes sense?)

Illuminarium NanoBox 60 Version 2.0

50W_panel1.JPG

Expensive though :eek:

LEDWholesalers 50 Watt High Power

2514-001.jpg

Looks nice, and it's cheaper, but kinda square

I'm back!!!!!!!!

That's a pretty neat shrimp. :)

Is it just me or did you sig get bigger too?

7f985e125a3a__1300584527000.jpg

2aec7ce21c71__1300584065000.jpg

I'll take better pics Sun night or Mon

Kinda random, but today I got stung by a marine organism for the first time xD

I know some people are pretty sensitive to stinging corals and get rashes etc when they touch coral, but I've rubbed my hand on all sorts of frogspawn, hammers, chalices, carpet nems, bristleworms, etc and never got stung

Well there's this weird coral? thing at my LFS, I think it's some sort of branching hydroid colony, no one really knows what it is lol It used to be in the display tank, but someone moved it and I wanted to know if it was soft or hard or whatever, so I ran my fingers over some of the "branches" all the little polyps closed up but nothing happened. Then later in the day my friend told me not to touch it cause it would sting me, so I touched it again to prove to her it didn't sting, and of course, then it stung me <_< It still hurts a couple hours later

That was my I'm-bored-on-NR-so-I-wrote-this story

altolamprologus
Kinda random, but today I got stung by a marine organism for the first time xD

I know some people are pretty sensitive to stinging corals and get rashes etc when they touch coral, but I've rubbed my hand on all sorts of frogspawn, hammers, chalices, carpet nems, bristleworms, etc and never got stung

Well there's this weird coral? thing at my LFS, I think it's some sort of branching hydroid colony, no one really knows what it is lol It used to be in the display tank, but someone moved it and I wanted to know if it was soft or hard or whatever, so I ran my fingers over some of the "branches" all the little polyps closed up but nothing happened. Then later in the day my friend told me not to touch it cause it would sting me, so I touched it again to prove to her it didn't sting, and of course, then it stung me <_< It still hurts a couple hours later

That was my I'm-bored-on-NR-so-I-wrote-this story

HA! i told you they sting you when you least expect it. and you thought it was weird that my hammer stung me...to a person who has no idea i'm talking about coral, that sentence would sound extremely weird

HA! i told you they sting you when you least expect it. and you thought it was weird that my hammer stung me...to a person who has no idea i'm talking about coral, that sentence would sound extremely weird

Ohh today there was some frogspawn that had some sweepers out, so I stuck my hand in them to see if it would sting me like what happened with you and your hammer, nope, didn't sting me at all :lol:

Lol it would!

I feel sorry for people who are so sensitive to coral stings, did I tell you Joleen got stung by a candy cane the other day? She gets stung by like everything

altolamprologus
Ohh today there was some frogspawn that had some sweepers out, so I stuck my hand in them to see if it would sting me like what happened with you and your hammer, nope, didn't sting me at all :lol:

Lol it would!

I feel sorry for people who are so sensitive to coral stings, did I tell you Joleen got stung by a candy cane the other day? She gets stung by like everything

aww poor joleen, maybe she stop touching everything :P