inTank Media Baskets

New Experimental Macro and Sponges Thread

johnmaloney

that is how the second one photographs for me, (except mine are blurry lol) but I like it better in person. Bumpy algae has always been cool to me. Beware of damsels around it, at least beaugregorys and taurus and orangeback damsels. Sgt majors seem to be fine.

The first one isn't so experimental except for the color, it seems indestructible care wise. That is the brown bush gracilaria species weetie has in an earlier pic, I have it under actinics now for awhile, (different specimen than you JBM, same species), and it is a wine red now/almost purple. I bet with the right amount of blue light it can go purple...anyway I am trying with it, it is very color variable. What color lights do you have on it JBM?

that is how the second one photographs for me, (except mine are blurry lol) but I like it better in person. Bumpy algae has always been cool to me. Beware of damsels around it, at least beaugregorys and taurus and orangeback damsels. Sgt majors seem to be fine.

The first one isn't so experimental except for the color, it seems indestructible care wise. That is the brown bush gracilaria species weetie has in an earlier pic, I have it under actinics now for awhile, (different specimen than you JBM, same species), and it is a wine red now/almost purple. I bet with the right amount of blue light it can go purple...anyway I am trying with it, it is very color variable. What color lights do you have on it JBM?

I don't think that one likes high light.

I had it under MH for a short while and it started to fade in spots so I moved it to a shadier area in the tank.

I have leds. So color is changeable on the fly. I try to keep it around 14k

my clown was interested in it at first. but eventually left it alone

I lost a post somewhere... well here is a shorter one :)

- oh that is a good point, i have it under a halide fixture but I haven't set them on, they are on the left side of a 4 t5 fixture, with all actinics. Definitely growing though. I had halides on for a while on that tank, but it is one of 2 40B and the light runs really just in the middle so it was out of the halide spotlight by about 8 inches or more. Bottom of the 40B, light fixture 8 inches off the water. (the current usa (4)54wt5ho + (2) 175w halide

- clowns seem to behave better around macros than most damsels. good to hear he left it alone

I don't think that one likes high light.

I had it under MH for a short while and it started to fade in spots so I moved it to a shadier area in the tank.

Granted its still early to give a definite answer, but so far the algae seems to love my led array. 6 royal blue 4 cool white. I have the power set at approximately 40% blue & 60% white. I'm no led guru, but I would say it's atleast as powerfully as a 175w mh if not more.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to say that you are the shiz John!!

Thanks for the great macros :o once again u have out done yourself in my eyes.

I <3 Reef Cleaners

Reef Cleaners Fo' Lyfe!!!

I am throwing up the Reef Cleaners gang sign right now omgomgomg:lol:

Archived