Coral Vue Hydros

Clam thread

reef keeper

Yeah that is an awesome shot. Nica clams and zoa collection.

I wonder why clams look so different when you looking from top down than right in front of the tank.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah that is an awesome shot. Nica clams and zoa collection.

I wonder why clams look so different when you looking from top down than right in front of the tank.

Because clams are not like corals in that their color is a pigment. Clams color is a refraction of light. Sort of like the toys we had as kids where you move it different ways and you get different colors or images. Their mantle refracts light. So depnding on what direction you are looking and what color tone the light is, will depend on how the clam looks.

I set it back up, its not really a reef tho atm. I sold the MH, and I have the 20L macro tank with a t-5 setup now.

but I had that clam back in june.

I see a lot of these clams placed on the sandbed... I thought they were supposed to be placed in the rock? I have a 28 gallon NC LED and was wondering if the lighting would support a crocea on the sandbed?

I see a lot of these clams placed on the sandbed... I thought they were supposed to be placed in the rock? I have a 28 gallon NC LED and was wondering if the lighting would support a crocea on the sandbed?

The suggestion is no less than 20 inches with a 150 14k metal halide. Nanos are usually short enough that the sandbed is ok. I have no idea about an LED.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=114475

Yep croceas are rock boring.

My first clam. His name is Happy Isa Clam. I've only been reefing for 24 years, wasn't sure if I was ready for a Tridacnid, but I decided to take the plunge....

I give you....Happy!!!!

IMG_3375.jpg

A nice little derasa.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
My first clam. His name is Happy Isa Clam. I've only been reefing for 24 years, wasn't sure if I was ready for a Tridacnid, but I decided to take the plunge....

I give you....Happy!!!!

IMG_3375.jpg

A nice little derasa.

Twenty four years and you're not sure you're ready? -_-

Pretty derasa, by the way. Derasa clams are real easy to keep, I say easier than fish. :lol:

Archived