Coral Vue Hydros

20xL mixed rimless - SELLING?

d9hp

great build d9hp. Love 20Ls.

I'm planning one when I move. Not final on where the parents might be moving. Funny that they were thinking of NC since that is where you live.

I have been thinking a lot lately on doing LED. Where did you get all of yours. I was told by evilc66 to do a 12x2 array and yours is 12x3, but yours is longer right.

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I totally see why you would buy an ro/di unit, but I'd pay for a refractometer and/or a pH meter before a tds, because any decent ro/di unit that isn't straight up broken will make clean fresh water.

IMO/IME/YMMV, etc etc

I don't think water with >0TDS is worth using, especially after what happened after the last water change. This will also tell me when the filters in the RO/DI are in need of replacement. I understand that a decent ro/di will make clean water but I want perfect water. It's not worth losing anymore livestock.

As for a refractometer: My reef is topped off between 100-150 times a day with ~<10mL of water each time. The salinity is at 1.0245 measured by a refractometer at two different LFS and 1.0255 on my hydrometer. During water changes I check the display and 'fresh' water roughly 4-5 times each and make sure they match. I don't think the value is nearly as important as mitigating fluctuation.

Same thing with pH. I don't really think that's a problem until you check it, as has been said a few times before. The controller has the capability of being expanded to incorporate pH meter but I just can't see the need really. It doesn't change more than 0.2 throughout the course of an entire day.

We'll see once I have an RO/DI, I guess it might just push out perfect water right away?

The TDS meter was only $20 and I think it will really be useful.

great build d9hp. Love 20Ls.

I'm planning one when I move. Not final on where the parents might be moving. Funny that they were thinking of NC since that is where you live.

I have been thinking a lot lately on doing LED. Where did you get all of yours. I was told by evilc66 to do a 12x2 array and yours is 12x3, but yours is longer right.

Thanks JT.

When I had my 7 minibow I dreamed of a 20L or a 40B. I think this looks a little larger than it is because of how long and skinny it is.

The LEDs are great and I love having the color change throughout the day. It shows the full range of color on the corals.

I got all of my equipment from nanotuners.com and heatsinkusa.com. Great things to say about heatsinkusa.

12x2 is fine and mine is actually 13x2. I chose to go this route only because my drivers can each handle 13 3W LEDs each (meanwell eln d's). I have good coverage but I actually wish I had waited until I had my filter and skimmer in place because I'm wasting about 3 LEDs by having 50% of their light go into my surface skimming box. Certainly not something I'm losing sleep over. :)

TDS meter comes tomorrow, RO unit comes on Friday.

Yesterday I went to a guy's house that was thinning out some SPS colonies. Spent $20 and got like 8 different species. Awesome? You're telling me!

Did a 2 gallon water change today. Went way better than the larger ones. Makes me want to start doing multiple 1 gallon changes a week.

5165588704_077044105b_b.jpg

The polyp on the left popped up a few days ago. These things are growing fast!

5164986531_5a8f1e6bb6_m.jpg

A yellowish brown acro

5164986727_e39c6e5d9e_m.jpg

Three millepora frags

5165589496_1a4098f3f8_z.jpg

Need to get a MP10 when I have the money. There's a frag swap in a month though so hopefully I can get a few more acan morphs then. We'll see I guess. Definitely going to start letting things just grow out. Should look great in 6-9 months.

What powerheads are you running in there? I just got myself a 20g L (not rimless, thinking about making it rimless though, lol), and I am in process of having a 2nd LED fixture made for me for this tank. I will be hanging the fixture much higher up and running them at higher power (less LED's in the end).

Anyway...I just ordered a Nano Evolution 420, maybe I should get 2? Or are you running the 240s?

looks awesome

Appreciate it

What powerheads are you running in there? I just got myself a 20g L (not rimless, thinking about making it rimless though, lol), and I am in process of having a 2nd LED fixture made for me for this tank. I will be hanging the fixture much higher up and running them at higher power (less LED's in the end).

Anyway...I just ordered a Nano Evolution 420, maybe I should get 2? Or are you running the 240s?

I have two Koralia 420s, one MJ1200 for the skimmer, and an AC70 basically at full blast.

That works out to roughly 300gph (AC70) + 300gph (MJ1200) + 800gph (2-hydors)

So you'd think that a 1400gph / 15g (actual water volume) ~= 93x turnover rate would be sufficient but there are PLENTY of dead spots in the tank. I even have lots of intersecting currents to maximize the random flow but it just doens't seem to cut it.

There's a spot in the sand where the flow is too high from the HOB filter but honestly the little powerheads suck. They're a great size and you can point them just about anywhere but I honestly don't think they're useful for a tank that's longer than 20". I can barely feel the water flow from 2-3 inches away from the front of the powerhead. For softies and LPS it's probably perfect but if you want any SPS at all you're GOING to upgrade to the MP10. I was told the same thing 10 times and kept saying $200 for a freaking pump? Screw that I'll buy these two for $60. Well this hobby is freaking expensive and you end up spending $260 when you upgrade later.

Sorry for the rant but I really am kicking myself for not buying the MP10. It's just something I didn't think I'd need. If you plan on keeping your tank up for more than 6 months you'll most likely get some SPS and wish you had the MP10 to begin with. :)

***Got in my TDS meter today. The feed is only 104ppm, which I think is pretty good. AZDesert said that Raleigh is better than the national average so I guess that adds up. Should mean my filters will have an easier job! The RO/DI comes tomorrow.

Great deal on the SPS.

Yeah now let's just hope I get some growth in the next few months

nice tank..

So the water general RO/DI unit came in last week and I got it running. Simple. It works. Raleigh's tap water is incredibly clean I guess because the the TDS is only ~100ppm going into the filter, roughly 2ppm coming through the RO membrane and 0ppm out of the DI chambers. I know I should have them mounted vertically but I'm making like 6 gallons of water a week and I plan on changing it whenever I need to so whatever. It works and fits in the space without me having to spend any more money right now.

5179621013_3ff9402724_z.jpg

0!

5180220636_668412a93f_z.jpg

5179620409_b58348b17c_z.jpg

Shaded acan getting some color

5179620169_994da9219b.jpg

There's a tiny mushroom growing on the glass...pretty cool!

5179620057_2b95c3d2f3.jpg

Everything hasn't been so spectacular though. I think that the clouding was either from the phyto I was using (from the LFS) or the 2-part because all weekend the tank was cloudy. I'd turn the lights down for a few hours and it would get better and then turn them up and bam. Clouding. Then yesterday there was cyano on the sandbed in a few places. Worst feeling ever. Siphoned some and did a water change and didn't feed yesterday or today. Another 15% change tomorrow and everything should be good. I think I got carried away feeding the new bangaii or something.

Hopefully things will settle over the next few days.

--Some good news I forgot to mention, the frogspawn has a second mouth!

They're a great size and you can point them just about anywhere but I honestly don't think they're useful for a tank that's longer than 20". I can barely feel the water flow from 2-3 inches away from the front of the powerhead. For softies and LPS it's probably perfect but if you want any SPS at all you're GOING to upgrade to the MP10.

Amazing tank, very impressed! I hope my tank looks a fraction as good as yours dude.. wow...

Would u recommend 2 750's? and not think about the mp10? its still 100bucks cheaper.. just asking.. thanks

Amazing tank, very impressed! I hope my tank looks a fraction as good as yours dude.. wow...

Would u recommend 2 750's? and not think about the mp10? its still 100bucks cheaper.. just asking.. thanks

I'd probably go with the 425s and a good HOB (AC50 or 70 would be ideal) because of their small size. The thing with the 750s is that they have strong directed flow that never changes. The MP10 is that strong but it's consistently changing the intensity. Two 425s certainly won't hurt though if that's all you can swing for now!

Thanks for the compliments. Really means a lot.

So I figured I'd update since I've made some changes.

I'm not longer using the rotifer culture from the LFS. I think the clouding had to do with that to some extent.

Growth from the corals has been negligible overall with the exception of the birdsnest, bird of paradise, GSP, frogspawn, and xenia.

The big kenya in the back has been shedding lots of limbs so I don't think it's doing so well. All the limbs are going in the back right corner behind the rocks at the overflow. I'm hoping to make that some sort of a forrest pod resort type thing since there are so many pods doing somersaults back there as it is.

Here's the big changes to note, which I guess is more for me to remember than to entertain you guys...

• Upped ESV B-ionic dose from 3mL to 5mL - alk has been at 10 and calcium between 360-380 so well see if this helps
  • Was given a bottle of kent zooplex so I dose 2mL of that every other day with the phytoplex I've been doing
  • Quit the iodide drops with WCs all together
  • Started adding two drops of oyster feast to the tank daily (as of today)
  • Doing 1.5-2.5 gallon water changes twice a week now

The cyano that popped up over the weekend is gone entirely. I did a water change on Sunday and one yesterday. It's amazing how much better things look. The smaller changes are so simple.

I could do one everyday --> http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...60&start=60

So I guess it has been said a million times but I really do think the corals show benefits from changes (even just 10%) within an hour of changing it. I make them with the lights on and none of the corals even close up. It's great. Takes less than 5 minutes to accomplish.

Anyone using ESV 4-part salt?

I feel like using instant ocean just isn't ideal for a mixed reef but almost every thread about 'best salt' links threads that are no longer available...so essentially all I get from searching the topic is people saying "SEARCH THE DAMN TOPIC IT GETS ASKED TOO MUCH"

Exams are soon. Huge reports and such so I won't get to take many photos in the next few weeks (until the Dec 4th frag swap).

Here's a serious update so I can have something to compare the growth to.

5184872095_bf6a49e564_z.jpg

PE after feeding just 2 drops of oyster feast...

5185471332_b806939cce_b.jpg

People love to hate GSP but this piece is unrealistically metallic green. Makes the tank, hands down.

5185471652_e9649b8302_z.jpg

Small experiment to see if I can get some GSP to cover this part of the sand that gets blown away.

5185472032_dbb3a7789a.jpg

Zoas that are doing best...

5185472352_a4ea043976.jpg

The second head of this frog is directly BEHIND this one...but it's definitely splitting.

5184870983_5d94c91576_z.jpg

Cambria the occ...probably going to have to take the perc back because they still aren't dancing. not fighting..but not dancing.

5185472726_c4700e9789.jpg

Darth...easiest fish to photograph of all time...also the meanest at mysis time. Definitely fits his name as he has become the resident bad guy.

5184871419_560ac21069_z.jpg

And an updated FTS -- I love the purple cap in the middle. Can't wait for it to fill in. Had to use some 'shadows' to bring up the lower light stuff but it's all there!

5184871887_9afd3fec5b_b.jpg

Shot with a D60 and a 1:1.8 35mm prime lens.

What % of power aer you running your lights now? I have a 10g na o reef with 24 led's 12xrb and 12x white.

I have been running my blues full blast and my whites at about 70%. I wonder if I'm running to much light?

Nice! I am about to start a 20L frag tank next month. This tank will become a display when I go to college, and I am lovin' the 3 island scape. :)

Sweet...I probably won't get to set up another tank for at least another 2 years so this one has lots of growing to do.

Thanks...I don't plan on changing it for a while.

Me thinks its a stylo

Thanks Trick!

that is a beautiful tank!

¡Muchas gracias!

What % of power aer you running your lights now? I have a 10g na o reef with 24 led's 12xrb and 12x white.

I have been running my blues full blast and my whites at about 70%. I wonder if I'm running to much light?

It changes constantly throughout the day. I'm using a 2-channel I2C DAC (5V output) from the controller to feed a 2x op amp circuit that then feeds (0-10V output) both meanwells. Blues go from 0-100% over an hour and stay there all day until they come down. Whites stay at 50% most of the day essentially except for 2 hours they ramp to 100%. PM me if that doesn't cover it.

Looking good. Those monti caps look very natural where you put them.

Thanks man. I'm hoping they grow out and make some nice shaded areas for some acan frags eventually. I'm going to let things coast a bit for a while though before I start getting more livestock.

Parameters are all good...except I'd like to see a boost to both alk and Ca.

Thanks again everybody

I'm going to let things coast a bit for a while though before I start getting more livestock.

:lol: :lol: The only thing that has effectively stopped me from buying more is finances, good luck :) good Idea for shading that acans. Its been a challenge keeping low-light corals in the 20 long dimensions for me as well.

Tank is looking great,

Id watch that gsp tho,

That thing will take over your tank within a year.

Thanks shiver. I've got a knife in the stand and I'm not afraid to use it :) Seriously though, It's growing like crazy. It's in an area where I really don't mind it though. I actually quite like the coral as it can be seen from across the room. Under the blue LEDs it essentially dominates the tank.

I definitely won't let it get off that one island though...

:lol: :lol: The only thing that has effectively stopped me from buying more is finances, good luck :) good Idea for shading that acans. Its been a challenge keeping low-light corals in the 20 long dimensions for me as well.

Yeah I know how that goes. I was fortunate enough to get some help with school doing a little research and so the money I saved while working in CA has gotten me here. I have an interview tomorrow for a part time position for next semester though...we'll see how that goes.

It is rough with the lighting but fortunately I can tone it down pretty easily. I have a LOT of different SPS in there now though and they really aren't localized to the top of the tank so that was a pretty poor scape oversight. Everything seems to be self-adjusting in order to compensate for the lack or excess of light accordingly...with the exception of that acan. It's looking better everyday!

Thanks shiver. I've got a knife in the stand and I'm not afraid to use it :) Seriously though, It's growing like crazy. It's in an area where I really don't mind it though. I actually quite like the coral as it can be seen from across the room. Under the blue LEDs it essentially dominates the tank.

I definitely won't let it get off that one island though...

I've read so much about how gsp is a problem, etc etc -- I think it looks amazing in your tank.. the lighting, the contrast, the location -- it really does pop out in the pictures

Archived