Coral Vue Hydros

WARNING Zoanthid and Palythoa fraggers!

bulldogpet

palytoxin is an urban legend. like mole-human hybrids living under new york.

Tombstone is hot this time of year...you must have been in the heat...

good info, i still don't wear gloves, but good info none the less. now there are times that i'm working in my tanks scrapping glass and such and i pull my hands out and my skin tingles but that goes away with a good hand washing in warm water.

I suspect that one's reaction to contact with various bio-toxins/foreign proteins can generate a wide range of reactions. Some of the most potent, possibly death where others may not be effected.

I am certain that I have had at least some level of allergic reaction from handling zoas and palys bare handed. Many other times I have had no problem. On at least three seperate occasions I was either moving or fragging them when I began to feel a little nausia. I then noticed the tell tail "taste" and weird feeling in the back of my throat that would indicate an acute allergic reaction. The symptoms subsided after about 30 minutes and a dosing of Benadryl (Diphenhydramine).

Years ago I suffered an anaphylactic reaction to eating ants...long story, I teach wilderness survival. I had been trained to deal with anaphylaxis but had not experienced it myself until then. On these three occasions I felt the same, minus the swelling shut of my throat and increased heart rate (which may have come given enough time.)

There is no doubt that the reaction was from some exposure to the coral. I am more cautious these days. I limit exposure and wash thoroughly after handling. I wear gloves when fragging.

It is kind of like a statistic that I share with my students:

"The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission records an average of about seven alligator attacks every year, yet they are rarely fatal: since 1948, only 17 humans had been confirmed killed by the huge reptiles."

That doesn't mean that I swim in gator infested waters or try to wrestle them when I see them. At least not usually. Some precaution is needed whether you know someone who has been attacked, poisoned or not.

So do as you like and Darwin will sort fact from fiction. My wife has a juicer so maybe some PPEs for a $500 fatal smoothie?...Hmmm

marinekeeper
Jesus..how many times a day does this have to be brought up? Try using search, it works.

I've rubbed paly snot all over my eyes and open wounds, NOTHING happens.

You havent been here long enough to bich!

Well, thank you Mitch. You did indeed prove how toxic palytoxins are however warning reefers about fragging palys is a little absurd since I haven't heard of any deaths or even trips to the hospital on any boards with any credibility (obviously excludes NR).

I'm planning on going home and fragging myself to death tonight, beat ya to it!

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...44&hl=toxin

something even milder than PT.

Walking_Target

Great googly-moogly. This thread again.

Yes, you can get palytoxin poisoning if you rub zoas/palys into your open wounds, mucus membranes, eyes, swallow them, etc.

You can also get acute flesh eating strep from a cat scratch.

Or various strains of near-leathal E. Coli from unwashed produce.

Yes, it's a serious consideration, but wash your hands, wear safety glasses and wear gloves if you have open/half healed wounds. And don't lick your coral.

• 2 months later...
Backwerds Man
No proof...still...

Bringing this back from the dead. But this is my first time reading this thread. So :P

Proof? Are you saying plytoxins dont exist? It's scientifically proven.

C129 H223 N3 O54(aka palytoxin)

Palytoxin.png

Palytoxin exhibits extremely strong toxicity by bonding to Na+, K+-ATPase and opening the ion channel. Palytoxin Poisoning has many symptoms and usually causes death within minutes.

Supposedly, Hawaiians even harvested Paly's to poison the tips of their spears.

No proof...still...

I also removed my last post because it was a little harsh. You guys trash me as much as you want but until you have some proof it's a bunch of nonsense. BTW the rubbing on my eyes was obviously very sarcastic for those of you who didnt pick that up but there's no doubt I've gotten junk in open cuts MANY times with not a single reaction.

Plus one on this I can say I got a 2" L x1/2 deep cut on the side of my thumb from a well covered in zoa/paly razor

• 1 month later...

i always thought it was just what they call palythoa grandis or moon polyps or something like that. i have absolutely shredded hands 24/7 and i havent had issues, but carpet anem's dont bug me either so i must not be sensitive in that respect.

Jesus..how many times a day does this have to be brought up? Try using search, it works.

I've rubbed paly snot all over my eyes and open wounds, NOTHING happens.

What is your problem? What satisfaction does it bring you to flame people over an online forum.?

Wow...get over yourself. Why are ALL your posts like this?

+1. Some people need better things to do than to ridiculing someone for trying to help.

I always use my fingers to scrape my zoas off the rock and put them on frag plugs. Sometimes the juice gets around my face. I'm still here. :happy:

gulfsurfer101

Add one to the survivors list again on the old thread. I have constantly butchered hands as well and when I see I polyp that's just begging to get chopped, well, I do it. I do it naked, I do it quick. I never use rubber or latex and have been slimed many a times with no trips to the clinic as of yet. Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones though. I'm not saying palyotixin is not rea, just not real dangerous in the zoas you will most likely be cutting up.

I don't think ALL zoas are that deadly. One of my reef club members boiled a rock of nuisance palys and the palytoxin evaporated into the air. It made his entire family very sick, however he survived. I think the only way somebody would die is if they ate an entire colony of palys. :lol:

U want to eat a paly meat sandwich? B)

other then that don't worry.

Very played our post that's been debunked a million times over.

But please don't attempt to make money off of the sale of paly's/zoas because our sales will go down lmfao

"OH OH, I like,TOTALLY already knew that like, palytoxins like, existed already and everthing, and I totally like, frag barehanded all the time with no problems!!hmmmahahahah!!!!!" For the love of Moses, Is it too difficult to spot a topic that youre already familiar with and then just move on? So much meaningless garbage to sift through on here for a dude like myself,who isnt familiar with the topic, and is just trying to get some info. Thanks for the thread Bulldog.

I have handled zoas bare handed. I haven't had a reaction yet. Not saying I won't. After handling, I immediately wash my hands well. I think somoene I know has had a bit of tingling sensation with his fingers after handling them, I mentioned paly toxin and proceed with some caution.

Be careful, keep clean and wear goggles (I wear them because I am utterly afraid of visual issues)

If you're doing stupid things with any oceanic creature, you sort of deserve to fry. Good luck out there to all paly players, may you frag safely and without any random poisonings :3

I don't want a zoa sandwich. zebra perhaps. I'm all for eating animals of the alphabet but I am stuck on what in the world is an X starting animal that is not an xenia?

Xantis - yak

Xanthareel - yellow eel

Xenurine - a species of armadillo; a cabassou.

Xoni - mystical creature.

Xylophone Cat- A cat that is only by legend but some claim to have seen it.

Those would be my choices ;)

• 2 years later...
Reefer_Girl

palytoxin is an urban legend. like mole-human hybrids living under new york.

Where do you think the idea of Shredder in teenage mutant ninja turtles came from... :blink:

19jeffro83
A girl on my local forum's dog died from palytoxin last year.
is this really true? How did the dog get a hold of them?

Archived