Pod Your Reef

gutterguys breeder,beer and bbq

gutterguy

Looks good! I especially like the deep-towel-bottom. It should culture some interesting bacteria...

What did you use to glue the rocks together?

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great scape.

Also, love the granite top. I had thought about doing something like that for my stand but the cost was a pretty serious deterrent. WIsh I had scored a slab for free dollars!

MP 20 came today!!!!! Thanks Thunderstruck,

Media reactor should be here soon and tank will be set up this week

IMAG0419.jpg

Finally set up. I was exactly as much of a pain in the ass as I thought it would be. Humping bucket up steps back and forth. But looks better than I thought it would. Just need to wait until its totally cleared up so I can finish scapiing and place the corals. Also need to set up brs reactor.

IMAG0430-2.jpg

IMAG0437.jpg

IMAG0436.jpg

Still Have to get all my wires cleaned up.

IMAG0435.jpg

IMAG0433.jpg

Now time to relax for the evening

i want to upgrade my tank from my 6g to something bigger JUST so i can get a vortech haha

how are you liking yours? stupid question, i know...but everyone has their opinions!

i want to upgrade my tank from my 6g to something bigger JUST so i can get a vortech haha

how are you liking yours? stupid question, i know...but everyone has their opinions!

Mine has only been running for about an hour and a half but im sure it will be great

Awesome setup. That's the best looking stand I've seen for a 40b by far.

Thanks Poodges, sorry to see you breakin down the 40

Glass holes kit is very loud. Any ideas to quiet it down

I've got the 750 and have tried almost everything to get it really quiet but have not been able to do so fully. I did get it to quiet down considerably by doing the following:

1. Make sure your drain pipe has as few sharp turns (90s) as possible and there is a smooth transition from the drain to your sump (pipe slightly submerged, etc)

2. Slow down you're return pump flow...I found 300-400 GPH to work best for me. Luckily, I've got a Ehiem compact 3000 with adjustable flow but you can use a ball value as far from the pump as possible.

3. Fiddle with the vent pipe to find the position that is most quiet. Move it up, down, left, right, everywhere. Trying to get it to vent as well as possible.

3. The most effective thing has been to put something inside the overflow itself. I initially used a thin layer of filter media. However, now, I bunched up a bunch of plastic gutter guard mesh material and put that in the length of the overflow. This doesn't create a nitrate trap as the filter media would eventually unless you change it and there's less risk of it getting sucked down and blocking the flow causing me massive trauma when my wife sees 10 gallons on the wood floors in our office (almost happened :) )

All this and I still can't get mine as quiet as my dual hang on back u-tube overflow I used to have on my 90.

Hope it helps.

There is a guy on here that got so fed up with the noise that he plugged the holes he drilled and is now running sumpless. I chose to drill the bottom and make a herbie stand-pipe. Some others are saying foam in the overflow will quiet it down... sounds risky to me.

Thanks nanogeo, i just dialed down my pump and it actually made a pretty good difference. I was thinking the opposite and had it cranked up to fill as much water in the return as possible. I will also try the gutter screen,(I have my own gutter buisness and just threw some of that away). If that queits it down some it will probably be good.

Also I did see that other guy that plugged his returns because the tank sits next to his wifes desk or something. Mine is in my living room, there is always a tv going and 3 kids yelling and screaming so the only time you really here it is at night.

Thanks guys

gg

Also I did see that other guy that plugged his returns because the tank sits next to his wifes desk or something. Mine is in my living room, there is always a tv going and 3 kids yelling and screaming so the only time you really here it is at night.

Thanks guys

gg

That would be me! :)

I think the main problem with the noise is that the box is too small for the large drain it requires.

Thanks guys

gg

I don't mind the noise of running water too much either...I even find it a bit relaxing. Since my tank is in my office, I do wonder sometimes if others can hear it when I'm on conference calls...would be interesting to know what they thought was going on...perhaps someone taking a leak?!?! :)

That would be me! :)

I think the main problem with the noise is that the box is too small for the large drain it requires.

Drew i think you are right. Before I placed my order as inquired about the 1500gph box with just a single hole and they said they could do it but they talked me out of it.

My pump is dialed down now for about an hour and there is a big difference in sound, you can still hear the gurgle but it is not at annoying level.

Archived