Cultivated Reef

gutterguys breeder,beer and bbq

gutterguy

I have been using Reef Crystals since I set up the 40. i love the way it mixes quickly (Instant ocean never fully mixes for me) As far as mag is usually is a little low around 900 to 1000. I was boosting it up with kent-m but that was to rid byropsis in the 29. Cal stays about 400. I think my skimmer is overpowered for the tank too and I feed pretty heavy also.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well after at least 4 weeks I finally did a water change. For the most part everything still looked great and growing. Even noticed a cluster of zoas that doubled in size. I have noticed some alge growing in the sump and a few spots on the glass. That was something that I noticed also, that usally I only have to clean the glass every 3-4 days and now it was almost everyday.

I had all intentions of testing the water before the WC but forgot due to life happening. Tests after WC

PH 8.2

Cal 460

Mg 1440

Nitrate 0

Dkh 8.4

Heres some new pics. I had the ISO set wrong so they are fuzzy.

IMG_0694.jpg

IMG_0693.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0688.jpg

IMG_0687.jpg

IMG_0686.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg

IMG_0683.jpg

IMG_0682.jpg

IMG_0676.jpg

IMG_0675.jpg

Some of the truck with the rack

IMAG0906.jpg

IMAG0910.jpg

Hey the rack on the truck doesn't look anywhere near as distracting as I thought! And I just realized that we could probably ship some stuff to each other priority and have it basically be overnight! *sniff sniff* I smell future trades!

Hey the rack on the truck doesn't look anywhere near as distracting as I thought! And I just realized that we could probably ship some stuff to each other priority and have it basically be overnight! *sniff sniff* I smell future trades!

Thats true, im going to have to get out the dremel!

Great colors and judging by the white tips on the birds nest it looks like you are seeing good growth.

Thanks latte, I have had that in there for about 4 months and was never quite sure if it was going to make it. Then about 2 weeks ago I noticed the white tips getting bigger. I think im ready to try some other sps frags.

gutterguy

Well my yellow clown goby is MIA and presumed dead. He was the first fish I bought a little over a year ago when I set up the BC29.

ycg321.jpg

I have been wanting more movement in the tank to Im thinking of picking 5 chromis and also keeping an eye out for a midas blenny locally.

tundrashaul

Sorry bout the clown goby man.

That rack is nice, can you hump your brake up onto that thing?!

We used to put hooks on the risers of the rack and were able to hang our brake from the side of the rack when I was doing res. carpentry last year while electrical was slow.

gutterguy
Sorry bout the clown goby man.

We used to put hooks on the risers of the rack and were able to hang our brake from the side of the rack when I was doing res. carpentry last year while electrical was slow.

Thanks tundra,

No the brake is going in the bed. Even if I put hooks on it wouldnt work. Brake is 10' and the bed is only 6'8, so that would be kind of jacked up. I go through phases of using it every day to using it once every two weeks.

tundrashaul

Yeah I realized the 4th door, he had an extended cab with an 8 foot bed so it just covered the back side window. We did a lot of siding so it was a must, and rack was filled with ladders and walk boards. I remember when I started and they had me cutting the metal in 10' sections, I asked if ten foot was code and he said its all that would fit in the brake. it was a Doh :wacko: moment on my end! :lol:

Umm.... That's what she said? ;)

Sorry about the YCG. I actually just got one for the 15. Replace him with a green stripe goby. They're funny little critters and you can have bunches of em.

gutterguy

I had a a green citron goby for about 6 hours before he went carpet surfing

New FTS

IMG_0698.jpg

You just got the green goby? I would think that something was chasing it for it to jump? Mine doesn't seem to swim enough to consider jumping.

Perhaps you should build a lid like mine. Lemme know if you want some pictures, or even where to order the clear mesh. Mine was well worth it. Saved my hogfish and my jfish.

gutterguy
You just got the green goby? I would think that something was chasing it for it to jump? Mine doesn't seem to swim enough to consider jumping.

Perhaps you should build a lid like mine. Lemme know if you want some pictures, or even where to order the clear mesh. Mine was well worth it. Saved my hogfish and my jfish.

I think my lawnmower blenny chased it out. I do have a sheet of acrylic that I just need to cut down but have been to lazy to. Also my light clamps onto the inside of the rim as well as the outside so If I make a mesh one it will have to have a couple of ins and outs. It may be a project in the future

• 2 weeks later...
latteslave

Sorry about the goby. Those guys are usually pretty calm.

Your tank is looking great, your coral placement is awesome! What is the coral on the top left side, looks almost yellow/white.

Sorry about the goby. Those guys are usually pretty calm.

Your tank is looking great, your coral placement is awesome! What is the coral on the top left side, looks almost yellow/white.

Thanks latte, that coral is a Pavonia (cactus) coral. Its tripled is size in a year plus I have broke off a few frags. Its actually a beige color with green polyps

crappy older pic

MonJan31180340EST2011.jpg

Every once in awhile it will put sweepers out. Some people have had bad luck with these being really aggressive towards other corals, but I have had no probs.

• 3 weeks later...

Been a while since I did any updates. Mainley because theres nothing to update. Been pretty status quo. Havent added anything and havent lost anything. Everything seems to be having some growth. My daughter was able to borrow a dslr camera so I took some shots.

DSC_0192.jpg

DSC_0195.jpg

DSC_0188.jpg

DSC_0187.jpg

DSC_0184.jpg

DSC_0183.jpg

DSC_0182.jpg

DSC_0180.jpg

DSC_0178.jpg

DSC_0176.jpg

DSC_0165.jpg

DSC_0160.jpg

DSC_0161.jpg

Im kind of dissappointed that these pics didnt come out great. I know it my first effort with a dslr but I was hoping since its a $800 camera they would be better than my cell phone. Just means more practice.

Thanks for checking in.

GG

hey those are some great pictures for your first time with a SLR! Here's a short story for you. as if now i believe i may still have a clown goby. i bought it about 6 months ago and haven't seen it since i bought it, except for once! like 2 months ago i was re-arranging my rocks and he darted out! A fat little sucker! the end. moral of the story: you may still have your clown goby!!

hey those are some great pictures for your first time with a SLR! Here's a short story for you. as if now i believe i may still have a clown goby. i bought it about 6 months ago and haven't seen it since i bought it, except for once! like 2 months ago i was re-arranging my rocks and he darted out! A fat little sucker! the end. moral of the story: you may still have your clown goby!!

Thanks Zoa, Im pretty sure the goby is gone. It was the first fish I bought over a year ago. He was always out and about.

looks good gg for your first try... keep practicing. Your coral look really healthy.

Thanks hype, by this winter I plan on having our own slr camera, then i will get into it a little more.

Great pics for a first run with the camera. Stability is nice - glad things are going well.

thanks latte, hopefully more to come this weekend. I may be adding some stuff on saturday.

That clam looks incredible man.

Those are great photos...don't beat yourself up I can't take pictures of my aquarium to save my life.

Glad things are still rolling along smooth.

That clam looks incredible man.

Those are great photos...don't beat yourself up I can't take pictures of my aquarium to save my life.

Glad things are still rolling along smooth.

Thanks d, I just looked at the pics on my desktop and they look alot better than on my laptop. Ive been lucky with the clam. He was a freebe about 2 months ago and has been going strong.

i have not been on here much lately, work finally kicked in. I need to check out your 75

Archived