Coral Vue Hydros

Behind the scenes - Birch Aquarium.

skeletor

Since there have been some other behind the scenes photo's lately I thought I'd just jump on the bandwagon and post some. so, here are some pics from today.

let's start with a few general behind the tanks shots:

behind1.jpg

behind2.jpg

behind3.jpg

-skeletor-

this is the top of the kelp tank, yes they do lose fish to passing hawks and eagles :) that big thing on the left is the surge device run by a large electric motor it goes up and down to create a surge.

Kelp_tank.jpg

-skeletor-

spare jellies:

jellies.jpg

and some shark eggs. these are mostly collected out of the kelp tank and hatched.

shark_eggs.jpg

and here is one of the baby shark tanks.

shark_tank.jpg

-skeletor-

one more, couldn't resist. Aiptasia and bubble algae prop tank :D

aiptasia.jpg

anyway, that's it. I wanted to get a decent pic of the Lion Nudi's. those things are the most bizzaro looking nudis.. but, alas the camera sucked and I wasn't able to get a good shot.

oh yeah, larger versions and a couple of extra pics can be found here..

enjoy,

-skeletor-

thanks everyone.

I'll take a few more next time I'm there. I spent my time there cleaning skimmers today (7 of them). there is a big ass skimmer on the big SPS tank that stands about 6' tall, driven by 4 sedra needle wheel pumps. even thought these tanks are open loop some of them run skimmers due to the low turnover rates. costs money to heat that water so I guess it's cheaper to clean some of the it and not just waste it all.

wanted to get a few of the outside shark tank (next time). the skimmer on that baby stands easy 10' and is about 2' in diameter.

-skeletor-

those sedra needle wheel pumps kick ass. I am going to guess then that they are using custom Euro Reef or ASM (euro reef clone) skimmers.

I have an ASM on my 100gal that uses a Sedra needle wheel pump and it works very well.

fa246b51.jpg

here is a pic of my skimmer, did it look like this just WAY bigger? that would be pretty sweet to know if these are the same skimmers they use, just on a larger scale.

yah those are wicked skimmers. the wholesaler near my work uses them as well. Its nuts seeing those babies work, all 4 pumps going at the same time. you can hear the foaming really loud when you take the lid off the collection cup. they work very well and don't have a ton of fancy crap that you have to screw around with all day...just move the pipe up or down.

:)

Archived