Cultivated Reef

14 Gallon Long Rimless

Monkfish

I've been away from the hobby for sometime due to personal things and such but now that I have some time on my hands again I've decided to get back into it. I'm planning on building a 14 gallon tank...so far I've just got the glass. If all goes well I'd like to drill for a sump as well as a closed loop I think.

14gLong2-1.jpg

Tank Dimesions:

36"x10"x9"

1/4" Glass

DSCF8411.jpg

DSCF8416.jpg

DSCF8419.jpg

Hopefully this weekend I can get it drilled, polish the edges of the glass and get it siliconed.

Very cool tank dimensions.

If you want to put T5HO over it, PM me.

BibleSue has a 4x39w T5 retro that is brand new with high quality bulbs she is selling, as well as a used 4x39w TEK light with the legs.

BibleSue has a 4x39w T5 retro that is brand new with high quality bulbs she is selling, as well as a used 4x39w TEK light with the legs.

Coolbeans Weets thanks for looking out:)

Welcome back my friend to the show that never ends......................

Nice to see you around again. Cool dimensions on the tank. Got any stocking plans yet?

Whats the length of this fixture Weetie?

Whats the length of this fixture Weetie?

Well the fixture already sold, it shipped out yesterday.

She still has a 36" T5HO retro with 2 ballasts and 4 bulbs and reflectors.

Your tank is so shallow that you might be able to get away with just half of the retro, 2 bulbs and 1 ballast, if she'll sell you half.

If you want it, you'll have to act quickly though, since she's gonna be out of town for about 2 months after tomorrow.

Thats cool I'm up off of Raritan rd near the Dunkin Donuts at the end of Walnut Ave.

Nice.. Im on Lincoln ave near the bank of america

Nice tank. I'm looking forward to your progress with this as I myself am waiting to get my GLA 20g long tank so I can also begin this great adventure.

Any ideas for the layout of rock, filter, and such?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I’m going to get back to building this tank !! I was in the hospital for a week and had to put off gluing the glass and all that jazz. I'll be gluing the tank within the next few days although I’m not sure whether I want to use black silicone or clear.....any suggestions? I've never used black before so if I do I'll have to go buy a new tube….so if anyone knows which silicone I can buy that is local and safe please toss me a link it would be much appreciated.

Welcome back my friend to the show that never ends......................

Nice to see you around again. Cool dimensions on the tank. Got any stocking plans yet?

Thanks man yeah I liked the idea of having a small tank that kind of looks big. Not sure on stocking plans yet but I’ll definitely have a pair of Harleys and some starfish of course.

Well the fixture already sold, it shipped out yesterday.

She still has a 36" T5HO retro with 2 ballasts and 4 bulbs and reflectors.

Your tank is so shallow that you might be able to get away with just half of the retro, 2 bulbs and 1 ballast, if she'll sell you half.

If you want it, you'll have to act quickly though, since she's gonna be out of town for about 2 months after tomorrow.

I’m guessing I’ve already missed out on this?

Great to see you back at it buddy! B)

Looks like the little one is getting big. :happy:

It’s good to be back yeah she’s growing like crazy. I’ve got her hooked on fishing now so we walk over to that little bridge by the GSP off of 136.

Nice.. Im on Lincoln ave near the bank of america

We will have to hook up I’d love to see your tanks.

Nice tank. I'm looking forward to your progress with this as I myself am waiting to get my GLA 20g long tank so I can also begin this great adventure.

Any ideas for the layout of rock, filter, and such?

I was thinking of maybe doing multiple islands like 3 or 4 small ones. As far as the filter goes it will probably be my old 10g sump.

Ill get some pics up this weekend of the “dry layout”.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok had major set backs at home but I've finally got this thing siliconed now I just need to clean up the excessive amount of silicone, drill and paint the back.

4a.jpg

5a.jpg

1a.jpg

2a.jpg

3a.jpg

Looking sexy. How are you going to light it?

Gasoline..

I like the T5's I think I'm gonna stick with them, I think I'll change the bulb lineup though after reading about some of Weeties combos and suggestions in another thread. Sounds like ya can get some real cool coloration depending on the different bulb selections.

• 2 weeks later...
That silicone job looks sweet.

Thanks man I apply it with my index finger. I'm gonna drill and paint the back today I have to buy new diamond holesaw bits because I cant find my old set which sucks arse because they are so expensive. I'm thinking of using 1" bulkheads for the drain and 1/2" for the returns...think I should use a bigger diameter for the drain?? Any advice on this would be great...also can anyone tell me which drain "style" is the most fail proof and somewhat quiet? I used the durso last time and no matter how much I adjusted it, it was some what noisy.

calk2300.jpg

The light Weets mentioned is still sitting at my house waiting for me to get home & list it for sale. You can let Weets know if you are still interested since I am not on so much.

• 1 month later...
Deleted User 6

Hey man - you still waiting to drill this thing? I use a herbie style drain and it's about as silent as it gets. I have a thread somewhere in the DIY section where bitts basically wrote his dissertation on plumbing.

Hey man - you still waiting to drill this thing? I use a herbie style drain and it's about as silent as it gets. I have a thread somewhere in the DIY section where bitts basically wrote his dissertation on plumbing.

Nope thanks though.. I ended up getting new bits. I'm about to start moving stuff into this tank next week. Quick question someone gave me this maroon clown I've heard they can be pretty aggressive? I'd like to have Harlequins in the 14g would this maroon go after them you think or anything else for that matter..corals inverts etc..If hes gonna be a big PITA I'd rather get rid of him although so far hes very cool to watch pretty ballsy little guy comes right up to my hand and eats, he did this the 2nd day after I got him.

3a-1.jpg

2a-1.jpg

1a-1.jpg

Archived