ReefCleaners.org

rO.oster's 29G Biocube Experience ©

rO.oster

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

It's been a long time. I shouldn't have left you. Without a dope beat to step to.

DSCF2138.jpg

FTS October 13, 2011

been really busy lately with getting married, work, and hunting. I've managed to whip the scape into order, battle down a cyano attack, and get things stable again. Frequent filter floss changes are your friend. More later... maybe. Feel free to comment!

clam.jpg

my new desra clam changes from blue to golden brown depending on the viewing angle

topdown.jpg

its already scooted more in the middle, i can see ill need to do some minor arranging to find a uncluttered spot for it

DSCF2110.jpg

the tank is 15 months old.

• 1 month later...
Great looking tank. I can't believe that tank is only 15 months old! I hope mine is half as nice as yours in 15 months.

thanks!

some more pics of the build. I had to use a white light diffuser cut to fit in between the splash shield and the leds to cut the shimmer.

DSCF1856.jpg

DSCF1876.jpg

DSCF1860.jpg

Here is my detailed Parts and Coral list:

Oceanic Biocube 29 with stand

>>Vortech MP10ES wave-maker

Hydor Pico Evolution 1200 fuge pump

Hydor Theo 150w heater

inTank media / fuge basket

Custom 3W LED fuge light

Aquatic Life 115 mini internal nano protein skimmer

>> CUSTOM 30 3w CREE XP-G (warm white, royal blue, cool blue) custom Nanotuners heatsink/DIMMABLE led's with moonlights, 2x60mm and 2x80mm Vantech dual ball bearing fans

3 BRINKS mechanical timers for all light phases, cord outlets, GFI plug adaptor

API saltwater master test kit, API Reefmaster Test Kit

freezdried brine, mysis, formula 1 & 2 flakes, large containers, lugols iodide solution, FROZEN: mysis formula 1, sardine, RODS, Cyclopeeze

about 12lbs of Instant Ocean salt mix

Lifeguard BIG digital thermometer/alarm

Coralife Deep Six hydrometer

30lbs Caribsea Seaflor Special Grade [1-2mm]

25lbs BRS Fiji Dry Aquarium Eco Rock

OCEAN WAVE FIVE STAGE 75 GPD RO/DI, 1 bag of DI refill

Various buckets, fragging tools/items, and other loose equipments

Coral:

1st CUC Various Cerith, FL cerith, dwarf Cerith, nassarius, blue leg hermits , Nerites

Ocellaris Clown Pair, Yellow Watchmen Goby, Randalls Shrimp, Multiple Zoas, Frogspawn, Multiple Ricordias

Neon Green Star Polyp, Neon Green Toadstool, Kenya Tree

Toxic Green Trumpet, Brown Monti cap, Green mushrooms

Hawwaiin Featherduster, Carribean FeatherDuster,

Rock anenome, LARGE Yellow gorgonian, Pom Pom Crab, Red MontiCap, Green/Purple Monicap

Sun Coral, Duncan, Maxi-Mini Anenomie, Devils Hand, Wellso Brain

Basic Trumpet, Desra Clam, anenome crab

Sunrise Watermelon Millipora, Blue Ice millipora, 2 blue purple Acroporia,

green favia, pink catspaw

2nd CUC, more FL ceriths, nerite, nassarius, astrai snails

• 2 weeks later...

Livestock sold. Quite an adventure I must say, it makes me very sad to come home to a dark tank. I look forward to the next build! thank you for looking at my thread, any comments are welcome.

well you just opened up a whole can. i am still on the fence deciding whether its Hair algae or Bryopsis, and i don't think my LFS has any turbo snails :o

i can say, that the pieces sticking out of the single middle continuous stalk look more like the soft hairs on a tomato plant, sticking out in all directions; and less like a feather, fan blade style

looks great!

Livestock sold. Quite an adventure I must say, it makes me very sad to come home to a dark tank. I look forward to the next build! thank you for looking at my thread, any comments are welcome.

May I ask why you decided to break it down? You had a great little tank going.

May I ask why you decided to break it down? You had a great little tank going.

Thanks, I have an upcoming job assignment overseas, so rather than risk trusting a friend for 15 months, better I just start fresh down the road if and when it comes time.

• 2 months later...

oh yes I still have the reef bug..... missing my tank dearly!!!!! reading about the LED lighting, thinking of incorporating violet, red, green, and CW into the mix.

I am really glad I kept all my equipment, it will all be there ready for me when I return!

• 10 months later...

Looking to start one of my own...did the water changes alone keep the parameters in check or did you have to dose and screw around with additives?

Water changes alone were sufficient to keep everything in check. I used Chemipure Elite, Purigen, and filter floss in the media rack, the fuge rack grew chaeto, and an Aquaticlife 115 skimmer in chamber 1.

I had mostly Softies and LPS, so I didnt need to dose 2 part.

Is it mandatory to have a skimmer on the nano tanks under 30 gallons or can you get by without one with all the other stuff you used?

IMO its not mandatory at all. the best way to remove nutrients from your tank is via water change. I did a 4 gallon water change every week, and since the BC29 is actually (deceptively) not 29 gallons, but rather 23 gallons minus displacement caused by your rockwork, thats almost a 20% water change per week! the tank really thrived with that regiment.

For additional nutrient export, I had a fuge going in chamber 2, very effectivly growing a large wad of chaeto. I also had a media rack with filter floss, purigen, and chemipure elite. i would change the media every 2 months, and change the floss pad ever week with my water change, or as needed.

the last addition was the skimmer. i did so due to a persisting cyano bacteria issue. the benefits of a skimmer are debatable. Although they remove organics and nutrients from your water column, they do so quite effectivly, also removing microfuana larve and other organisms that help to keep your corals/fish/organisms fed. in the fututre, i will run the skimmer as a back-up tool, when i am having nutrient or algae issues that i cannot solve using conventional prevention methods. skimmers also help by keeping the water oxygenated, which is vital for tank growth and health. the needle impeller wheel is basically a huge egg beater whipping and frothing up the water.

i would change the media every 2 months, and change the floss pad ever week with my water change, or as needed.

That's another question I had before starting up was how often do ppl change the filter media. Two months average if you don't overstock the tank?

i would change the media every 2 months, and change the floss pad ever week with my water change, or as needed. That's another question I had before starting up was how often do ppl change the filter media. Two months average if you don't overstock the tank?

sounds about right. I've seen people do it every 1-2months, depending on their bioload. I had only 2 clowns, a sixline wrasse, and 2 goby/shrimp combos. I considered that pretty well stocked.

Anything that eats and poops produces a bio load. So the main producers are fish. Coral eat too, but unless its a LPS coral such as a Frogspawn coral, which you may feed a chunk of silver side fish once a week, its not really adding to the grand scheme of things. (Its crazy to watch a coral poop)

Keep in mind corals produce slime, excrete chemicals if threatened, and require higher than average water conditions to thrive and grow.

Also, as live rock and sand continue to sit, and break down naturally, or collect some of the debris that doesn't make it to your filter, it too will produce some nominal levels of bad nutrients.

So its the food you feed fish, fish poop, food you feed coral, coral poop, and the overall life cycles of the tanks bio system. Not an easy thing to judge!! This is why its better to be over prepared, than to be caught under prepared.

Ben Franklin once said: An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Archived