Innovative Marine Aquariums

White, Feathery like things hanging all over aquarium glass?

Guest excitedforfish

Guest excitedforfish

I came home last night and saw hundreds upon hundreds of white little feathery/stringy things attached all over the aquarium glass last night in my 14 g biocube which is currently cycling right now.

Didnt get to take pictures and just wiped them away with a magnet cleaner. They looked like little anenomes but I could be wrong

I think they were hydra but have no idea really. What do you guys thing they could have been? They wiped off easily and were literally all over the glass.

Guest excitedforfish

Ok I just inspected closer and these things are now almost greenish colored (towards the bottom of the tank) and look like grassy algae! They are still small but are you guys sure they are still pods?

Doesn't sound like pods to me. I've never seen or heard of greenish pods, and the OP didn't say they are moving around. Plus you don't usually see pods all over the glass like that 1) when the lights are on and 2) while you're cycling your tank. Finally, those pics don't look anything like pods I've ever seen.

I would guess hydroids (do a google image search and see if that's what they look like), or possibly some kind of algae.

Yeah looks like algae in those new pics. I wouldn't worry about it at this point.

Guest excitedforfish
Doesn't sound like pods to me. I've never seen or heard of greenish pods, and the OP didn't say they are moving around. Plus you don't usually see pods all over the glass like that 1) when the lights are on and 2) while you're cycling your tank. Finally, those pics don't look anything like pods I've ever seen.

I would guess hydroids (do a google image search and see if that's what they look like), or possibly some kind of algae.

Yeah looks like algae in those new pics. I wouldn't worry about it at this point.

Should I wipe them off? Maybe they are pods that are covered in algae?

Second picture looks more like an algae I have. My tank is cycling too. They are a little feathery right? Or maybe you can't tell yet.

Dwankmuller

You can whipe them off...usually when I get algae on the glass I just scrape it off before a water change, and try to suck up anything floating around with my water change tube thing.

Guest excitedforfish
Second picture looks more like an algae I have. My tank is cycling too. They are a little feathery right? Or maybe you can't tell yet.

yes they are feathery!

You can whipe them off...usually when I get algae on the glass I just scrape it off before a water change, and try to suck up anything floating around with my water change tube thing.

Ok, I will wipe them off. I thought they were pods and everyone told me not to wipe them off. Since they are getting gross now, it is time for them to go lol :)

bryopsis? Oh man, what does it do to a tank?

Won't hurt the tank but is a real pain to get rid of. Good luck with your cycle

It's not bryopsis. Or atleast the ones I have aren't. The feathering isn't as tight as bryopsis and they also get longer.

Bonsai1963

Try this very helpful Nano Reef nuisance forum /algae guide with identification pics, click link>>>

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...36&hl=algae

There's more to new tank syndrome than just the cycle. You'll be fine, just catch a wave and ride it out.

Do water changes, and watch those spots. If they move around like bugs, safe to say pods.

Magnifying glass or removable camera lens helps some and is fun too when you have lots of funny bugs and

worms on the glass.

I take it this happened rather abruptly. Doubt it be pods.

Tried snails yet?

OH SNAP!!!! Kick his ass seabass

What?!? is that? It was a simple question. If he is the boyfriend or husband well kudos to him!

"Z"

Archived