Pod Your Reef

Seabass's 17.4 Gallon (taken down)

seabass

great looking shrimp, how big is he? 2"?

He must feel a bit anxious without some rock to hide behind though...

At first i though that your tank should have really dense and lush seagrass growth in order to look perfect and natural, but now I just realized that I seemed to have a misunderstanding about what natural seagrass beds actually look like. they look like your tank; the really dense, and packed seagrass beds are the result of too much fertilizer runoff from rivers :(

Glad your tank does indeed look natural :D

Exactly. And, with conditions that enhance growth, it is all the more important to keep it trimmed back for the sake of the grass and infauna. That's why I've emphasized it like crazy in my system, because it just causes problems, eventually.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
This tank has progressed beautifully how bout some updates seabass this tank is too G to let it slip through the cracks B)

+10 -_-

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

what a great progress that you made.

I really like this tank setup. great job.

I probably will setup something similar to your in a couple of weeks

Wow, I'm embarrassed, guess I kind of abandoned this thread.

where do you buy seagrass at?
I got this grass at ReefCleaners. It's not always in stock, but keep checking.

This tank has progressed beautifully how bout some updates seabass this tank is too G to let it slip through the cracks B)
:mellow: Well...I wish I had pics of a thriving seagrass bed; but I'll be moving the tank in a month or so, and I believe the sand bed was starting to crash. My thought is that decaying roots (dead organic matter) was the cause. I've temporarily moved the shoal grass, along with the rest of the livestock.

+10 -_-
I'll post the pictures tonight.

This is one of my favourites set ups too. An update is much need and appreciated :)
Thank you!

An update would be nice....... :wub:
It sure would. ;)

Agreed! How's the aquarium doing these days Seabass?
Hey Chris! :) Updates are on the way. I'm keeping the shoal grass alive in a 10 gallon tank. I'll post a picture of this setup tomorrow.

Holy sandbed.
:lol:

I was very fond of it, but I don't think it could process all of the decaying organic matter. I'm not sure what the right approach is. I really think I didn't have the diversity needed for long term success.

Cool, where did you get shoal grass and oar grass. I can't find them anywhere.
Our buddy John at ReefCleaners. I bought the oar grass (which came with one strand of shoal grass as a hitchhiker).

what a great progress that you made.

I really like this tank setup. great job.

I probably will setup something similar to your in a couple of weeks

Thanks! After the move, I'll be starting phase two. Good luck with your project. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

:( Here it is:

042412a.jpg

I pulled out the remaining grass:

042412b.jpg

042412c.jpg

042412d.jpg

Removing the sand:

042412e.jpg

5 gallon bucket full of muck. icon8.gif

042412f.jpg

Here's what the stand looked like. I'll be cleaning this up a bit before the move.

042412g.jpg

OK, there is some good news too. :) Look what happened to my anemones that I have in my holding tank.

042412h.jpg

What originally looked like flatworms became these cool baby Rock Flower Anemones.

042412i.jpg

042412j.jpg

andrewguilfoy

I just have to comment on your hole drilling lol. Those holes are exceptionally clean. Bravo man. Ever thought of a bigger foot print for the seagrass? like 40B or even 90g?

OK, there is some good news too. :) Look what happened to my anemones that I have in my holding tank.

042412h.jpg

What originally looked like flatworms became these cool baby Rock Flower Anemones.

042412i.jpg

042412j.jpg

That's awesome man. Those RFA babies look great! Mine spawned a while ago too and there are a few babies all over my tank.

Amphiprion1
:mellow: Well...I wish I had pics of a thriving seagrass bed; but I'll be moving the tank in a month or so, and I believe the sand bed was starting to crash. My thought is that decaying roots (dead organic matter) was the cause. I've temporarily moved the shoal grass, along with the rest of the livestock.

I was very fond of it, but I don't think it could process all of the decaying organic matter. I'm not sure what the right approach is. I really think I didn't have the diversity needed for long term success.

Funny you mention all of this, since I am beginning to think the same thing. I've tried twice to keep a fast growing, thriving bed of seagrass. The current setup is growing grasses well, but cyanobacteria took it over like crude oil. I'm in the midst of trying a few things to hopefully make that better, but it may just be that these small tanks simply aren't capable of maintaining a thriving deep bed for terribly long, especially with the enriching effects that the seagrasses themselves cause. I've got tons of animals in my sandbed and lots of activity throughout and I'm beginning to think that it still isn't enough in the long run. I don't want to reach that conclusion just yet, but it is starting to appear that way. I could always take the reef-style approach and starve the grasses, but then the growth won't really be there. It is a bit aggravating, really.

I just have to comment on your hole drilling lol. Those holes are exceptionally clean. Bravo man. Ever thought of a bigger foot print for the seagrass? like 40B or even 90g?
Thank you! It seemed like it took a long time to drill (let the drill apply the pressure).

I'd like to have a 40B seagrass bed. That sounds like a goal. :)

That's awesome man. Those RFA babies look great! Mine spawned a while ago too and there are a few babies all over my tank.
Congratulations on your babies too!

Funny you mention all of this, since I am beginning to think the same thing... It is a bit aggravating, really.
Aw, I wish you the best of luck! I sure hope we can figure out a more foolproof method to keep these grasses. I really like the look and idea of having them around.

042512a.jpg

My makeshift 10 gallon tank I setup to keep the grass alive.

042512b.jpg

I had the grass free-floating for a week or two before I decided the roots really should be buried in substrate.

I reused the sand, after rinsing a couple of times. The DSB developed a couple of black areas, which quickly went away. This tank isn't currently receiving any food or CO2.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

:)

I forgot about the baby nem pics. I lost all but one (likely to getting caught in filters). This tank will be brought back as a Caribbean nano.

I feel that my DSB was starting to cause problems due to decaying roots. This probably wouldn't have been a problem for a typical reef tank because it wouldn't have so much decaying organic matter in it.

I feel that my DSB was starting to cause problems due to decaying roots. This probably wouldn't have been a problem for a typical reef tank because it wouldn't have so much decaying organic matter in it.

I debating a DSB or another design

Archived