Pod Your Reef

new-b-reefers LED picotope (pic heavy!)

new-b-reefer

I love it!

On the last pic above my post, I feel as if the extra PVC is unnecessary. Why don't you cut it in half, and hang the fixture flush with the PVC bar it is currently hanging on.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

remove that bubble algae immediately. the younger ans smaller it is the better. if you ignore it, you are committing pico suicide lol.

thanks for the compliment and the tip, i will rid the bubble algae, too bad it is a nuisance algae cause i kinda think its interesting lol. as for the pvc fixture, i am going to cut it down, im just trying different heights with the light and seeing how high i want to have it suspended. i am planning on cutting it down though lol.

there is a much more interesting bubble algae species out there, that you may get one day. that one you might want to keep around if youre fascinated with bubble algae.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=red+bubble+...x=121&ty=51

I have a good amount of it in my 10 gallon nano. the funky thing about it is that when its small, it sometimes turns a neon orange color- really noticeable on live rock. then as it grows it turns red, then pearl white-purple-red like you see in the photo. it has nice dots on it too and can have some blue portions as well.

so until you get that species, just kill all regular green bubble algae that you see lol.

there is a much more interesting bubble algae species out there, that you may get one day. that one you might want to keep around if youre fascinated with bubble algae.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=red+bubble+...x=121&ty=51

I have a good amount of it in my 10 gallon nano. the funky thing about it is that when its small, it sometimes turns a neon orange color- really noticeable on live rock. then as it grows it turns red, then pearl white-purple-red like you see in the photo. it has nice dots on it too and can have some blue portions as well.

so until you get that species, just kill all regular green bubble algae that you see lol.

ok got it, thanks for the tip, the bubble algae murder will take place tomorrow lol.

adn for my pvc stand, im thinking i will find a height i like and then, ditch the suspension kit and fix the led heatsink directly to the pvc. what are your thoughts? and i seem to like the fixture about 8 or 9 inches above the surface. is this too high up? the leds are so powerful though, it probably doesnt matter lol.

Here is the new pvc rig. Cut down a bit and sinched up the suspension hardware as much as I could. I think its looking better :)

Thoughts?

IMAG1038.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Birdnest sps growth under aquastyles led in only 2.5 weeks :)

First day in the tank

birdsnestspscoral.jpg

IMAG0978.jpg

New branches starting :)

IMAG1081.jpg

IMAG1082.jpg

IMAG1086.jpg

IMAG1087.jpg

Sorry if the pics seem washed out. Pics taken with my phone. The leds are so bright, the phone has trouble focussing with the brightness I think lol

it looks weird w/o the mushrooms being extended...do they do that anymore?

No not really, they don't have to stretch for light anymore. Now there is enough light for them wether they are out in the open or under the rock lol. Took me a bit to get used to but the picture don't do it justice. In person they are so much more colored and healthy looking. And since they don't extend, they don't touch any other corals. They still spread like wild fire though :)

they look like they have slightly too much light.

Naw I don't think so. They aren't bleaching at all. Very well colored. They shrink down at night regularly as they did and open up or extend when the lights come on. They don't stretch away from the rock. They just open and kind of form to the rocks it seems but they are doing well and still spreading :)

• 2 weeks later...

yeaaa buddy those led's grow sps :) Cant waaaaaait to finish this setup - I'm so nervous on my own... Life support system is almost done..

My new kit has shipped for my sump so cant wait to set that up as well

• 3 weeks later...

Love your tank new-b! And I wanted to ask you how you like your LED's. I have been planning on the 6x3 from rapid for my new pico setup, but I just discovered aquastyle's through your thread. At less than half the price, I may just change my mind! Growth is obviously great, is there anything you would change from the original package? Perhaps more blue or a different driver? Congrats again on a great looking tank!

Love your tank new-b! And I wanted to ask you how you like your LED's. I have been planning on the 6x3 from rapid for my new pico setup, but I just discovered aquastyle's through your thread. At less than half the price, I may just change my mind! Growth is obviously great, is there anything you would change from the original package? Perhaps more blue or a different driver? Congrats again on a great looking tank!

Hey, thanks for the interest and the compliments :)

I love these leds. Extremely pleased with the kit and its performance. I wouldn't change a thing personally. If you want more blues or have special requests, let ray know (he is the aquastyles guys) he threw in an extra white and an extra blue led in my kit. I think he usually includes extras. Trogdor447 sent me to ray originally and I know he has ordered a lot from aquastyles and has been able to make special requests also. I would say 100 percent go for it. Great kit. The only thing I didn't care for in the kit honestly were the little wire nut/clip things but that is a simple 2 dollar purchase at a hardware store if you don't have some lying around :)

Hope this helps and hope to see some pics of your leds ;)

Oh and when you order, in the comments or whatever, let them know you are with nano-reef.com

Ray loves the forums and gets a ton of business from us :) he will hook it up ;)

• 2 weeks later...

woot

scored a 6gallon nanocube stand for $20 at the old lfs i used to go to. it was a old display one. he is selling all innovative marine stuff now and wanted to get rid of it. scored on this one :) right place at the right time :)

the picotope is a perfect size for it too :) makes it look more finished having its own stand and makes it look like a larger system :)

IMAG1255.jpg

IMAG1254.jpg

i want one too lol

lol, i know right? gotta check the lfs's

i lucked out with this one. its in really great shape. the display 6 gallon that was on it wasnt even being used. they just built the stand and set the 6 gallon nanocube on it and left it as was just to show the tank and the stand. the only thing is the chrome posts are a bit dirty but i can clean those :) the stand is in brand new condition, just needed some dusting. i was too excited and couldnt beat the price :)

• 3 weeks later...

loving that growth man! cant wait to get my GHA gone completely /shakes fist at it so i can place a frag where i want it and i can truly monitor its growth

Archived