Cultivated Reef

Yoshii's 3 Gallon Pico Reef

yoshii

I'm a music professor and I'm a reefer. It is cool. You have something to talk about other than school. Many of my musician friends will ask about my tanks when they get tired of the music jabber and gossip that everybody else is discussing at gatherings and meetings.

How small is she. The closeup throws off scale a bit for me.

L

Haha yeah, we're discussing yumas on the philosophy facebook page :lol:

I need to post a FTS then you can see how small she is in a 3 gallon

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha yeah, we're discussing yumas on the philosophy facebook page :lol:

I need to post a FTS then you can see how small she is in a 3 gallon

Yes, that'll help with scale. How cute! Sometimes, my LFS gets these tiny baby damsels in. They are very cute.

L

Ooh, what species? I love tiny fish!

One time they got a itty bitty beau gregory in. Tiny! Very pretty when babies, ugly when adults, in both personality and looks. It was about 1/2 an inch long. It doesn't stay that small obviously.

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...

*Emerges from shadows*

This tank's 4th birthday is coming up next week! Today I got an early birthday present for the tank, the same species of the original inhabitant 4 years ago, a cute little Yellowtail Damsel :)

I just did a water change so all the corals are closed up, maybe pics tomorrow or Monday
But don't expect a FTS, this tank doesn't look so great with a tough bryopsis-like algae on the rocks

*Sinks back into the shadows* :ninja:

Thank you Newman!
I'm hoping I can bring this little tank with me when I change school

Here's a pic of the new guy, sorry I got home later than expected and don't have time to clean the acrylic today

IMG_9965.jpg

Also, I found these pics on my computer but I don't think I ever posted them? These are a few of the corals when they were new to the tank

IMG_0775.jpg

IMG_0773.jpg

IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0795.jpg

Happy 4th of July everyone!

That means this tank also turns 4 years old today! omgomgomg

I plan to have this tank up for at least 1 more year, but hopefully longer if I can bring it when I move

Happy 4th of July everyone!

That means this tank also turns 4 years old today! omgomgomg

I plan to have this tank up for at least 1 more year, but hopefully longer if I can bring it when I move

Where are you moving? Short move or a long one? Move to Florida it's warm there and there's oranges.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

*slowly comes out from hiding* :ninja:

This tank is still alive, I promise lol
Did a 100% water change today, and this tank needed it dearly. I've been super busy with school, so all of my tanks just kinda sat there, occasionally I added new fish to my larger tank, but they all got neglected

I'm moving in the beginning of summer and will only be able to keep this tank probably (If it's allowed). I'm only moving to a university 2 hours away, but I won't have room for large tanks. Until then I want to try to at least add some more coral to this tank, get it decent-looking and keep up on water changes for a last hurrah if I have to take this tank down too

Lights are off right now, but I'll try to snap a quick FTS tomorrow. Don't get excited, today I actually took out quite a bit of coral that wasn't looking so hot. Plus I kinda want to start over coral-wise

Since I'm not a member anymore, I needed to clear out 500 old messages from my inbox :eek:

I really want to remember the context of these threads:
Screenshot_1.jpg
We were really weird!

Alkomist! I didn't know you were still on here! Good to see you again :)
Haha yes it's still in my sig!

I just snapped some FTS pics, gosh I forget how awful it is to try to photograph this tank. Anybody have tips for photos with LED lighting? Everything is purple :( Custom white balance isn't helping at all
Anyways I'll post a FTS in a few min

Brace yourself for UGLY

I'm warning you

IMG_7632.jpg

IMG_7630.jpg

IMG_7627.jpg

This little dude is still chilling in here, pretty much looks the same except now he can eat regular size pellets (instead of the powder food)

As soon as the portion of GSP on the front gets a little thicker, I'm going to peel it off. Right now it's really thin and I feel like it's just going to tear into pieces if I try to get it off now

And yep, pretty much only 4-5 corals in here now. I might move some nice Blastos from my 55 into here, and then I'll stop by my LFS for some new stuff in a few days

Oh yeah, you probably noticed the aiptasia everywhere, I need to grab a pep for that

Also, the reason my rock is "hairy" is 1)hydroids that came back :( and 2) Annoying turf-like algae

Ha. I just logged into nano-reef for the first time in about two years and noticed you're back. Graduating, getting a real job, and moving around the bay area has been even harder on my tank. All the macros you gave me are gone, save for the caulerpa... Nothing can outgrow the caulerpa. I found out my tank can go six months without a filter, skimmer, or water change, so there's that.

Good luck! I can think of a handful of good places to go school about two hours away.

Ha. I just logged into nano-reef for the first time in about two years and noticed you're back. Graduating, getting a real job, and moving around the bay area has been even harder on my tank. All the macros you gave me are gone, save for the caulerpa... Nothing can outgrow the caulerpa. I found out my tank can go six months without a filter, skimmer, or water change, so there's that.

Good luck! I can think of a handful of good places to go school about two hours away.

Haha hiya Billy! I was just looked at your macro tank thread a few days ago

Congrats on graduating and the job! Macros are pretty forgiving, I find that the worst thing that happens when I neglect my tank is that this one really fast growing species of caulerpa overgrows and kills off (by shade) my slower-growing macros

If you want some more macros, I pretty much always have some to give away!

UC Davis :)

Today I picked up quite a few random little coral pieces for this tank, currently they are floating in the bags. I also got a small little green bubble nem, just for giggles. If it doesn't like the tank I'll move it out. I also got a peppermint shrimp to eat the monster aipstaia growing in here

Archived