Top Shelf Aquatics

Yoshii's 3 Gallon Pico Reef

yoshii

Tank set up July 4 2010

Current FTS July 4 2015

IMG_6656resizedBDAY.jpg

---
Hello everyone! :D
I'm starting up my first pico from a 3gal acrylic aquarium!

Here's the tank info:
○ 3 Gallon Eclipse
○ ~6lbs Live Rock
○ Oolite sand
~DIY Fuge/Filter
AquaClear 20
Catalina Aquarium "Nano Hood" 2x 13watt PCs Upgraded to PAR30-BoostLED

Fish:
○ 1x Yellowtail Damselfish Solomon Islands Percula Clownfish (somewhat temporary resident)

CUC/Inverts:
○ 1x White Nassarius Snail
○ 2x Dwarf Ceriths

Corals:

SPS
○ Orange Monti cebuensis

LPS

○ Red/White Acan lord

○ Yellow-tip Torch

○ Frogspawn

○ Kryptonite Candy Cane

○ 3D Chalice (I forgot the name)

○ Green Duncan

○ Red Goniopora

○ Blastomussa

Zoas/Palys

○ Irish Girl Zoas

○ Pink Rainbow Palys (idk name)

○ Other orange zoas

○ Radioactive Dragon Eye

○ Red Hornets

○ Pink Mokawks

○ Honestly I don't keep track of all the zoa names

Other Softies

○ Toadstool Leather

○ Sympodium

○ Cespitularia

○ Orange Ricordia

○ Green Ricordia

○ Neon Green Star Polyps

○ Green Finger Leather

Thanks,
Christina :happy:

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sound like a good plan. For lights the 12" coralife fixture is o.k. I think there is one that is like 36w if I can remember. But the best lights for a pico would be Evil's par 38 LED lamp. Cuc doesn't really doesn't matter. I would skip on the cleaner shrimp unless you really want it. Peppermints do more and they are less expensive. But you have to realize pico's are hard to keep stable. You can't let it sit. Keep up on water changes and don't over feed, and you should be good.

Sound like a good plan. For lights the 12" coralife fixture is o.k. I think there is one that is like 36w if I can remember. But the best lights for a pico would be Evil's par 38 LED lamp. Cuc doesn't really doesn't matter. I would skip on the cleaner shrimp unless you really want it. Peppermints do more and they are less expensive. But you have to realize pico's are hard to keep stable. You can't let it sit. Keep up on water changes and don't over feed, and you should be good.

Thanks for the lighting suggestions, I'll check em out :)

I have 2 cleaners in my 55gal, but all they do is hide in the back, so I thought maybe if I put one in a smaller tank, I would see him more. But yeah, Idk if I really want to put him in there, more bio load :/

Yes, that's why instead of moding an AC, I'm going to make the DIY fuge with a food container, I'm going to get a huge one so that should add some water volume (not much though.I know) It's my first pico so I'm just going to see how it goes, take it slow, and get a good schedule of water changes set up. Even though I'm only with the tank every other week, I will usually come over 1-2 times a week to take care of it. (I do this when I'm at my mom's house and my tanks are at my dad's house) Also, on water changes, I plan to do one right before I leave, one when I come over probably in the middle of the week, then one right after I come back. So that's 3 water changes in about a week, so I'm hoping that will be enough to keep this tank stable. Also, just in case, I'm only going with more hardier corals/fish. :) I'm going to try my best to keep this tank stable, and if I can't, then I'll take it down

omgomgomg

the plan sounds great! :D

your sister is hot (profile pic) . please introduce us. thanks!

hahaha, she's my best friend, not my sister lol

She is very pretty though

Thanks Jacob! :D

Not true.....well yea...Yakima is pretty much the worst town in WA. It is only good in the fact that it is easy access to the outdoors :D

a couple of days and you already have more tanks than i have :happy:

Hehehe! :P Well, mine aren't set up yet, yours are(and looking amazing btw!)

from what you listed I can see that you should eaither go with only the damsel, or a tiny goby and a pep shrimp. cleaner shrimpis apparently too much I am told =S. I would personally want a cleaner shrimp and ive seen them in 3 gals, but idk...I have a pep shrimp in my 3 gal and i dont think im changing lol.

For CUC do 1 astrea if you absolutely must, you can skip it as it does make a lot of waste...I have 1 in mine, I regret it lol.

do 0 nassarius. for a small pico that wont be heavily fed, you dont need them. I had a huge super tongan i mine for a few months, and that died possibly of starvation cuz i may not have fed enough...

Look up dwarf ceriths, those are really cool haha. I got 2 originally and they bred so now I have 30+ of them lol. I'd ship you like 10 or more if you didnt live so far lol.

Hermit? idk if you want one, I keep one blue leg in my tank he's doing fine.

Mythrax crab is another thing to consider...though many advise against it if you can feed him enough he may go after your coral.

You coral stocking list looks good :)

from what you listed I can see that you should eaither go with only the damsel, or a tiny goby and a pep shrimp. cleaner shrimpis apparently too much I am told =S. I would personally want a cleaner shrimp and ive seen them in 3 gals, but idk...I have a pep shrimp in my 3 gal and i dont think im changing lol.

For CUC do 1 astrea if you absolutely must, you can skip it as it does make a lot of waste...I have 1 in mine, I regret it lol.

do 0 nassarius. for a small pico that wont be heavily fed, you dont need them. I had a huge super tongan i mine for a few months, and that died possibly of starvation cuz i may not have fed enough...

Look up dwarf ceriths, those are really cool haha. I got 2 originally and they bred so now I have 30+ of them lol. I'd ship you like 10 or more if you didnt live so far lol.

Hermit? idk if you want one, I keep one blue leg in my tank he's doing fine.

Mythrax crab is another thing to consider...though many advise against it if you can feed him enough he may go after your coral.

You coral stocking list looks good :)

Yeah, I was thinking a tiny goby like a clown goby or neon goby, but I already have a yellow clown goby, and I've never seen my LFS stock neons. I suppose I could ask them to special order, but I'd only be getting one, I don't want to bother them with that kind of stuff for only 1 little fish(that could be DOA)

Ok, thanks :) I won't put any astrea in unless I get an algae problem.

I thought all ceriths needed pretty mature tanks(with lots of food)?

I have hermits in my 55gal, I don't want them in any of my other tanks :angry: they killed my snails and knock over stuff alot.

I don't think the Mythrax would have enough food :(

Thanks, I'm going for easy ones in this tank :D

well you put your CUC in your pico after it cycles, and by that time youre likely going to have lots of diatoms for ceriths to eat. dwarf ceriths are FTW.

I'm going to try a mythrax in my 3 gal and I'll tell you how that works out. I have a lot of algae stuff that he can feed on, but once he runs out then I could probably feed him every other day with a bit of green dried seaweed.

cant wait to see some pics of the new tank tomorrow :D

I'll be following this project of yours too.

Jesus. :huh: You're averaging 60 posts a day.

Haha that would be awesome, but it's kinda off cause I only joined a few days ago :D

well you put your CUC in your pico after it cycles, and by that time youre likely going to have lots of diatoms for ceriths to eat. dwarf ceriths are FTW.

I'm going to try a mythrax in my 3 gal and I'll tell you how that works out. I have a lot of algae stuff that he can feed on, but once he runs out then I could probably feed him every other day with a bit of green dried seaweed.

cant wait to see some pics of the new tank tomorrow :D

I'll be following this project of yours too.

Well, I'll probably either have a tiny/short cycle or no cycle at all because I'll be using LR from my established 55gal tank.

Hmm I'm looking at reefcleaners (they have some pretty niiice macros!) I see they have the dwarf ceriths, but how many should I get?

ReefCleaners is awesome. John is awesome. You can fill out a form thing, you say your tank size and what not, then he will send you a recommendation of what and how many to stock :)

Archived