Pod Your Reef

PNW Temperate Tanks Using Marineland Commercial Systems

AquaticEngineer

AquaticEngineer
Will you need to use a lot of rock to overcome the buoyancy of the foam so that the whole thing doesn't float, or is there some other way to anchor it?

Going to rough up the back of the acrylic tank a bit with sand paper to get better adhesion :o clean the surface of any debri, then spray the foam directly onto the back of the tank.

If you've ever got this stuff onto anything else plastic and let it harden, you know its damn near impossible to get off.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pretty stoked that while re-organizing my tank I found a long lost clump of Yellow Zoanthids (Epizoathus Sciotus) that I got from Jamie.

These are them in the middle of his tank. http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2011/1/cor...g/image_preview

They are starting to spread and open up now that they are secured and being fed regularly :D

Isn't it nice when you find something you didn't expect? :)

AquaticEngineer
Isn't it nice when you find something you didn't expect? :)

Heck Yeah :D

On yesterdays collecting trip we caught a 2" flatfish. Its either a Sand Dab, Sole, or Flounder. Pretty cool.

Also caught several yellow Clingfish, some shrimp that are half green and half red, some Kelp Greenling, some new varieties of sculpins, as well as some really nicely colored tidal sculpins.

Heck Yeah :D

On yesterdays collecting trip we caught a 2" flatfish. Its either a Sand Dab, Sole, or Flounder. Pretty cool.

Also caught several yellow Clingfish, some shrimp that are half green and half red, some Kelp Greenling, some new varieties of sculpins, as well as some really nicely colored tidal sculpins.

Pix... You boast such wonderful finds... We require proof. :P

I'm kidding.

Liz

AquaticEngineer
Pix... You boast such wonderful finds... We require proof. :P

I'm kidding.

Liz

For sure, gonna snap some pics tonight when my buddy comes over to get his livestock.

• 2 weeks later...
AquaticEngineer

I know, I know, no pics.

What can I say, I've been too busy looking at the awesome fist sized black hard tube worm colonies I collected today....... ;)

Now you all probably want pics of those too dont you :lol:

colonial_tube_worms_1c.jpg

I know, I know, no pics.

What can I say, I've been too busy looking at the awesome fist sized black hard tube worm colonies I collected today....... ;)

Now you all probably want pics of those too dont you :lol:

colonial_tube_worms_1c.jpg

Well, Duh!

Geez, those look super cool. But you still need to post pix of the other things. You, sir, are behind. Stop inspecting your tubeworms. That just has a nasty sound to it, doesn't it. :lol:

AquaticEngineer

Pics of some of the livestock that was out and ready to be photographed today :D

Grunt Sculpin looking like a barnacle, couple corynactis.

IMG_20110723_200341.jpg

Orange Plumose

IMG_20110723_200408.jpg

Striped sunflower star

IMG_20110723_200424.jpg

Larger of my Snailfish, of course its the ugly brown one not the cool yellow one that comes out.

IMG_20110723_195710.jpg

Northern Kelp Crab

IMG_20110723_195722.jpg

Fringed Tube Worm Colonie - Dodecaceria fewkesi

IMG_20110723_195736.jpg

I'm in the process of converting my tank over to a local cold water. Hopefully I can meet you guys next time you collect so I can learn and maybe get a few things. Once I get further along I need to come over and do some chatting with you.

Do you still post on the local forum much or is it easier to get in touch over here?

AquaticEngineer
I'm in the process of converting my tank over to a local cold water. Hopefully I can meet you guys next time you collect so I can learn and maybe get a few things. Once I get further along I need to come over and do some chatting with you.

Do you still post on the local forum much or is it easier to get in touch over here?

I check out www.pnwmas.org, www.temperatereef.forumotion.com, www.azoox.org, and here pretty much every day.

So a PM on any of them would get to me about the same time.

Hit me up and I'll give u my cell so we can plan a coldwater pub night some time :D I know Taylor and Josh would be down for sure.

AquaticEngineer
zomg grunt sculpin! :wub: Awesome corynactis, too!

I'll try and get a closeup of the War Bonnet next time ;)

animalmaster6
sweeeeet. Just raid Woods Hole, I'm sure they have some stuff.

I almost went there today but it was rainy and stormy. LOVE it there. I know where to find gunnels and I actually just found some sculpins snorkeling yesterday. I know where to get the stuff :happy:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
AquaticEngineer
Very nice! How do you keep nitrates low? Is any of that rock live rock?

All of the visible rock is native rock, but there is 60lbs of tropical base rock that was dried out and placed into the lower false bottom in this tank. It was kind of an experiment to see how well the more porous tropical rock did, once I can switch out all the livestock into the 200 gallon I'll pull up the false bottom and see what the rock is looking like.

Other than that its pretty much the standard stuff, skimmer, UV filter, bioballs, bag of carbon, poly-pad, and a filter pad that I change regularly.

Archived