Coral Vue Hydros

how many

straydog

Common rule for fish is one inch per gallon but what is the rule for inverts. I was told they don't produce the amonia that fish do so you could add more inverts . I was wondering how many comepared to fish . Is there a rule as to how many inverts to gallon you can add? (I have 12 not including the micro stars in a 5.5 gallon)j

kamikaze_fish

I believe the rule on fish that you posted is general for freshwater but for saltwater it's 1inch per 5 gallons. As for inverts, it depends on the inverts. I've heard 1 snail per gallon, 1 hermit crab per gallon, 1 emerald crab per 15g, etc but you wouldn't exactly want 20 snails, 20 hermit crabs, and 1 emerald crab in a 20g tank. It would be too much. The best way to gauge it is to put them in as needed. If you have gha, then maybe get 1 emerald crab and see how it does. If in a couple weeks it doesn't get very far, then add a couple blue leg hermits. Etc. You don't want to go for the maximum right from the start is what I'm trying to say. Start small and increase as needed.

lakshwadeep

Inches per gallon rules are outdated for fish (not to mention too many people buy "baby" fish as if they will stay small), and with invertebrates, it's even harder to say what is actually needed. Invertebrates do produce ammonia (all animals produce wastes), but the larger issue is what type of invertebrates you're talking about since they are extremely diverse (i.e. snails, crabs, shrimp, corals, sea cucumbers, starfish, etc.).

The main thing to look for in invertebrates is food availability. Photosynthetic corals obviously need good lighting, while inverts that are part of your CUC need to have something to clean up. So, +1 to starting small; otherwise some of the CUC may die from starvation unless you feed them (which defeats the purpose of them helping clean up food). Here's a good guide to the CUC:

http://www.chucksaddiction.com/cleanupcrew.html

Inches per gallon rules are outdated for fish (not to mention too many people buy "baby" fish as if they will stay small), and with invertebrates, it's even harder to say what is actually needed. Invertebrates do produce ammonia (all animals produce wastes), but the larger issue is what type of invertebrates you're talking about since they are extremely diverse (i.e. snails, crabs, shrimp, corals, sea cucumbers, starfish, etc.).

The main thing to look for in invertebrates is food availability. Photosynthetic corals obviously need good lighting, while inverts that are part of your CUC need to have something to clean up. So, +1 to starting small; otherwise some of the CUC may die from starvation unless you feed them (which defeats the purpose of them helping clean up food). Here's a good guide to the CUC:

http://www.chucksaddiction.com/cleanupcrew.html

I have 1 pom pom crab,2 porcelin crabs,3 bumble bee shrimp,1 feather duster and 5 snails. They are all small they clean the tank verry whell and the tank is fed every 2 to 3 days . I was thinking of adding a few more but didn't want to over stock . Seeing I couldn't find a standard of how many would be safe or the limit I needed to ask ( LFS said “as many as you want they don't increse the bioload ”

kamikaze_fish

Never trust the LFS.

for a 5.5g I think you probably have a good CUC and don't need anything extra. My only thoughts would be if the 2 porcelain crabs might fight. Otherwise I'm jealous of your CUC lol. I started out with 1 per gallon on hermit crabs, then added a bunch of snails. That was a bad idea but definitely a noob mistake.

I drive a 18 wheeler from atlanta to difrent locatons in florida so if I have down time me and the GPS look for LFS. Inverts seem to travel the best . Sometimes they are in the cooler for 48 houres plus. I don't like to keep corales away from light that long.

lakshwadeep

So, only the snails are true CUC members. All the other inverts should be considered ornamental additions that need to be kept fed (except the feather duster if it is a hitchhiker). They should be fine in your 5.5 tank, but the pom pom may be aggressive to the other crustaceans.

Honestly, you shouldn't need more additions for your tank's size. The CUC is meant to be an addition to your own maintenance procedures like cleaning the glass and doing water changes. It's best to first see how algae is growing in the tank and avoiding excess nutrients. Usually it's hard to overstock inverts, except when starvation or aggression issues occur.

Archived