ReefCleaners.org

16 gallon bowfront

ulver982

Here's my 16 gallon bowfront. First, a little story behind it. I originally had a 7 gallon minibow, which took a turn for the worst after moving the tank. Soo, I decided to drill the 7 and add a sump. I moved all the contents of the 7 into a spare 10 gallon and got the 7 drilled, plumbed and added tap water for a test run. I figure I would leave the tank overnight to make sure everything was good. I woke up the next morning to water on the floor and a huge crack along the backside of the tank..ughhh. I really liked that tank too!

Soo, I ended up getting a 16 gallon bowfront (I've became fond of the bowfronts ) I drilled the tank and re-plumbed it. I felt a lot better about this tank considering the glass is a lot thicker than the 7.

Anywho, I decided to stick with LEDs and do LEDs on the 16. The tank is 20" long with a width of about 13" with the bow. I've got 24 LEDs total on the tank (12 cree xr-e and 12 cree royal blues). My dad has been putting together an arduino controller for the LEDs.

*Note - the picture of the tank is NOT with the LEDs, the LED fixture is on my 10 gallon as I wait for the 16 to cycle. I just have a crappy 28watt pc on the 16 for now.

The tank with live rock from premium aquatics. I highly recommended premium aquatics, they gave me some awesome looking fiji rock with some pieces with lots of coralline.

DSCF0961.jpg

Here's the sump with an Aquaticlife 115 mini skimmer:

DSCF0965.jpg

The LEDs:

DSCF0973.jpg

DSCF0974.jpg

I got the clean up crew in there..and I have a little bit of a diatom bloom, but nothing major. Water checks out just fine...will probably add a few corals in a couple days.

• 2 weeks later...
redkneecoral

wow, awesome LEDS, they make everything looking good.

Love what you have done with your sump, outstanding job

wow, awesome LEDS, they make everything looking good.

Love what you have done with your sump, outstanding job

Thanks. Still trying to get the controller going, plus I need to get a box for it too. I'll try to get an updated pic of my sump. I've got a light under there and with some live rock and cheato. My cheato is growing like crazy. I really like having a sump, makes things a lot easier and looks so much better.

redkneecoral

you know what, you are so right of what you said about having a sump.

I don't have asump for my tank, i am using an outsaide filter and i HATE it.

but money isn't allowing me to set a sump. I need surgery. but in due time

All and all, i love what you are doing. Looking great

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
redkneecoral
Some updated pics:

DSCF1040.jpg

DSCF1038.jpg

DSCF1039.jpg

DSCF1037.jpg

and the FTS:

DSCF1057.jpg

what a beautiful looking tank. I love how everything stands out and with so much color

• 1 month later...

hey nice, in the lower left corner of your tank is that a colt coral, i got one it looked fine at the lfs, now its all shriveled up and hard any ideas on how to salvage it

hey nice, in the lower left corner of your tank is that a colt coral, i got one it looked fine at the lfs, now its all shriveled up and hard any ideas on how to salvage it

The one in the corner is the same thing as the coral in the middle. I'm pretty sure it's a green nepthea. I took the pic right after the lights came on so it was still adjusting. Mine will occasionlly shrivle up, but usually comes back within a few days. They usually do that when they're growing or when being adjusted to a new tank. I wouldn't worry about it and just it give it a few days to adjust, they're really hardy corals.

• 6 months later...
fearofablackmetalplanet

nice tank and big ups on the ulver avatar!

could listen to that album over and over staring @ my tanks haha

Archived