Pod Your Reef

Experimental Macroalgae Troubleshooting Thread

johnmaloney

OK here are mine..I got 4 bags but I think 2 were nemastoma,..I have my fingers crossed that they make it fingerscrossed I'll kick a pod for real if gets to the nemastoma <_<

not sure what dis is

P1010004.jpg

or this

P1010002.jpg

:wub:

P1010001-1.jpg

how do they look to u John? will they make it :unsure:

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK here are mine..I got 4 bags but I think 2 were nemastoma,..I have my fingers crossed that they make it fingerscrossed I'll kick a pod for real if gets to the nemastoma <_<

not sure what dis is

P1010004.jpg

or this

P1010002.jpg

:wub:

P1010001-1.jpg

how do they look to u John? will they make it :unsure:

First one looks to me like the Halymenia that is supposed to be white.

(I got some too. H. duchasigna or sumtin)

Second one looks to me like Halymenia Elongata. I got a big bunch but it's more of a faded yellowish color at the moment with a little pink in places. I think it just needs to color up.

Last one looks like Nemastoma to me, looks nice.

Can't wait to hear what John says.

johnmaloney

maria, your sciania is dead unfortunately, I have more, learned hot to find it etc...Will replace it eventually. Sorry it didn't make it though. The halymenia elongata (the one you though was nemastoma), looks ok...a little torn though...it should bounce back. I have some that I collected that was torn here, and it is doing pretty good. I have it in very low light, probably less flow then I should...pipefish in that tank. I am hoping he controls the pods. Really though, as long as it doesn't get eaten it should come back from that.

(the sciania is the 2nd one)

Maria, I have enough Sciania that I could probably send you some once I'm sure it's stable.

I think the Sciania I got is doing fine.

You Halymenia Elongata has better color than mine though.

Mine is kind of a yellowish color.

johnmaloney

or maybe you got the sebdenia? I have to see the whole plant to tell them apart...

who got the nemastoma then? It has no definitive shape really. Would be really hard to explain which one it is in words...some dichotomy, but not really.

I'll try to get better pics up tomorrow.

John, you may have sent some Nemastoma to me.

There was one bag that said "Nem" on it.

That's the one I was talking about earlier in this thread when I asked if it could heal from tears if Pods left it alone.

Don't have a pic of it yet, will try to get one tomorrow.

I noticed a couple of small brown snails that I didn't think I had gotten in on recent orders from you and I wondered if they might have hitchhiked in on these Macros.

Hope they're not bad guys.

John, is this the Nemastoma? (on top)

IMG_5621.jpg

IMG_5615.jpg

This is the best pic I could get of the Halymenia Elongata. I know it's not great, but I dropped my camera in the water briefly trying to get a pic of it, it's in a difficult place to photograph well.

IMG_5608.jpg

Sciania

IMG_5609.jpg

johnmaloney

yep! those are all correctly ided, that is the nemastoma. You do have Halymenia elongata, (got2envy I think has the sebdenia, or a smaller haly piece, but I think it is sebdenia or not as big a picture as think). I posted more info just now in got2envy's thread, I kind of goofed on the Haly. d. id, or they changed the name or classification in the last 80 years since the original book was printed... I have the current Littler book, and she has it as Titanophora encrustans, looks about exact as you can get.

Better pics, more pics

IMG_5583.jpg

IMG_5587.jpg

IMG_5605.jpg

IMG_5590.jpg

John, did the Nemastoma look too terribly rough to you in those pics?

I have it in a Specimen Container hanging over the side of the tank, but still in the tank.

This pic shows how the water from the return spout from my Fuge flows into the container, then it overflows the edge of the container back into the tank.

IMG_5604.jpg

This way it has flow but is still pretty well protected.

johnmaloney

It looked a little beat up, but the color seemed about right/ a sort of reddish pink..... I think the specimen container is pretty brilliant, I might do the same thing but so far so good with the pipefish. the haly e looks healthier today, or it is just a truer picture, that is about what it looked like here.

maruksha - i still have some, I didn't ship them all out yet. Sorry! I didn't mean to skip over your post, I just got excited to see the pics.

thanks for sharing how it is going weetie, i am still learning about these macros too, the thing about the rarer ones is you dont get to have tons of experiences with them. Yours seem to be doing okay in what looks to be like some high lighting...but is the titanophora encrustans formerly haly duch getting softer? I forgot to tell you, with that one stress signs are softness. They always have the fleshy halymenia slip out of your hands feel, but they shouldn't crumble in your hand....well anyway that is what you are looking for with that one.

The Titanophora Encrustans seems ok to me, doesn't seem to be breaking down anywhere that I can see.

The Halymenia Elongata is a pale golden color all over, is that okay or is it a bad sign?

Also, I was checking on it just now and saw a tiny baby Nudi the same pale golden color on it!

Cute lil bugger, not sure what I should do about him.

johnmaloney

the color in picture 2, how it comes out on NR, is what you are aiming for. If it is lighter than that it is getting too much light. Keep it in the dark for 24 hours and see if it starts coming back to red.

Hmm, okay, it's getting too much light then.

The Halymenia and Sciania in those pics are the only ones that are in high light, but that's the only place I could start them and still be able to monitor them closely at first.

Guess I may have to leave those tank lights off for a day.

The other Macros in that little container that you are liked are under low light, 18w PC in a Pico.

johnmaloney

as long as it hasn't gone to pale the color should come back. You usually will notice the tips will be yellow or a lighter color, that is normal, but the base should be redder...well it should look like it does in pic 2 in real life, that is about what you are aiming for.

Okay, thanks John.

I guess this would be a good time to ask--

You say these Macros do better under lower light, exactly how low are we talking about?

I have a 16" tall 30g tank with Lower PAR T5HO over it and a 10" Cube Pico with 18w PC over it.

The Pico is small enough that I can't fit all of the Macros in there, but I have some flexibility to come up with other solutions.

Maybe I could break off a smallish section of the H. Elongata and put it in the Pico Cube.

Sorry if I'm bugging you with all of these questions, but I figure what better time and place for all of us to learn how to care for and propagate these Macros.

It would be awesome if we could successfully spread them around to a few of us.

In case I haven't mentioned it already, I am extremely appreciative of you for doing this, thanks so much for thinking of it and the work you've put into it.

You are the Macro King!

Okay, thanks John.

I guess this would be a good time to ask--

You say these Macros do better under lower light, exactly how low are we talking about?

I have a 16" tall 30g tank with Lower PAR T5HO over it and a 10" Cube Pico with 18w PC over it.

The Pico is small enough that I can't fit all of the Macros in there, but I have some flexibility to come up with other solutions.

Maybe I could break off a smallish section of the H. Elongata and put it in the Pico Cube.

Sorry if I'm bugging you with all of these questions, but I figure what better time and place for all of us to learn how to care for and propagate these Macros.

It would be awesome if we could successfully spread them around to a few of us.

In case I haven't mentioned it already, I am extremely appreciative of you for doing this, thanks so much for thinking of it and the work you've put into it.

You are the Macro King!

and a few of would glady accept them spread around to us. ;)

and a few of would glady accept them spread around to us. ;)

Lol, I'm sure I'll be spreading some around.

Lol @ ur new av too!

johnmaloney

I was keeping them at the bottom of my 72 under 130 watts of 50/50. They all did fine, now I have them for the last two days in the warehouse setups, they are 2 10k regular flourescents, T12s. The nemastoma looks better, the rest look the same except that the lighting looks yellower of course, so they have more of an orange look to them...well you know what I mean, there are no actinics so red goes orangeish...but the nemastoma may be growing a new holdfast. :) I am keeping my fingers crossed but it looks like it, there is sort of a nub at the bottom. Probably to early to tell, but I am excited nonetheless.

edit - i forgot to mention they are both 40w bulbs 6 inches off of a 29 long

The macros were looking better this morning before I left for work...I really trimmed the tank to make room for the new macros :)

My Titanophora Encrustans has a bit of pinkish in some areas...is this normal?

I left the Sciania in there...I am hoping for the best even tho John says it's kaput :( some looks kinda yellowish and other parts have that pinkish color to it.

I <3 sebdenia...wowza what a nice macro!!! They are all wowza actually haha

I am running 2x 65w 6700k/10000k and 2x 65w 420/460nm PC's :unsure:

pix were taken under actinics only

johnmaloney

splotchy pinkish and red spots are prefectly normal, good sign of health. At least from the old book..lol...no it is a good thing it should have patchy areas.

you should see the nemastoma piece I kept..wow....lol...sorry! That one was to sweet to ship...lol....sorry! hahaha... I figure I can use it to send out if there are issues the first time and the spot dried up.

260w huh? that is what my light setup is, the odyssea fixture...I haven't turned both on them because I have shocked them before with too much light...see how they do when you return, if they look worse try shading them as they may have been rebounding in the dark at night...if they look better it aint broke so...

I should be home by 7pm after the daylights go out, but actinics are still on till 8pm...I will give an update...I kinda have them in the middle of the tank where the middle brace of the tank is at...shadiest part of the tank....I also use glass tops.

I wanna stop by Target and p/u a soap dish to put the Sebdenia in...how should I attach this John?

lol we need to chip in and buy u a underwater camera so you can take pix of the macros how you find them :P

I am sure one flipper, camera in one hand and pulling macros with the other hand in the current would be fun :lol: pix would be a blurr omgomgomg

Archived