Pod Your Reef

shrimp always hiding

sinfony78

i just put a fire shrimp in my 10g, that's the only thing in there other than corals and snails/hermits...it's been keeping behind a rock for the most part, and when i try to lure him out with some food, i can only get him so far before he retreats back there...

will he eventually get used to the place and come out or will he hide forever? i got him from the LFS and he shared a tank with another cleaner shrimp, so he's at least used to seeing other live animals

cheryl jordan

They do hide alot, mine has been hiding for over a year.

He only comes out if you walk up to the tank in hopes he will get feed.

It is a beautiful shrimp and worth having even if rarely seen IMO.

Mine also tries to clean my clownfish but they will have nothing to do with him.

Same here, it's always hiding except when I bring the pipette with food, then it come out and grab the end of the pipette to get the food. I was thinking of buying another one to see if that help them be more in the open. Mine has been hiding like that since I got it 4 months ago, so it is not likely that yours will come out more.

They do hide alot, mine has been hiding for over a year.

He only comes out if you walk up to the tank in hopes he will get feed.

It is a beautiful shrimp and worth having even if rarely seen IMO.

Mine also tries to clean my clownfish but they will have nothing to do with him.

My fireshrimp did the same. Cleaner shrimp are the ones who are out most of the time. They tend to annoy people...like me!

man this sucks, spent 20 bucks on a shrimp i have to look for...i'm def getting a cleaner shrimp tho, hopefully it'll force the fire out in the open...otherwise may ask the LFS if i can trade it in for a better one...strange tho that it is the only inhabitant in the tank and it's scurred

I don't see much of my cleaner shrimp either.. that's what happens when you live at the bottom of the food chain.. you hides.. :ninja:

FiletOFish

Each individual shrimp in the same species is different. My previous shrimp stayed out all the time and mingled with the fish a lot. The one I have now has been hiding for almost a year now. I just get glimpses of its whiskers during the day.

meganistkrieg

As far as I understand it, fire shrimp tend to be a rather shy species. They look beautiful but prefer to stay in the shadows. Skunk cleaners don't look quite as showy but they're much more energetic and willing to interact with... er... everything! :D

Dmarmontello

I have owned a fire, peppermint, and cleaner. Most outgoing: Cleaner.. he climbs on me, swims around, very active. Peppermint fairly outgoing. Fire Shrimp.. coolest looking but would only come out for food.

EDIT: Also, give it time.. Shrimp are shy at first but as they realize they don't have any predators they become pretty outgoing.

Archived