ReefCleaners.org

Ecoxotic LED Club

VtheMaestro

Yup. 6 blue, 4 white, 2 red. Can't wait to see it when I'm QT'ing corals.

It's a very patriotic device. ;)

Won't even need dimmability... I can raise the fixture up to about 16 inches and/or angle the light to increase the reflection off the water...

Yeah I have my 20k bulb 13" off the surface of my pico. Kind of the sweet spot I've found. Any closer and my softies dont fully expand.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Even if you use two and can geta PAR value of 110, it's not enough for any SPS other than one species of acropora that I know of offhand, most SPS will need 250-300+. Their water penetration is also abysmal.

EDIT: I know now that that was a post from a while ago, but I wanted to point that out.

Actual readings:

1 12K White/445nm Blue Module - 55 PAR at the bottom of a 28 Gallon Biocube

1 12K White/445nm Blue & 1 445nm Blue - 85 PAR at the bottom

So you are right Ben, The SPS would have to be placed at the top.

Even if you use two and can geta PAR value of 110, it's not enough for any SPS other than one species of acropora that I know of offhand, most SPS will need 250-300+. Their water penetration is also abysmal.

EDIT: I know now that that was a post from a while ago, but I wanted to point that out.

Actual readings:

So you are right Ben, The SPS would have to be placed at the top. Minimum 3 PRO's in a BC14 for SPS, 4 PRO's in a BC29 at a minimum

jedimasterben
Question about the reflectors on the panorama PROs.

How do you take them off?!

You need to take them out to dinner first. A glass of wine or two would probably help.

I had a salt water tank many years ago and just recently got back into it again. I recently purchased a Nano Cube 24 gallon DX and was looking into upgrading the lighting to LED's. Can anyone recommend which lights I should get for the stock Nano Cube 24 DX hood? I was looking at the Ecoxotic. Any recommendations would be great.

Jim

thehobdenmarina

so not sure what this thread is for.. Ecoxotic owners? I'll post a pic later on of how I rigged mine up. I tossed a blue/magenta stunner on my AI Sol Super Blue, Doesn't make a real difference in the day, but the night is amazingly more colorful. I am thinking at this point I should have almost went for the panorama pro module. meh.. next tank will be all DIY with lots of UV/magentas, very bright look to it in the end. :)

Actual readings:

So you are right Ben, The SPS would have to be placed at the top.

Actual readings:

So you are right Ben, The SPS would have to be placed at the top. Minimum 3 PRO's in a BC14 for SPS, 4 PRO's in a BC29 at a minimum

Do you know the PAR #'s at the top and middle of the tank.

jedimasterben
Do you know the PAR #'s at the top and middle of the tank.

From what I remember seeing, not too awful much higher than that, unfortunately. It doesn't get up into "good for SPS" territory until you're 6" or so away from the strip.

I have 4 panorama pros over my 18" cube. I have great color and growth from everything except my SPS. I have 2 types of birdsnest and while they grow very well and have nice PE they are pretty much brown. I have them right under my pros and they had great color when I got them.

I'll be upgrading soon and I'll be switching to T5s

From what I remember seeing, not too awful much higher than that, unfortunately. It doesn't get up into "good for SPS" territory until you're 6" or so away from the strip.

Recommended placement is 4" above the water line. At that level, you'll get great PAR numbers. If your looking to mount your lights much higher than that, then Panorama Pros aren't the way to go. They were designed to be placed in a housing fixture, which mounts right to the tank, ending up about 4-6" over the water.

jedimasterben
I have 4 panorama pros over my 18" cube. I have great color and growth from everything except my SPS. I have 2 types of birdsnest and while they grow very well and have nice PE they are pretty much brown. I have them right under my pros and they had great color when I got them.

I'll be upgrading soon and I'll be switching to T5s

You have the ones that are 12K and blue, I'm guessing?

Recommended placement is 4" above the water line. At that level, you'll get great PAR numbers. If your looking to mount your lights much higher than that, then Panorama Pros aren't the way to go. They were designed to be placed in a housing fixture, which mounts right to the tank, ending up about 4-6" over the water.

I meant under the water, I didn't mean for the height of the fixture above the water. Placing them high is asking for trouble and paying a lot of money for something that's not going to work well the way you're using it. ;)

I meant under the water, I didn't mean for the height of the fixture above the water. Placing them high is asking for trouble and paying a lot of money for something that's not going to work well the way you're using it. ;)

Gotcha.

The 5 module stock fixture (3x12k/445nm, and 2x445nm), gives you over 200 PAR at 24". It all really depends on which modules, and how many you go with. I was under the impression, that a browning coral like birdsnest, is healthy. By that I mean, isnt it producing too much zooxanthellae? Maybe fromm a high nutrient tank? Which is why I thought people starve their tanks when housing sps, over skim, to keep nutrients way down. Essentially keeping sps "hungry"?

Does anyone have problems with Panorama Pro led being burned out. I have 3 modules, 2 - 445nm and 1 - 12k/445nm. Al of them were purchased around the same time, March, beg of April. The white/blue burned out about 2 weeks ago. I received a replacement that worked two days and I am going to receive a new one probably next week. The blue modules work fine and they are at the same level and distance from the water level. By the way, here is the email that Ecoxotic sends when opening trouble ticket:

(part)

We have a quick tip that may help prevent future issues... Be sure that there is air circulation for the Panorama Module including use of the rubber spacers when mounting so lights are not flush again a canopy or reflector. Also use your canopy's built-in fan or install fans that blow across the modules if convection cooling is not possible (allowing air to flow up through holes in the top of the housing). Taking these steps will keep the module from overheating and failing. Modules should not exceed 55 degrees Celsius or 131 degrees Fahrenheit. If your module(s) is too hot to touch then you will need to take steps to lower the operating temperature.

Also you will need to make sure the modules are at least 6 inches away from the water or protected by a glass top or lens cover. Constant exposure to water, especially saltwater will shorten the life of your modules.

Does anyone have problems with Panorama Pro led being burned out. I have 3 modules, 2 - 445nm and 1 - 12k/445nm. Al of them were purchased around the same time, March, beg of April. The white/blue burned out about 2 weeks ago. I received a replacement that worked two days and I am going to receive a new one probably next week. The blue modules work fine and they are at the same level and distance from the water level. By the way, here is the email that Ecoxotic sends when opening trouble ticket:

(part)

We have a quick tip that may help prevent future issues... Be sure that there is air circulation for the Panorama Module including use of the rubber spacers when mounting so lights are not flush again a canopy or reflector. Also use your canopy's built-in fan or install fans that blow across the modules if convection cooling is not possible (allowing air to flow up through holes in the top of the housing). Taking these steps will keep the module from overheating and failing. Modules should not exceed 55 degrees Celsius or 131 degrees Fahrenheit. If your module(s) is too hot to touch then you will need to take steps to lower the operating temperature.

Also you will need to make sure the modules are at least 6 inches away from the water or protected by a glass top or lens cover. Constant exposure to water, especially saltwater will shorten the life of your modules.

How are your lights mounted?

Ive heard this happening to more than a few people. If you fully enclose the modules, like in a hood or canopy, they tend to burn out. Either from overheating, or too much moisture. Ecoxotic once claimed they were water"proof", but have since changed that to highly water"resistant". The heatsinks produce enough heat to quickly overheat the LEDs, if not properly vented. The newer modules (panoramas), have a somewhat safeguard, as they'll start flashing on and off, if overheating is occurring/or an improper power supply is used. If you dont see them flashing prior to burning out, maybe its moisture?

Mine are too new to comment, but are mounted using the rubber spacers, are protected from moisture with the factory guard from my BC29, and I upgraded the cooling fans in the hood. I'll definitely report if I run into any failures. So far, I'm very happy with them. Now if I can just figure out how to take a photo that actually looks like my tank.

How are your lights mounted?

/or an improper power supply is used. If you dont see them flashing prior to burning out, maybe its moisture?

My lights are not enclosed. As for the power supply, I use a 3rd party 24V power supply, not the original. It is 70W and 1.5 A. Interestingly, the other blue module that work fine are connected to the original power supply.

Any thoughts?

My lights are not enclosed. As for the power supply, I use a 3rd party 24V power supply, not the original. It is 70W and 1.5 A. Interestingly, the other blue module that work fine are connected to the original power supply.

Any thoughts?

Not sure. I mean you'd think as long as the power supply is rated sufficient enough to power the lights...but I'm sure Ecoxotic would recommend only using theirs.

I was placing an order for saltmix yesterday so I added the original power supply to it. I changed the power supply recently when I bought Apex. When I think about it now it is very possible that the 3rd party power supply burned the leds. I wanted to save a few bucks and I purchased a cheap power supply on Amazon. All the parameters were the same as the original, even the power is a bit more, 70W instead of 60W on the original but maybe it's only on the data sheet. If the module survive I will know for sure.

• 1 month later...
gulfsurfer101

So can the pro's and stunners be powered from the same power supply from ecoxotic along with the inline dimmer.

TeflonTomDosh
So can the pro's and stunners be powered from the same power supply from ecoxotic along with the inline dimmer.

refer to your avatar

Nano sapiens

How about a whole gaggle of Stunners (all with individual reflectors):

5StunnersOn.jpg

I actually added one more recently, just for fun, so that makes six on a 12g :)

LPS are doing real fine, as expected. I keep some hard corals (various Monits, Leptastrea, Pavona, etc.) and color and growth are improving weekly (I just installed all these a few weeks ago).

Recent coral pics:

M. undata - Tyree 'True Undata' strain (physical damage on the bottom from 'yours truly'), M. setosa (Tyree) up top, orange Leptastrea in the background

Undata080712.jpg

Leptastrea sp.

RegLeptastrea080712.jpg

Archived