267 replies to this topic

chippwalters

chippwalters

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 378 posts
  • Joined 29 Aug 2011
  • Dripping Springs, TX

Hope no one minds if I revive this! I'm waiting on a Panorama Pro Module and a RGB Module to arrive end of this week. I'm hoping it will be a good investment! :)

I had two LEDs go out on my PP but Ecoxotic replaced it for free. Good customer support.

myThreads.pngada60p.pngadaIcon.png3dReactorIcon.png

mike c

mike c

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 973 posts
  • Joined 03 Apr 2011
  • Santa Barbara, CA

Hope no one minds if I revive this! I'm waiting on a Panorama Pro Module and a RGB Module to arrive end of this week. I'm hoping it will be a good investment! :)

Your gonna love them! However you decide to mount them, do NOT cover the heatsinks, or fully enclose the module. This can lead to overheating, premature ware, and/or burn out. But as stated above, great customer service. Join their FB page.

nystang

nystang

Reefer

• Members
  • 707 posts
  • Joined 01 Feb 2012
  • Brooklyn
How I didn't find this thread before?
I have Marineland Reef Capable LEDs and decided to add more lights so I bought 12k/453nm blue module. I was very happy. The module overpowers the Marineland and the tank never looked so good. However I wanted to add more blue to the tank so I bought 453nm stunner. After it arrived I played with it and decided to return it. It is just too weak and you can't even tell if it is on. What is more it doesn't add PAR to the tank so I ordered 453nm blue module. It should arrive this week. So all in all I will have:
Marineland Reef Capable LEDS
Ecoxotic Panorama Pro12k/453blue module
Ecoxotic Panorama 453blue module
My tank is 29g. What do you think? Am I ready for some SPS everybody is talking about?

banshee

banshee

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 2,135 posts
  • Joined 15 Feb 2012
  • Pittsburgh, PA

Your gonna love them! However you decide to mount them, do NOT cover the heatsinks, or fully enclose the module. This can lead to overheating, premature ware, and/or burn out. But as stated above, great customer service. Join their FB page.

I'm planning to mount them in my BC14 hood. I really don't want to lose the hood. I guess I may have to upgrade the fans after all then?

mike c

mike c

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 973 posts
  • Joined 03 Apr 2011
  • Santa Barbara, CA

I'm planning to mount them in my BC14 hood. I really don't want to lose the hood. I guess I may have to upgrade the fans after all then?

People have kept them enclosed with fans, with success I guess. But combined with moisture from the heat, its s risk. I don't know, I guess I'm biased when it comes to fully enclosing them. Every thread I read about modules burning out, had the one thing in common.

nystang, for sps you may want to do one more 12k/445nm. Your gonna end up getting rid on the marineland LEDs anyway. Lol.

surgicalsense

surgicalsense

... cookie?!

• Members
  • 4,835 posts
  • Joined 04 Sep 2011
  • Albuquerque, NM

You can keep your stock fans. There is a module you can purchase to run the fans. Gena has it. She told me about it however, I have slacked on getting it. But I am using the spacers between my heatsinks and hood.

NC24

metrokat

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer ;)

• Premium Members
  • 27,887 posts
  • Joined 14 Jul 2011
  • New York

+1

So all in all I will have:
Marineland Reef Capable LEDS
Ecoxotic Panorama Pro12k/453blue module
Ecoxotic Panorama 453blue module
My tank is 29g. What do you think? Am I ready for some SPS everybody is talking about?

Suggest minimum 3 but ideally 4 PRO's for a 29Gallon for SPS.
1 PRO has 55 PAR, 2 have 85 PAR. WHich is far too less for SPS
Not sure what PAR is marineland.

Click the Icons for links

Kats.png max.png TOTM.png featuredRB.png NLOGO.jpg MDfish_White_Background_copy_bigger.jpg JBJ-Cubey-3-Gallon-Desktop-Aquarium-Blac

nystang

nystang

Reefer

• Members
  • 707 posts
  • Joined 01 Feb 2012
  • Brooklyn
Here are the numbers for Marineland. My tank is 18" high with 2-3" sandbed.

banshee

banshee

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 2,135 posts
  • Joined 15 Feb 2012
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Do you think 2 pros will be enough for the BC14 if I ever want to get into SPS? Hmmmm, maybe I'll have to grab a third in the near future. :happy:

metrokat

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer ;)

• Premium Members
  • 27,887 posts
  • Joined 14 Jul 2011
  • New York

Here are the numbers for Marineland. My tank is 18" high with 2-3" sandbed.

96 is still low for SPS. Sanjay Joshi has a really good article on LED's somewhere, see if you can find it on google.

Do you think 2 pros will be enough for the BC14 if I ever want to get into SPS? Hmmmm, maybe I'll have to grab a third in the near future. :happy:

2 should be enough initially for SPS that do not require high light, and you would still need to put them very high up. You will need a 3rd at some point.

Kats.png max.png TOTM.png featuredRB.png NLOGO.jpg MDfish_White_Background_copy_bigger.jpg JBJ-Cubey-3-Gallon-Desktop-Aquarium-Blac

j86miu

j86miu

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Joined 08 Dec 2011
I hooked up a Pro and stunner to hood of my biocube 14. I kept the stock fans with no heating issues.

My water temperature is constant at 78-79F and the hood gets warm but not hot. Then again it hasn't hit 95 degrees outside yet either so i hope it stays cool in the summer too.

I experimenting with some SPS and they seem to be doing ok. it's only been about a week so i'll have stay on top of them. Anybody has success with just one pro and sps?

21093r53

21093r53

College Reefer

• Members
  • 2,139 posts
  • Joined 15 Jul 2011
  • Maryland
where is the application form?
25 cube
250wt Radium 20k, 4 x 24w giesemann actinic+, 16 x 6wt 420nm leds
asm g1-x
50wt ebo heater
SP 3000 powered by JBJ ATO
Deltec GFO reactor
Deltec carbon reactor
Aquamedic triple reef doser
RKL, sl1, net

any questions?

Baltimore Area Reef Hobbyists

feedback can be seen here...http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=302303

metrokat

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer ;)

• Premium Members
  • 27,887 posts
  • Joined 14 Jul 2011
  • New York

I hooked up a Pro and stunner to hood of my biocube 14. I kept the stock fans with no heating issues.

My water temperature is constant at 78-79F and the hood gets warm but not hot. Then again it hasn't hit 95 degrees outside yet either so i hope it stays cool in the summer too.

I experimenting with some SPS and they seem to be doing ok. it's only been about a week so i'll have stay on top of them. Anybody has success with just one pro and sps?

Pardon the caps

YOUR SPS WILL DIE. I have personally spent weeks communicating with ecoxotic directly on this very issue. The PAR #'s I shared in an earlier post on this thread are PAR values from Ecoxotic. 1 PRO has a par value of 55 which is good for polyps and some LPS, it is not sufficient for SPS at all. A minimum of 2 to get started but you will need 3 PROs to have growth and corals that go "bam".

In my 14G I also had 1 PRO and 1 stunner on the recommendation of ecoxotic I'd like to point out. They have since then revised their guidelines for the BC14 to a minimum of 2 PRO's for SPS.

metrokat

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer ;)

• Premium Members
  • 27,887 posts
  • Joined 14 Jul 2011
  • New York
Dec 10th: Leptastrea in the BC14 with 1 PRO and 1 stunner (a Jason Fox Coral I might add!)
Posted Image

Jan 31: Leptastrea and Rainbow Monti (both Jason Fox corals)
Posted Image

ORA spongodes under panorama
Posted Image

JFox poker star monti after it's 2 month life under 1 Panorama:
Posted Image

Leptastrea today under T5's
Posted Image

ORA spongodes under T5:
Posted Image

Today, rainbow monti on the ledge, poker star coming back to life on the rack, under T5s:
Posted Image

Edited by metrokat, 10 April 2012 - 06:23 AM.

HVani

HVani

Defender of Hermit Crabs

• Members
  • 2,583 posts
  • Joined 24 Nov 2009
  • Wisconsin
I have 2 birdsnest right under my panorama pros in my 25 gallon. I have 3 pros, 2 12k/Blue and 1 magenta blue. My SPS are growing well and have great polpy extension but the color is very meh. I"m going to be adding a 4th strip in a month or so to hopefully help them along. Otherwise I might ditch the SPS and got all softies and LPS, those have looked amazing under my lights.

avatar1_zps98d22989.jpg                     8icon1_zps80c8ff3c.jpg

banshee

banshee

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 2,135 posts
  • Joined 15 Feb 2012
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Hmm, now I'm wishing I had ordered a third.

I'm getting:
1 x Panorama Pro LED Module 24V- 19 Watt 12K White/445nm Blue
1 x Panorama Pro RGB Module

What should I get for the third? Another White/Blue or blue/magenta?

metrokat

metrokat

High Heeled Reefer ;)

• Premium Members
  • 27,887 posts
  • Joined 14 Jul 2011
  • New York
colors are personal preferences to be honest. my pro is a 12K/453, and the 2 stunners I have, one is magenta/453 the other is pure blue 453

chippwalters

chippwalters

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 378 posts
  • Joined 29 Aug 2011
  • Dripping Springs, TX

Hmm, now I'm wishing I had ordered a third.

I'm getting:
1 x Panorama Pro LED Module 24V- 19 Watt 12K White/445nm Blue
1 x Panorama Pro RGB Module

What should I get for the third? Another White/Blue or blue/magenta?

Personally, I'd get another 12K PP. I recently purchased two Ecoxotic 12K Par38's for my ADA shallow tank and I really prefer their color to my 12K PP + 2 actinic stunners on my Pico.

myThreads.pngada60p.pngadaIcon.png3dReactorIcon.png

nystang

nystang

Reefer

• Members
  • 707 posts
  • Joined 01 Feb 2012
  • Brooklyn
I have 1 12k/453 blue and 1 453 blue on its way. I am building a small mount to install them and I will post some pics once it's all installed, no sooner than Sunday.

banshee

banshee

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 2,135 posts
  • Joined 15 Feb 2012
  • Pittsburgh, PA
My modules are out for delivery! I'm seriously thinking about 'getting sick' so I can go home and play with them! :lol:

HVani

HVani

Defender of Hermit Crabs

• Members
  • 2,583 posts
  • Joined 24 Nov 2009
  • Wisconsin
I have 2 12k/blue and 1 magenta/blue. I'm going to be getting another magenta/blue down the road. The 12k/blue is really bright and overpowering to my stunners. The magenta/blue really adds something to the tank.

avatar1_zps98d22989.jpg                     8icon1_zps80c8ff3c.jpg

banshee

banshee

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 2,135 posts
  • Joined 15 Feb 2012
  • Pittsburgh, PA
LEDs are in! :D

Posted Image

Pretty sure if I can do this then ANYONE can do it. I managed not to break anything, electrocute myself, or lose any kids or livestock in the process so I'll consider it a success! :lol: I can't wait to see how my corals react tomorrow. Crossing my fingers they like it!

mike c

mike c

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 973 posts
  • Joined 03 Apr 2011
  • Santa Barbara, CA
Sah-weet!!!

nystang

nystang

Reefer

• Members
  • 707 posts
  • Joined 01 Feb 2012
  • Brooklyn

LEDs are in! :D

Pretty sure if I can do this then ANYONE can do it. I managed not to break anything, electrocute myself, or lose any kids or livestock in the process so I'll consider it a success! :lol: I can't wait to see how my corals react tomorrow. Crossing my fingers they like it!

So how does your tank look like and how your livestock reacted. It is more on the bright white side, isn't it? Did you order a dimmer?

banshee

banshee

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 2,135 posts
  • Joined 15 Feb 2012
  • Pittsburgh, PA

So how does your tank look like and how your livestock reacted. It is more on the bright white side, isn't it? Did you order a dimmer?

Looks good. I only ran them for about an hour last night as I finished the install close to 8PM. The first module is the 12k/445nm so white/blue but looks very white. The RGB I adjusted to be more blue/magenta to offset the white. Everything looked happy with the new lights and my BTA started to move upwards immediately. There's pics in my tank thread. I did put a dimmer on the 12k/445nm but I have it set to 100% for today to see how things react and if the corals aren't happy I'll go down to 50-60% and increase from there over the next couple weeks. Now I just need to decide if I want to get a RKL to control it all! That and I might add another 12k/445nm or the 445nm/magenta. If I have room I might add a stunner strip as well since I got the 3 way splitter. I need to get another transformer so I can operate the RGB seperate from the other modules.