Pod Your Reef

bonese's 40b | revival

bonese

D - Def get back to me. It'll be a good time had by all.

Black acrylic JP I have the weld on to attach it but I'm unsure of 2 sided or 3 sided. Is there a different GPH?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if the wield on will bond to the glass. But check. The 2 vs 3 side gph will be set by the length of the weir if there the same then they will have the flow per inch. Which you want as low as posable.

Check what a glass shop would cost to make one out of black glass.

The acrylic should work. Being held in place by the pressure. But maybe reinforce the acrylic with glass if the weld on doesn't bond to glass.

So my birthday just passed. I didn't get anything for the tank but hopefully i can decide whether I want a 2 or 3 sided overflow with the proper dimensions. JP you suggest the 2 sided - what height do you suggest for it?

addam4208283

nice another 40 breeder thread. going to watch this one too.

adam

nice another 40 breeder thread. going to watch this one too.

adam

I'm almost ready to fill her up but have a few minor tweaks to work out.

Where would you suggest me to go for dry dead rock?

What kind of aquascape do you think I should go with? I was leaning towards bonsai but input is also necessary before any final decisions.

• 2 weeks later...

Tomorrow will mark the first day I have put work time on the build in a while. I hope to have the area setup and clean by tomorrow night with pictures up and running. It will hopefully go smoothly but I can understand if there are a few bumps in the way.

Im thinking about the bonsai aquascape but still have NO idea how to make that happen. An insight will be greatly appreciated.

This is gonna be an awesome tank!! You're doing it right from that start and I love it.

Im thinking about the bonsai aquascape but still have NO idea how to make that happen. An insight will be greatly appreciated.

I know most people here don't like this website, but here is a link to the Bonsai inspiration for my cube build. He used acrylic rods and zip ties with epoxy to set up the rockwork.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1288059

Another option would be to custom order something from Marco Rocks.

http://www.marcorocks.com/

Thing about trying to aquascape is that when you decide to buy a coral colony, You have to rearange the whole thing.

You tried soo hard to make it look like how it does.

what i like to do is keep alot of open space and not bond anything 2gether untill your tank is starting to filll out.

AKA aqascape according to your corals. -

This is gonna be an awesome tank!! You're doing it right from that start and I love it.

I know most people here don't like this website, but here is a link to the Bonsai inspiration for my cube build. He used acrylic rods and zip ties with epoxy to set up the rockwork.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1288059

Another option would be to custom order something from Marco Rocks.

http://www.marcorocks.com/

Thanks Nugz - That tank on RC is ridiculously scaped. I hope to be going for something like that if I can find the appropriate rocks. I did check out marcorocks and he does have great reviews and some people swear by him, however I shot him an email but haven't gotten a response yet.

LOVE the Magma Chalice. Such a good color. It's in direct light half way up hopefully that will do the trick. The Orange Lepestrae is awesome as well and I like the paly grandis much more than I thought I would. Thanks so much again everything looks sweet and arrived perfectly.

Can't wait to see your bonsai scaping (if that's how you go) This is a great build..I'm tagging along :D

Thanks! I like how you went with the idea of looking at a map and scaping the chain of islands, really nifty idea. I hope to get this set up soon but am in no rush really. My "Bonsai" scape might not be an actual Bonsai scape but I hope to do maybe an Open Swimming - Minimalist - Bonsai Approach. But well see what I like when it comes time to sit back and look at it.

Nugz posted the link I was just about to look for ck has a good how to if you need more info & DHaut has his put together to look at.

As to the overFlow genraly I like the waterline hiden by the trim. So I would match the top of the overflow to the bottom of the trim. As to size that's more or less based on flow. Give me a second be back with the math.

Ok so its like way to early for math. But something like 8x4 or 10x4 shold be pretty good at around the 300gph range.

Haha thanks bitts. I too like the water level hidden by the trim so I asked Christian what he thinks and I'm awaiting an email back.

I did however order 50lbs of key largo rock as well as the cement to bond them together. As for rods I plan to use http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx...d=searchresults

Please let me know what you guys think and if I should use and acrylic base plate to anchor the rock. Also are the washers nessasary?

Not sure about the washers. but my goal in a bonsia scape would be to get the rocks off the sand by like an inch or so. Therefore would use a plate or some thing.

Rocks will be coming in in Tuesday I then can start to plan everything out better I still have yet to get an exact measurement on my overflow as I want the water level hidden any suggestions?

Thanks Nugz - That tank on RC is ridiculously scaped. I hope to be going for something like that if I can find the appropriate rocks. I did check out marcorocks and he does have great reviews and some people swear by him, however I shot him an email but haven't gotten a response yet.

LOVE the Magma Chalice. Such a good color. It's in direct light half way up hopefully that will do the trick. The Orange Lepestrae is awesome as well and I like the paly grandis much more than I thought I would. Thanks so much again everything looks sweet and arrived perfectly.

I'm glad you like the frags!

I'm glad you made it go so easy!

Do I need to have a baseplate to screw the threaded rod in to or can I just have it screwed into a heavy rock - All the pieces I see are expensive for the nylon baseplate any help would be loved as well as used.

I'm in need of some guidance on the drill bit to use. I ordered my rods as well as cement but am wondering which drill bits I will need for the 3/8 and 1/4 rods. Diamond tip? How long should the bit itself be? Do they sell these at gone depot and I'm just an idiot.

To hide the water line mount the overflow close to the trim.

As for the bit. Any mortar bit should do. Just like drilling in concrete.

Picked up everything to start the scape.

Now debate: Which Controller should I go with for this build?

We want PICHERS!! omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg

I plan to do a Bonsai scape on my 40B contest build :)

From my readings, reefkeeper makes the best controllers.

We want PICHERS!! omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg

I plan to do a Bonsai scape on my 40B contest build :)

From my readings, reefkeeper makes the best controllers.

No pictures yet. Nothing is in order and it's scattered throughout the house. Im checking into the reef keeper elite not the net as I don't think i will be able to get a internet signal in the basement where the tank is.

In other news: I have to mount the tarp under my stairs so no dust or dirt. Also I have to paint it flat black. The wall the tank is going on i also have to paint and I chose to use chalkboard paint in case I want to right down numbers or water change dates I can now just write it on the wall.

Finally I'm having trouble finding black reef safe silicone as well as 1" thick acrylic or nylon baseplate for my rock work. Does anyone have any ideas on where to get this or any alternatives? You would be a life saver.

Whoa one stop shop spanko. Thanks for all the sources - I needed the black silicone for the overflow but am afraid I need to go with the weld on for a acrylic to glass application. I ordered everything thats plastic from US plastics - GREAT company and they are sending out my threaded rods right now. I just don't think I can justify $100 for the acrylic base plates. You have any other ideas?

Archived