ReefCleaners.org

Mini/Mini Maxi Anemone Showoff Thread

NaClCrocodile

Yeah I'm selling them at around that price, but they are not small. Around 3"-4".

Survival rate is 95%.

Dry the nem. Use a new blade and cut it through the middle. Throw back into tank.

I missed out on your last eBay individuals. I've been checking daily for more. *fingers crossed*

Nasty Canasta
Yeah I'm selling them at around that price, but they are not small. Around 3"-4".

Survival rate is 95%.

Dry the nem. Use a new blade and cut it through the middle. Throw back into tank.

Really is that simple??

Hmmm...tempting....of course should it go wrong expect a letter from my legal team...

J.Cheever Loophole Attorney at Law!

Ipsouth, love the red one in the middle, very nice:-)

Edited by Nasty Canasta
There are $20 maxis on ebay, they are also pretty darn small. I have some I would sell for $20 -$30. They might not be the best colors, but they are still nice.

Trouble is most are cut...I've bought ones that were cut before and they never healed. I'd rather pay more for one that wasn't fragged.

Trouble is most are cut...I've bought ones that were cut before and they never healed. I'd rather pay more for one that wasn't fragged.

Thanks, I didnt realize.

I got one for my birthday yesterday. He was $60, but it was local and beautiful. After getting him home I realized he has 2 mouths O.o

Right now he is all curled up now, the other half is on the other side of the rock. Good sized - maybe 6" when fluffed

photo.jpg

Edited by Neya
Thanks, I didnt realize.

I got one for my birthday yesterday. He was $60, but it was local and beautiful. After getting him home I realized he has 2 mouths O.o

Right now he is all curled up now, the other half is on the other side of the rock. Good sized - maybe 6" when fluffed

photo.jpg

Your mutant is very pretty :lol:

pmoradi2002
Really is that simple??

Hmmm...tempting....of course should it go wrong expect a letter from my legal team...

J.Cheever Loophole Attorney at Law!

Yes that simple. I tried it myself for the first time the other night with great success.

None of mine are cut. I know that Reef Gardener's are all cut, but they are all healed.

Edited by pmoradi2002
Your mutant is very pretty :lol:

Which leads me into my next question. Ive heard these guys don't naturally split, but has anyone ever seen a maxi mini with 2 mouths that are apart from each other. Almost reminds me of a ricordea with 2 seperate mouths - however still attached on the fringes. Mouths I'd guestimate are 1" minimum apart. One mouth is smaller than the other. Both seem responsive to food.

Edited by Neya
  • 2 weeks later...

Bumping this because one of my maxi-minis thinks it's a BTA and has gone on a rampage throughout my tank.

He moved from the bottom right corner of my aquapod to the top left in about 2 days while walking over 2 ricordeas and a frag of zoas. One of the ricordeas got so mad it split so I moved the living half and the trampled half looks like poop now :(

I thought they were content all living happily together and touching eachother, now this one wants to be a jerk.. what gives maxi, you were my favorite!

lpsouth1978

Got my new nems today. They are all doing well. All of them attached to the rocks right away and opened up pretty quick. I am glad, because the first batch that was shipped didn't survive. The MaxiMan did well with the shipping and took care of me. Here are some pics that I took real fast with my iphone. They are not great but you get the idea. These were taken about 5 minutes after putting them in the tank.

5fb081d0.jpg

267ff266.jpg

04a233e6.jpg

66111871.jpg

6096fff8.jpg

Nasty Canasta

Can anyone tell me why one of mine has started shrinking up to about an inch?

It goes back to normal size eventually, but my others don't do this i'm just worried its getting sick or something?

It's only started doing this over the last two weeks or so.

Liking the new ones IPsouth, some nice colours there :-)

Can anyone tell me why one of mine has started shrinking up to about an inch?

It goes back to normal size eventually, but my others don't do this i'm just worried its getting sick or something?

It's only started doing this over the last two weeks or so.

Liking the new ones IPsouth, some nice colours there :-)

It might just be expelling gunk.

Nasty Canasta

Cheers sanchez, its a possibility, seems fine and healthy otherwise, just keeps on doing this amazing shrinking thing, odd i one ever see the one doing this, just wondered if others have seen their doing the same?

Cheers sanchez, its a possibility, seems fine and healthy otherwise, just keeps on doing this amazing shrinking thing, odd i one ever see the one doing this, just wondered if others have seen their doing the same?

Mine have never done it, but I had a BTA that shriveled up to look like a disgusting dead pile of mush at 6:00PM on the dot, every day, as long as i had it.

It would shrivel up, poop out it's waste, then in an hour or so it would be big and beautiful just like it was before.

I know this is common in the LTA/BTA world, but never heard of a maxi doing it. Technically, they're almost the same critter so I wouldn't doubt it.

Are these just like carpet nems only smaller?

According to an article I read in coral magazine ; no. Many people think they're related, but chances are until much further research is done on the anatomy; they are not.

According to an article I read in coral magazine ; no. Many people think they're related, but chances are until much further research is done on the anatomy; they are not.

So then do they sting? Eat live fish?

So then do they sting? Eat live fish?

They can sting and they may be capable of eating small or weak fish. That being said, the sting is not powerful, they can be kept in a mixed reef without much concern. Once they find a spot they like, they generally will not move again. As for eating fish, I have 6 maxi mini's in a 3 gallon pico with a yasha goby and pistol shrimp, 2 sexy shrimp, Ricordia, acans, feather duster, and I did have a number of Zoas, and nothing has ever had any problem with the nems.

I did have to remove the zoas because the sexy shrimp were eating the polyps. Now they are eating the acans. I think I will be taking the acans out as well and making this primarily a maxi mini garden with sexy shrimp, yasha goby and pistol shrimp, ricordia, and feather duster.

Hope that answers your questions.

• 1 month later...

Looks like I am out of the maxi-mini game. I recently upgraded my sump and the tank crashed. I lost almost everything including all 6 of my maxi-mini's.

Got a question for all you maxi mini keepers out there.

What acclimation methods do you guys use? Drip? Or just float and then release?

Thanks!

I float them, add about a cup of tank water to the bag, then take them out. Never had a problem. And I have good news!

The jerk-maxi that decided to run laps around the tank was up by the top of the water on the wall last night, so I scraped it off and put it back with all of the others on maxi-island. He took a 2 month long trip around the tank, from end to end, top to bottom. He seems happy again.