Mushrooms

CUC:

1 nerite snail

4 cerith snail

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
zenacupuncture

Nice tank, dstruong. I 've been in love with this tank for so long, but do not know how to mod the light. I am not the kind of DIY guy, but would not mind to learn if you can show me how. i would like to know where did you purchase those LED light to replace the halogen one? Is it just plug right in the existing socket? About the led strips, where did you buy it from? Did you glue it to the plastic that hold the halogen light? Does the LED strip just plug in or it need to wire or ballast? How often do you change the water and how much each time? Thanks so much for your time dstruong. i am new to sw but would love to have an amazing fluval edge SW like your in some day. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

This is my first post! I have done countless hours or research on this site and found it very helpful in helping me start my aquarium.This is my first salt water setup. I've had this tank for about 2 month. waited till it was cycled before adding and fish. I just got a small fragspawn coral yesterday that is doing well in this lighting. i plan on adding a 6 inch coralife 50/50 florescent bulb soon for additional lighting and maybe upgrading to mr-16 lights. Let me know what you guys think and any suggestions.

ammonia - 0

nitrite - 0

nitrate - 40

PH: 8.2

Temperature: 78° F

Water Parameters: sg 1.024

water changes: 1 gallon/wk

MOD:

koralia nano

MR11 10 LED lights (daytime lights) 12/hrs

2 15 blue LED strips ( moonlighting) 24/hrs

Fluval 25v heater

Stock:

8 LB Live Rock

10 LB Aragonite white sand

fish:

ocellaris clown

yellow clown goby

yellow tail damsel

CUC:

1 fire shrimp

2 red legged hermits

2 blue legged hermits

VIDEO

Nice tank, dstruong. I 've been in love with this tank for so long, but do not know how to mod the light. I am not the kind of DIY guy, but would not mind to learn if you can show me how. i would like to know where did you purchase those LED light to replace the halogen one? Is it just plug right in the existing socket? About the led strips, where did you buy it from? Did you glue it to the plastic that hold the halogen light? Does the LED strip just plug in or it need to wire or ballast? How often do you change the water and how much each time? Thanks so much for your time dstruong. i am new to sw but would love to have an amazing fluval edge SW like your in some day. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Thanks for the complements.

Link to the LED yes they are plug and play

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brightest-MR11-12-V-10...=item1e582cb173

Link to the blue strips comes with an adhesive on the back. i zipped tied it to the light for extra support.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Power Adapter

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=380167237642

I do regular water changes every 10 days @ 1 gallon premixed RO salt water from the LFS.

ill take new pictures when i get home from work.

Hey, great looking tank!!!

Could you take some pictures of your lighting mods? I'm really interested in the blue strip led's that you used. Are they strong enough to be noticed when your main daylights are on? In other words do the blue led's affect the perceived color temperature of the main lights?

I'm looking to add some more light under my hood but have VERY little space left to do it in :)

Hey, great looking tank!!!

Could you take some pictures of your lighting mods? I'm really interested in the blue strip led's that you used. Are they strong enough to be noticed when your main daylights are on? In other words do the blue led's affect the perceived color temperature of the main lights?

I'm looking to add some more light under my hood but have VERY little space left to do it in :)

the blue lights actually makes the overall lighting whiter when all my lights are on. Ill take comparison pictures when i get off work.

Lighting upgrade pictures Mr11 10 LED, 2x 15strip blue led, 1 6 inch 10w coralife 50/50.

post-52448-1272553713_thumb.jpg

post-52448-1272553730_thumb.jpg

post-52448-1272553727_thumb.jpg

post-52448-1272553733_thumb.jpg

Side Profile

BLUE LED

post-52448-1272553674_thumb.jpg

MR-11

post-52448-1272553689_thumb.jpg

Coralife 50/50

post-52448-1272553652_thumb.jpg

Front V iew

Blue LED

post-52448-1272553682_thumb.jpg

50/50

post-52448-1272553656_thumb.jpg

mr11

post-52448-1272553708_thumb.jpg

Blue led + mr11

post-52448-1272553696_thumb.jpg

Blue led + 50/50

post-52448-1272553677_thumb.jpg

50/50 + mr11

post-52448-1272553693_thumb.jpg

All 3

post-52448-1272553660_thumb.jpg

Taken with flash

post-52448-1272553685_thumb.jpg

Great comparison photos! thanks! Its really great to see how each lighting option effects the tank. To my eyes it doesn't look as though the blue LED's really alter the color when either the 50/50's are on or the MR11's. Is it just the photos, or can you see it in person?

Forgot to add. Even if they don't change the daylight color, I bet they make great moonlights! Have you ever had any waterproofing problems with them?

Also, do you have any problems with your Damsel picking on your Clown?

ihatesears18

2 damsels and a goby in a 6 gallon tank? If I were you I would take both damsels back and leave the clown goby. just my 2 cents

2 damsels and a goby in a 6 gallon tank? If I were you I would take both damsels back and leave the clown goby. just my 2 cents

my neighbor gave me these fish. He told when they get bigger that he will take them back. I know its a little over stocked right now, and everyone seems to be getting along

Great comparison photos! thanks! Its really great to see how each lighting option effects the tank. To my eyes it doesn't look as though the blue LED's really alter the color when either the 50/50's are on or the MR11's. Is it just the photos, or can you see it in person?

Forgot to add. Even if they don't change the daylight color, I bet they make great moonlights! Have you ever had any waterproofing problems with them?

Also, do you have any problems with your Damsel picking on your Clown?

it accually makes a big difference. The pictures do not really show the differences but i can see it. The mr-11 are a little yellow. The blue led turns makes the lighting super white. Ill see if a video makes a differences.

ihatesears18

have your nitrates come down yet? the 3 fish are probably the reason they were at 40ppm. I'm just giving you good advice. Free or not only 1 of those fish belongs in there (the goby).

Oh and I forgot to mention that you have a beautiful tank!

have your nitrates come down yet? the 3 fish are probably the reason they were at 40ppm. I'm just giving you good advice. Free or not only 1 of those fish belongs in there (the goby).

yea ill find a new home for the yellow tail. Thank You

I had the same MR-11 LED's that you have. . . it only took a few weeks before the salt exposure destroyed the light closest to the hang-on filter's outflow. Those LED's are oddly yellow as well.

I would highly recommend these LED's instead to anyone. It is what I currently have in my fluval and my corals have been loving it. Much higher light output. Brighter and pure white. Just be sure to get the 'cool' wide lens.

http://ledwaves.com./Illum-MR-11-LED-Light...ED-p-19620.html

I had the same MR-11 LED's that you have. . . it only took a few weeks before the salt exposure destroyed the light closest to the hang-on filter's outflow. Those LED's are oddly yellow as well.

I would highly recommend these LED's instead to anyone. It is what I currently have in my fluval and my corals have been loving it. Much higher light output. Brighter and pure white. Just be sure to get the 'cool' wide lens.

http://ledwaves.com./Illum-MR-11-LED-Light...ED-p-19620.html

I covered the lights with some plastic and zipped tied it to keep water out. if they ever blow out ill be getting the leds you have. Thanks

Nice job with the lights.

I really love the tank. I want to get one, but I have 5 tanks already. I think I need to dial it down a bit. :P

• 2 weeks later...

yes i gave back the yellow tail damsel to my neighbor. I did a water change last week and nitrates went down to 20 ppm.

Did one again this weekend and they are at 0.

I added a bunch of zoos and mushrooms over the past 2 weeks. They are doing great with my new lighting.

Ill post pics

BTW:

Happy Birthday to me!

drufornano

hello dstoung--i think your post single handily (great pics) have inspired me to get back into this god forsaken hobby. I like most started w/ a 30gl, upgraded to 100gal freshwater and ended with a 55 reef...then the long cooling period (simply got overwhelmed with the maintenance). I'm new to the Nano world and when I came across the Fluval Edge and the ingenuity found within, I made the leap last night! I purchased all the LED mods/clear acrylic caulking/zip ties at the ready. Just a foot note, Im going to attempt to install a moon light between the MR11's.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006JLMDY/ref=oss_product

Wish me luck and will post my progress, cheers-

Here is an updated video!

hello dstoung--i think your post single handily (great pics) have inspired me to get back into this god forsaken hobby. I like most started w/ a 30gl, upgraded to 100gal freshwater and ended with a 55 reef...then the long cooling period (simply got overwhelmed with the maintenance). I'm new to the Nano world and when I came across the Fluval Edge and the ingenuity found within, I made the leap last night! I purchased all the LED mods/clear acrylic caulking/zip ties at the ready. Just a foot note, Im going to attempt to install a moon light between the MR11's.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006JLMDY/ref=oss_product

Wish me luck and will post my progress, cheers-

Thanks for the comment! i just posted an updated video of my tank! ill follow your progress if you decide to start a thread!

drufornano
just ordered these!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=180500296804

post-52448-1274130266_thumb.jpg

they are coming from china so it will probably take a month to get here. I hope these things work out.

Cool--did you do a mod to fit these MR16--aren't these quite larger then the stock MR11 fitment? I got all the shipping notifications for my gear today! Got ants in my pants to start the "madness". I took my daughter to Petsmart to purchase ammonia test and Mag-float for her 15g FW and mine soon to be SW Edge--lol.

Cool--did you do a mod to fit these MR16--aren't these quite larger then the stock MR11 fitment? I got all the shipping notifications for my gear today! Got ants in my pants to start the "madness". I took my daughter to Petsmart to purchase ammonia test and Mag-float for her 15g FW and mine soon to be SW Edge--lol.

nice to see your on your way. I ordered a 6 pack of mr16 sockets from eBay. too bad i only need 2. i hope the mr-16 don't sit on the water since i do like to keep my water at the highest level. i will keep you guys updated!

inlight to the discovery that I had bought crap lights i went on a search to redeem myself. I found these.

15 led mr-16.

post-52448-1274892271_thumb.jpg

Cool White 6000-6500K

3 Watt Power Consumption = 35W equiv

Wide Angled Beam 120'

post-52448-1274892276.jpg

compared to my mr11

Color White (5500 to 6500K)

View Angle 140 Deg

Light output 160 Lumen

Consumption 2.1 Watt

Archived