Coral Vue Hydros

Dwarf angel selection

EchoReef

I was thinking of getting a dwarf angel for my BC29. If i'm correct, coral beauty amgels are the most reef safe ones, but I don't really want one...the two angels that interest me most are the flame angel and the bicolor angel. Would I be able to succesfully keep one of these in a tank with LPS, SPS, ans softies? And maybe a clam? I saw both of these fish at the lfs and i'm in love :wub:

Also which one qould look the best with a melanopus clown pair and a purple line psudochromis??

cheryl jordan

No angel is clam safe, especially in a smaller tank. They may not bite it ,but they pick at clams so much that the clam does not open fully. And they may be fine for a long time and then start their bad behaviour towards clams. Just my experience. I too like angels but in bigger tanks. Good luck with what ever you choose.

I think that if you stay with the 3 fish total you could get away space-wise with a centropyge angel (though still pushing it a little with the clown), but it really is a gamble on whether they will stay away from your corals. I think a bi-color will get too big for your tank. A coral beauty or flame would probably be okay, as would a cherub angel. Usually we buy these fish as juveniles and once they mature they tend to develop a taste for your corals. Some hobbyists think that they will just keep it well fed, but remember that all it takes is one taste ;-). I agree with Cheryl that it likely won't do well with a clam as it matures.

That being said watch it very very carefully at the store before purchasing it. They are hardy fish, so all that crap they had out in the wild will likely come out once it's stressed during acclimation! I consider a QT a must with all centropyge angelfish.

*edit* I need to learn to read... You already have a pair of A. melanopus, a sixline, and a pseudochromis? I would really consider your tank fully stocked at this point. Sorry :-p I was thinking you were going to only have the angel, 1 clown, and the pseudo.

Sorry I need to update my sig.

My six line is long gone and so are lots of corals. My psudochromis is tiny. The clowns aren't that big and won't get bigger. Ill fix that soon.

cheryl jordan

Love Cherub pigmy angels, but he was the biggest offender. Not only clams problems but picked on my firefish too. Little guy with alot of attitude.

post-40050-1271734336_thumb.jpg

Sorry I need to update my sig.

My six line is long gone and so are lots of corals. My psudochromis is tiny. The clowns aren't that big and won't get bigger. Ill fix that soon.

I don't understand... Your clown isn't that big and it won't get bigger? Your female should reach close to 5 inches when mature... That's a decent sized fish for a 29g AIO... Just do some research to make sure you don't get anything too big.

Really? He swims right alongside my dottyback. They are like best buds.

I'm pretty sure I saw them both at the bar the other day enjoying some Beers together... Hehe.

Who knows... sometimes these fish can be pretty aggressive (some of the smaller ones especially!) but as with most fish, it really depends on which one you get. You should plan accordingly.

I had a Pygmy Angel in my BioCube 14g with 2 clowns, coral, clam, anemone, zoas and never picked or messed with my fish. I got him when he was about 1-1.5" I have heard if you keep them well fed they wont pick a corals. BUT its a 50/50 chance.

Here are my observations with my African Flameback Angelfish. Centropyge acanthops

01random-2.jpg

1random-3.jpg

1angelfirejaw.jpg

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=168687

You pays your money and you takes your chances.

I have recently added a couple of LPS coral to my tank and so far the Angel has been the perfect gentleman\gentlewoman.

I see it nip at the Gorgaonian very rarely and it has not caused any problems.

I have not seen it nip at any SPS or Zoanthis or Ricordea.

I feed my tank very heavily daily and always keep an algae sheet in a clip for a snack.

I feel that keeping it well fed may have something to do with it not needing to nip at the coral for food.

It is a terror to my chalk bass. Chases the poor thing, but does not harm it.

My Bali Tiger Jawfish will do the mouth open wide gig to scare the angel off.

I have seen it get cleaned by my skunk cleaner shrimp.

I love this fish. Always cruising in and out of the rockwork, picking at the rocks for some algae and has some of the most beautiful coloring especially under the actinics.

All of that said, I will not hesitate removing this fish if it starts to harm my coral.

Click this and go to the first link that comes up.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=The+angel+thread+to+e...gel+threads%3A+

I had a Pygmy Angel in my BioCube 14g with 2 clowns, coral, clam, anemone, zoas and never picked or messed with my fish. I got him when he was about 1-1.5" I have heard if you keep them well fed they wont pick a corals. BUT its a 50/50 chance.

How long did you have it? Why don't you have it anymore?

Spanko, how long have you had it?

From what I understand juveniles are typically very good about not eating corals or nipping clam mantles. It's when the fish mature that they "turn to the dark side" and start sampling the corals in your tank.

spanko...... Thanks for the pics! I've been thinking about adding an African Flameback to my tank as well. I appreciate your observations as well. I like the idea it is an active swimmer and not something you will occassionally see.

How long did you have it? Why don't you have it anymore?

Spanko, how long have you had it?

From what I understand juveniles are typically very good about not eating corals or nipping clam mantles. It's when the fish mature that they "turn to the dark side" and start sampling the corals in your tank.

I still have it and had it for 6 moths

I know I might be pushing it but im going to get an angel. (sorry to be confusing ajmckay) I think It'll be ok because Ihave a really good custom protein skimmer and I do a 5 gallon waterchange every saturday. I'll take my chances. But if I had to pick between a flame or a bicolor angel, which would be better for a variety of corals??

Whichever you get, I would not purchase a bi-color angel. They are pretty much the largest of the centropyge genus at 6". They are also much more difficult to get a good specimen with, and it's harder to keep them long-term.

If you get the flame angel, be sure to observe it carefully in the store. If necessary put down a deposit and ask the store to hold it for a few days to a week (or more). You will have plenty of opportunities to buy one, be sure you get a good, healthy specimen to increase it's chances. I made this fatal error myself just a few weeks ago, won't happen again.

I have a flame back angel and love him. He does not bother any of my fish or corals. Great fish, always active, comes to glass when you are at the tank.

But if I had to pick between a flame or a bicolor angel, which would be better for a variety of corals??

There's a chance either will nip. The flame is probably least likely between the two. But again, a bicolor gets big. Just because it has dwarf in the name doesn't mean anything. A flame isn't exactly a small fish and they're active swimmers, I personally wouldn't keep one in anything less than 36" long. Your 20" wide tank is barely half of that...

Just something to think about.

The cherub or flameback would be good choices. But if your trying to decide between the flame and bicolor go for flame they won't get as big as the bi color. As for clams, it's a 50/50 chance but most important keep them fed. I have three flames in my tank. Planning on breeding them . As for clams they never picked at it once. But did somewhat harass an acan. But the acan is in anther tank just to be on the safe side. Main thing keep em fed and keep a fish in the tank that will help keep the flame's attention occupied. It will help keep the flames attention off the corals.

Ok it sounds like bicolor is too big so I'll probably go with the flame angel in a few weeks. I really have to update my sig...

I had a Flame angel in my BC29 w/ 2 percs and a purple firefish until the heater cooked him. For coral I have a torch, a frog spawn, various zoas, finger leather, paly's, candy canes, rics, GSP's and acans.The Flame didn't bother anything but my purple firefish. Terrorized it into hiding and I haven't seen it in 3 weeks. If you do decide to get an angel, make sure you offer algae sheets often and keep it well fed. Oh, and it was a very active and colorful fish too, so I would recommend a Flame angel. I'm thinking of getting another one. I will probably go Cherub this time though. The blue & yellow will add some color in the tank - too much orange in the tank with the perc twins. Good luck!

• 5 years later...
NewbietoNanos

I have a 14g biocube and am thinking about getting the cherub angel, I go back and forth though-it's a constant battle! My dad has had a flame angel for several years now and i have seen it lightly nip at his green striped mushrooms but never harm them. He feeds well though. He also has several other active fish in there so maybe that helps keep it occupied.

Simulated Fish

I have a 14g biocube and am thinking about getting the cherub angel, I go back and forth though-it's a constant battle! My dad has had a flame angel for several years now and i have seen it lightly nip at his green striped mushrooms but never harm them. He feeds well though. He also has several other active fish in there so maybe that helps keep it occupied.

Necromancer! This thread is almost 6 years old

Archived