inTank Media Baskets

Podrod's 90g Peace-O-Reef

PodRod

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Glad to see u back podrod..I Adore ur previous tank :happy:

I even make your photos as a desktop..

Thanks so much - it's nice to be back in the hobby again!

Looking forward to watching this tank. I loved your old tank. Nice equipment choices.

I really liked my old tank also but I ran out of room. It should take me awhile to fill this one up! I hope to have the tank sometime this coming week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Any tank progress?

I have all my equipment except two minor pieces - the tank and the lights :P . The tank should, hopefully fingerscrossed , be here this coming week. The lights are still on order and should be another two weeks before I get them. I can go ahead and start the cycling process without the lights, but the tank is kinda required. :lol:

It's getting kinda boring staring at a blank wall....

Glad to hear that the tank may be finally coming in this week... I bet you're more than a little excited :)

So which skimmer did you end up getting?

I still have the Octopus Extreme 160. I just can't go any larger on my sump so I'm limited on the skimmer footprint :unsure:

I just got word that my AI lights finally shipped! The rail kit and lights ship seperately but they are both on their way. My LFS said my tank should be here this week but no word yet. I'm going to start making water this weekend...

I'm no expert on larger skimmers, but considering how amazing your Solana was with just the small Tunze 9002, I think the Octopus Extreme 160 will be more than capable. Just my two cents though.

Sounds like the last couple of major parts are starting to come together. Hopefully the tank will come in this weekend fingerscrossed

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After months of waiting my tank is wet! I really like the way it turned out and I'll post pics tonight (going camera shopping today). The AI lights are awesome and I can't believe how great they look. The only, and I mean only, drawback to the lights are the spotlight effect. The spotlights are much more pronounced in pics than to the naked eye. I tried my husband's Sony Cybershot but couldn't get decent pics so I will use my Canon T1i or T2i later this evening.

The rocks I got from my lfs are amazing and was full of life. Unfortunately, I made a major mistake while filling the tank. I used a 1 cup measuring cup instead of 1/2 cup for my salt. It was the next day before I realized my mistake. Several clams that were on the lr died and , thankfully, two mantis shrimp. I hope there are no more mantis shrimp left.

I'm in the middle of the cycle process now. The ammonia has spiked and now going down. The nitrites are going up. No nitrates yet but that should be very soon. I can't wait to add my CUC and get this thing going!

More to come later this evening.

Got my camera and I'm still learning but here's a few shots that I took today. I'll get better once I learn how to use the features (or when Divecj comes over and gives me a lesson :) ).

As for the spotlight effect from the LEDs, I know, I know, I know. I plan on raising the legs on the rail kit but the spotlights are not as pronounced to the naked eye so it's not one of my "must do's" at the moment.

I'm getting ready to have a major outbreak of GHA. I can already see the hair algae sprouting up :angry: . Any suggestions from anyone on how to get in front of this problem? Don't forget, I'm right in the middle of the cycle process so there's no way around the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate at the moment....

FTS 1

FTSSmall.jpg

FTS 2

FTS2Small.jpg

Skimmer/Sump

CabinetleftSmall.jpg

ATO/Controls/External Pump

CabinetrightSmall.jpg

Skimmer Close Up

SkimmerSmall.jpg

Hitchhiker Clam - Have several of these

ClamSmall.jpg

Abby - she had to try out the new camera :D

AbbySmall.jpg

Nice setup!!

Well, you could try leaving the lights off til the cycle is over, and once the cycle is done put some Turbo Snails in there.

Also, make sure it's GHA and not Bryopsis.

Super Cute Pup too. ;)

I was wondering what was going on with the tank Karen. Really happy to see that it's all together and already cycling nicely. I'm actually getting ready to setup my rimless 17g over the next couple of days as well. Always fun and nerve-wracking setting up something new.

I really can't wait to see this bad boy in person and really can't wait to see what you do with it as far as fish and coral. Have you started thinking about your fish "wish list?"

By the way, those AI lights look absolutely amazing. I bet they offer tons of flexibility. Oh, and I don't mind the spotlight effect at all. Should look amazing highlighting some beautiful SPS colonies down the road.

-Adam

Nice setup!!

Well, you could try leaving the lights off til the cycle is over, and once the cycle is done put some Turbo Snails in there.

Also, make sure it's GHA and not Bryopsis.

Super Cute Pup too. ;)

Dearest Weetie - that is why I love you, because you are sooo smart. Yes, I do have some GHA, but I also have Bryopsis. I got the magnifying glass out after I read your post and sure enough, the green I'm seeing looks like small feathers. Also, the tank turned a lovely shade of brown today and nitrates finally spiked. I have two turbo snails in the tank now and they are extremely busy. I travel tomorrow but will do a water change on Thursday. I receive my clean up crew and some nice macro algae from John on Friday.

Thanks!

I was wondering what was going on with the tank Karen. Really happy to see that it's all together and already cycling nicely. I'm actually getting ready to setup my rimless 17g over the next couple of days as well. Always fun and nerve-wracking setting up something new.

I really can't wait to see this bad boy in person and really can't wait to see what you do with it as far as fish and coral. Have you started thinking about your fish "wish list?"

By the way, those AI lights look absolutely amazing. I bet they offer tons of flexibility. Oh, and I don't mind the spotlight effect at all. Should look amazing highlighting some beautiful SPS colonies down the road.

-Adam

Hey Adam - I haven't given a lot of thought to fish yet, but I'm open to suggestions. As for your 17g - what's the plans? I can't wait to hear. I plan on catching up on reading this week - I haven't been following my favorite threads in awhile so I'm very behind. Come on over anytime - I need your help with my new camera :) .

The tank is currently a nice shade of green and brown. Full of diatoms, GHA and Bryopsis. I forgot just how much fun the start up process is.... :angry:

Paleoreef103

Awesome build so far! I did think of something to help with the spotlight effect. Why not get 2 or 4 54W T5s? It would both make your light spectrum a lot more complete (a common complaint with LEDs) and help smooth out the spotlighting. Not sure why I'm making suggestions to a TOTM winner, so feel free to disregard me.

Awesome build so far! I did think of something to help with the spotlight effect. Why not get 2 or 4 54W T5s? It would both make your light spectrum a lot more complete (a common complaint with LEDs) and help smooth out the spotlighting. Not sure why I'm making suggestions to a TOTM winner, so feel free to disregard me.

That's actually a very good idea. I'll have to put some thought into how to conceal the T5s since the beauty of the AI lights is the clean and unobstructive profile. Thanks for the suggestions and the compliment!!!

I really like those lights. This tank has tons of potential. I can't wait to watch it mature!

Thanks so much and I can't wait either :)

Well, the tank if fully cycled and params are at zero. The CUC is doing their job. I got some really nice macro algae, snails, chitons, and limets from John at Reef Cleaners. I added a bicolor blenny yesterday to help with the bryopsis. He's currently hiding but I"m sure he'll come out soon.

It's time to start thinking about what fish I want. My thoughts are a yellow tang and I would like another if the size permits. Blue Powder perhaps? I'm getting my old yellow hogfish back from a friend and I would like a very colorful wrasse of some type. Suggestions anyone?

I was interested to see how corals will look under the led lights so I added a small frag of zoas and green/purple frogspawn. They look great and opened immediately. I have a new camera and macro lens so I"ll get some pics this weekend once I figure out how to use it. ;)

SPS must haves are: Cali Tort, Oregon Tort, Orange Setosa, Red Planet, Pink Lemonaid, Garf Bonsai. It will be awile before I add SPS so I'm just in the planning stage.

revaltion131

I love how clean the look of your build is, even the sump has a nice aesthetic to it. Figuring out how to work in T5's for actinics could work out really nicely but I totally agree with you that it's a difficult thing to integrate and keep the current look of the lights.

On the fish, I'd skip the PBT. They're one of the meaner ones by far and most people tend to recommend 180g+ just to house their personality, because they aren't really all the big. For a colorful wrasse, have you considered flashers, fairies, or leopards? I don't know what your vendor options are down in SC but around here we've been getting in some great specimens of the less popular species like cyanopleura, lubbocki, condei, etc and they're all around $40-$50.

Lyretail (? spelling) Anthias is an amazing looking fish! :)

Blue powder definetly B)

I've got the yellow tang and am considering the BPT but still up in the air. I have a small hippo right now that will stay with me for awhile until he gets a little larger. I had a pretty good outbreak of Bryopsis and my LFS recommended him (along with the yellow). They are making good progress and the Bryopsis is going away. I'll be taking him back to the LFS once he gets a little bigger and then will decide on what my second tang will be.

I have looked at the Anthias and agree - they are amazing!

I love how clean the look of your build is, even the sump has a nice aesthetic to it. Figuring out how to work in T5's for actinics could work out really nicely but I totally agree with you that it's a difficult thing to integrate and keep the current look of the lights.

On the fish, I'd skip the PBT. They're one of the meaner ones by far and most people tend to recommend 180g+ just to house their personality, because they aren't really all the big. For a colorful wrasse, have you considered flashers, fairies, or leopards? I don't know what your vendor options are down in SC but around here we've been getting in some great specimens of the less popular species like cyanopleura, lubbocki, condei, etc and they're all around $40-$50.

I've been researching wrasses over the last couple of days and you are hitting on several that I'm considering. There are so many beautiful wrasses so I'll probably go with two. Narrowing down the selection is tough! My LFS can get me what ever I want if he doesn't have it in stock.

As for the lights, I decided to keep them just as they are. I love the ability to adjust the white/blue independently and the spotlight effect is no longer an issue now that I"m accustomed to it.

Sounds like I need to plan a trip over to your house to check out the new beauty. Great fish selection so far. I agree with you, there are so many amazing wrasses that it will be hard to narrow it down. It's great that Chris @ Tideline decided to start using Quality Marine for his livestock. I asked him about some random goby the other day and he said he can get me on a list for them.

Meant to tell you, I have the following that you may want down the line ;) :Orange Setosa, Red Planet, Garf Bonsai

-Adam

Toby Flenderson

I love this thread so far. I am in the process of buying my first large tank (90) and you equiptment list is helping alot. Any more pics? sump pics? How are the LEDs working, User friendly?

Archived