Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

ADA 60-F

gabe_j

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

any idea what that those zoas i got are called? i love them but they were just zoas. at the lfs. nothing fancy. but they colored up pretty well and keep getting better over time.

i'd like to take this time to say goodbye to my first fish. belle the orange clown has gone carpet surfing for the last time. i found him dried up and crispy on my floor inches from the tank... damn it. i guess i'll be fabricating a top for my tank today. something to block the black clown from following in belle's "footsteps". man this sucks. i'll post some pics of my top later.

thanks hype, i wrote him an obit. its on my facebook, it suck losing the first one. espcially cuz he was good and healthy you know it's not like he was sickly or a water param. issue... so i did what any hobbist does and i got a new fish.....

its a mandarin. yes yes i know before the flaming comences do know that it is trained on frozen so don't trip i got him from my lfs the owners a really cool dude, and was training him over to frozen, i saw him eat so i know its the real deal. i'll post pics as soon as he makes himself more visible cuz he's kinda shy in a new tank and well i don't blame him its really bright i just added a gieseman actinic+ and i love the color i'll upgrade to the ati aquaspecial when i decide to drive across town (houston) to pick it up.

4641678437_754e907c70_o.jpg

just a funny pic my wife caught this morning sorry the quality isn't great it was from her phone. oh and the acan's from mr. coral are doing fine. i need to post some pics of them too.

chucktdbm321

i see that you went bare bottom. im thinking about doing it too, since i have to move my tank around with college and all and i figured it be for the best to not have any right now. Im guessing it is a ton easier to clean as well

yeah chuck its nice but it does get dirty fast you don't realize how much ditrius your LR make till you lose the sand to hide it all. lol. but i had an accident so i had to empty my tank asap to check for cracks with all my livestock in buckets. so i went sandless then. i didn't want to cause any spikes from stirring it up muchless than what was exposed to air for an unditermined amount of time. but if you are going BB do it a little at a time to let the tank make up for the loss of sand slowly. say a cup full or two a week till your done. i had to add about 3.5 lbs of cured fully cycled LR from a well established tank to keep up with the bio load. so that may be something you want to consider too. but cleaning is pretty easy i blast all my rock with a baster and aim my PH at the floor so it suspends everything and put a new bit of floss in the HOB to suck out as much as possible for me. then after its cleared up some i turn off all pumps and use the baster to blow everything left of the bottom into a corner and i siphon that out. i try and do it everyother day. but its usually 2x a week for and topping off my water after. along with a 1.5 gallon water change at the end of the week thats about it.

4663325896_8c00abbf9a_b.jpg

just an update of the top i made after my clown decided to make a jump for freedom. i used 1/8 thick acrylite and did the mill work on a full sized bridgport mill. the industrial kind it was kinda over kill but it what i had to work with lol. i'm starting to get some unwanted flex in the material so i may up the thickness to 3/8's jsut to make sure it doesn't flex at all.

731677150001md.jpg

731677350043md.jpg

047888186402md.jpg

There is also a corner connector made from vinyl that I cannot find a picture of but look like these metal ones.

022011603735md.jpg

And of course the 3/8" pond netting.

51rRtJ3mYqL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I used 3/8 inch and double layered it. I had it single layered but my first yellow Head Jawfish jumped right through it. So now instead of one layer of a 3/8 inch square opening in the net i have the two layers crossed so that the square is a box with a X in it. You can see what I mean in the picture.

01nettop.jpg

You can order 1/4" pond netting on line, however I did not only because I did not know if the fish would still be able to launch itself through the square hole. I was really surprised one day when my wife had my 2 year old granddaughter call me at work and tell me that the new jawfish was all dried up on the carpet!

all the supplies were from Lowe's except the pond net. They may even have that.

Don't have a full pic of mine but here is one another reefer made from the plans I gave him.

IMG_0193.jpg

If you have a square tank it will be much easier because we had to trim for the bow front of the 29 biocube.

nice man thats gotta look pretty cool installed. only reason i had to go the acrylic route was that i wanted it to almost disappear into the water i have my water level come up above the top so it hides it pretty well. look really close i have the top i made installed.only the center is cut out giving me room for air exchange.

Yup I see the cutout. Surprised you are seeing some bowing there with the well almost Euro Brace configuration. Yeah I guess 1/8 might not be the correct thickness. How is the top staying on there, got some kind of clips?

i really didn't expect to see any bowing at all only because acrylite is supposed to be where its at. but i'm thinking when i intentionally over filled the tank to hide the top some water got on top of the lid combined with the flow started sucking it down. for a few days it had kinda like a zero edge look to it. then it started going south. so i've taken a blow torch to it and relieved some of the stress to flatten it back down.

as far as clips i'm using some ADA clips. and i cut that to barely fit inside the tank i have mabe a 1/16th clearance all the way around if that.

Meengineer0128
i really didn't expect to see any bowing at all only because acrylite is supposed to be where its at. but i'm thinking when i intentionally over filled the tank to hide the top some water got on top of the lid combined with the flow started sucking it down. for a few days it had kinda like a zero edge look to it. then it started going south. so i've taken a blow torch to it and relieved some of the stress to flatten it back down.

as far as clips i'm using some ADA clips. and i cut that to barely fit inside the tank i have mabe a 1/16th clearance all the way around if that.

TIGHT!!!!!!

chucktdbm321

nice looking tank. I love the dimensions seems like a shallower 15 AGA. I see in your thread a FTS lets get some more.

thanks chuck i gotta get some more macros i had to get a new light, i'll let my wife know she'll go off and take like 1000 new pics lol

chucktdbm321

ha im in college now but when i get married my wife better like my tank lol.

What kind of light did you end up going with ?

i still got a 24w giesman actinic + and bs bulb from petco, its pretty eff'ing bright! i'll take some pics later after i acclimate my next batch of corals. my wife wasn't into it in the begining, not till after she saw it set up then she started falling in love with it. she won't maintain it but she'll stare at it for a while and then want me to order more corals (zoas) and such. but all in all i think she likes it.

its doing good i got a short video of him eating but its too big to upload from my phone, and my pc is being a douchebag. but he's down with frozen food i just keep putting food in the same place everytime i feed him. also turning off the pumps helps so its got time to check it out before it gets blown around the tank and everyone else eats it.

oh yeah and chuck it was some cheap wave point light. their "12k" bulb

Archived