Innovative Marine Aquariums

Coral? At Reefcleaners?!?

johnmaloney

johnmaloney

So we are going to get that new Invert section going on the site. Will have it launched by 8pm EST, but we wanted to give you a shot to just pm me if you wanted something so I can hold it. NR had to hear about a lot of this for awhile, and I figure you get first dibs. This is what we will have:

"Corals" - no they really aren't corals, but in the hobby they are:

Porous Sea Rods - whole and fragged. The frags will be loose, meaning you will have to glue them to a rock. Frags will be 1/3 the price and 1/3 the size, (so in a way it is "chop shopping", but really it isn't....I don't know...opinions welcome). The reason we decided to sell it this was it that porous sea rods are generally too tall for most nano tanks when collected, or too plain looking when short. By getting taller ones with good texture and features, we can then frag them down into interesting gorgs for your nano. When they reach the surface they grow wide instead of up. Frags will be generous in size.

$25 for a whole large Sea Rod, $8 large frag/nano gorg.

Binnate Sea Plumes - whole and small $2 frags. The frags here will be small, something for the beginner who wants to try their hand at keeping gorgs. Many of our customers come to us having only a short time in the hobby. Working with a small gorg frag and gluing it down we feel will be a good learning experience and confidence booster. Limit 1, good size for $2.

White Encrusting Zoanthids - can gel rocks together, good biotope piece but brown. $2 a square inch.

Button Polyps, Brown Palys - easy to keep, at $1 a polyp, but lots of free ones if you buy more. I just can't see anyone getting more than 1, and it is really just for the shipping/handling cost. With one you will have 4 in a few months, and then extra in another month... They grow really fast. Another good item I think for a beginner to learn with. These also come loose, and you have to put a dab of glue down, or strategically place them in a hole in the rockwork.. They adhere pretty quickly.

Other Inverts-

Micro-Porcelain Crabs - Cool for nanos and picos. They aren't colorful but you guys will like them $3 a piece

Giant Marine Hermits - not for NR really, but who knows some of you may want one for your son/daughter's touch tank or something. $25 a piece (shipping weight)

Some oddballs we wont have often - rough box crab, pistol shrimp, an unidentified oddball shrimp that I have had for two months or so now and still can't id. $7 a piece for these guys.

What do you guys think about the way we are selling the gorgs? chop shopping? if comparing it to another person's business practice please do not use their name. I don't need that kind of trouble. :)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The gorgs I've gotten were "chopped shopped" to say. They were not mounted but did well. John I wouldn't mount them. I would just ship them the way you have the sizes listed.

I think it's a good idea chopping them up into smaller pieces. I have a ~5g shallow NPS tank and I would like to put a gorg or two in there but most that I see are pretty large and tall. So I may pick some of these up. I wish they were up before I put my recent order in but it's okay. I can't wait to see how they look.

johnmaloney

That is always the way isn't it? Okay cool. I just didn't want people thinking I am taking something that is like $20 whole, and cutting it down into 10 $5 pieces. But I didn't want to misrepresent them as small gorgs, when really they are large frags. Opinions still welcome...

I'd be interested in the porcelin crabs and the oddball shrimp.

Do you mind sending me a pic of the shrimp? I may be able to help you id it. :)

johnmaloney

maybe it got spam blocked. That has happened to me recently. Yep I can get the vines, just buy a mangrove pack and put in "sub mangroves". I haven't taken any trips to the marsh though, and I don't really have any free time to take a trip, not this week at least.

johnmaloney

1. Pics? - soon, i am about done with some things I have to get out of the way first.

2. Overnight or Priority shipping? yep

3. When can I order? today

4. Thanks! your welcome

:)

johnmaloney

sorry guys, had to buy a new camera. Bare with me it takes me forever to get pics, but I have these two that need ids:

weird shrimp (maybe a northern range? I found him during the freeze)

Alien_Shrimp__4baeabf7e2297.jpg

one of the many small nems I am into the last week or so (not for sale, just my general curiosity symbiotic with the giant marine hermit shell it is living on?):

nem1.JPG

:o

sorry guys, had to buy a new camera. Bare with me it takes me forever to get pics, but I have these two that need ids:

weird shrimp (maybe a northern range? I found him during the freeze)

Alien_Shrimp__4baeabf7e2297.jpg

one of the many small nems I am into the last week or so:

nem1.JPG

johnmaloney

Alien Shrimp id'ed as a Rock Shrimp, Sicyonia sp. from another hobbyist, we couldn't get it. I would credit by posting their name, by I haven't asked for their screen name yet. Duke University had it posted by genus only, the species might not have been described yet...so I thought that was cool and wanted to share that info...

johnmaloney

The guy who helped me knew a ton of stuff about shrimp, he was able to get me this email:

"After 2 more minutes of searching, after sending that last email, I stumbled upon an identical shrimp to your Alien Shrimp. The shrimp is labeled as a Sicyonia sp. by Duke University. Even they were not able to pinpoint a specific species.

Here are the links to the photos of the shrimp.

* http://www.flickr.com/photos/t-j-d/4236689...57600002657722/

* http://www.flickr.com/photos/t-j-d/4236698...57600002657722/

* http://www.flickr.com/photos/t-j-d/4236695...57600002657722/

* http://www.flickr.com/photos/t-j-d/4236692...57600002657722/

Thanks,

[Name Left Out]

I am pretty comfortable with that ID for shrimp biology purposes, but I don't know if this has a trade name.

one of the many small nems I am into the last week or so (not for sale, just my general curiosity symbiotic with the giant marine hermit shell it is living on?):

nem1.JPG

Tricolor Anemone Calliactis tricolor?

Here's some info about it: http://www.whitney.ufl.edu/species/tri-colo.htm

Recognition characteristics

* Two siphonoglyphs

* Acontia present

* Commonly attached to shells containing hermit crabs

* Tan-brown colored, commonly with several darker longitudinal stripes

* Tentacles "barred" with "mouth" opening violet colored

Yep definitley a rock shrimp. I used to volunteer with a marine/aquaculturist who was in charge of finding better breeding habits so they could be aquacultured for local resturants lol. I had to feed them every few days in this large plastic tub which had about 40 or so shrimp. Great eating though lol. They don't call them rock shrimp for nothing, those shells are hard as can be when trying to remove. Anyway if I find out what that nem is I'll post.

I already have it. Peterson's? National Audubon's Atlantic Seashore books are good too....if you use them. :)

I will have to check it out.

I like the new inverts on the site, any plans to start selling ricordea, mushrooms or anemones?

There are a lot of different Caribbean anemones, but I only ever see the Rock Anemones, Condylactis and Curliques for sale.

johnmaloney

maybe....I think it needs to be on a different site though. (Not this year either, already got a project...). I don't know...bad things happen when you are the "little bit of everything guy"...got to keep myself focused. :) I will just put up a few items every now and then. I would like to feature some different gorgs throughout the summer. Mostly things other people don't always sell, or are good for beginners.

indigo hamlets are cool.

indigo hamlets are cool.

The indigo hamlet pic was actually taken while diving in Grand Cayman. Unfortunately I don't have one in a tank... maybe I should look into that.

Archived