ReefCleaners.org

Green clove/glove polyp closing?

Dani3d

Hi,

I have a colony of clove polyp and each few days it seem that one more polyp is not opening. I also have 2 other variety of glove polyp and they are doing well and all are opening.

So I am wondering if I should use a lugol dip for them? anything else I can do and when a polyp does not open for a week or more should I consider it dead and cut it off?

They are green glove polyp or green clove polyp, quite large. When I fist got it about a week ago they were practicaly all open and only one or 2 were not open and now it seem that about 6 to 8 are not opening.

My water is great:

ammonia, nitrites and nitrastes: 0

Salinity: 1.025

Ph: 8.3

Calcium 400, magnesium: 1420

Kh at 8

No algae problem, nothing out of the ordinary. Alveopora doing well, as much as my flame scallop, sponge and feather duster, hot pink ricordea...all doing well except the clove polyp.

Is clove polyp sensitive? what to do if some close and won't open back?

just gentle flow, nothing harsh. They were open fine, most of them, when I first got them but it seem now they are opening less.

I have 3 variety...the golden tip doing well, palm type with very feathery polyps doing well and it's the regular green that is doing this.

They all have about the same type of flow.

How much flow are they getting? Those large palm polyps don't like low flow at all, they need moderate flow at least.

That kind generally comes from areas that get hit with more flow than others, I'd try putting them somewhere with a bit more water movement and seeing how that goes.

I did a 15% water change and they seemed better after that, more have opened today.

I will do another one in a few days. I had no nitrates or phosphates or anything else mesurable..so not sure why they did this. Can only think of trace element somewhere.

That kind generally comes from areas that get hit with more flow than others, I'd try putting them somewhere with a bit more water movement and seeing how that goes.

Archived