Cultivated Reef

ReefCleaners: Filter Feeder Formula

Deleted User 6

you're using your pump to regulate temperature? might want to get a heater and fix that, lol.

I'm pretty sure he means that the water that is heated by the heater is not circulated to the DT therefore the temperature in the sump may be constant but the DT temp can drop. It happens to me too with my heater in chamber one of my Biocube.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Militant Jurist
you're using your pump to regulate temperature? might want to get a heater and fix that, lol.

I'm pretty sure he means that the water that is heated by the heater is not circulated to the DT therefore the temperature in the sump may be constant but the DT temp can drop. It happens to me too with my heater in chamber one of my Biocube.

Yup, that's what I meant.

i don't know what micron sock you're using. i would treat it no different than your other food, though.

Me neither anymore. :unsure: I guess I'll continue to feed as usual. Target feeding should help too.

Deleted User 6

Just kill your pump for 10 min. or so and that should be plenty. You have the MP blowing the food around the tank, right?

I fed this yesterday for the first time. Did a small pinch.

Is there any special way you are supposed to feed this? It all just sat on the surface of the water. I let it sit for about 20-30 minutes before I turned the pumps back on. Does it eventually just sink?

Deleted User 6

I use a small bowl and stir it with some tank water/ let it sit for a few minutes before feeding. It's dehydrated, so you need to let it hydrate a bit or it's just going to float.

I use a small bowl and stir it with some tank water/ let it sit for a few minutes before feeding. It's dehydrated, so you need to let it hydrate a bit or it's just going to float.

Thanks DH, I will try that today.

yeah i put a pinch in a small glass, then mix with some tank water and feed with turkey baster toward corals and everywhere willy-nilly ! seriously, my chaeto is about to overflow out of my fuge.

clean out the baster also, as the dry chunks can get stuck

Deleted User 6

Not to discount your chaeto growth, but I don't think the filter mix has anything in it that the chaeto would use. What may be happening is excess food is breaking down into nitrate and/or phosphate (not sure if there's any in the food) and the chaeto is using those excess nutrients to grow. It could be a sign that you're feeding too much, unless you aren't noticing any bad algae growth.

Maybe I'm wrong though.

• 2 months later...
johnmaloney

any and all foods, including ours, have the ability to put nitrates and phosphates into the tank. waste is broken down etc... into nitrates, and as fish consume food for energy phosphates are introduced to the system.

Deleted User 6
dhaut do you use a skimmer? if so what kind?

I don't - I did have an AquaC Remora going but never got good skimmate so I removed it. I never ran it while using this product.

• 1 month later...

yea i just got me one about 3 weeks ago and yeah my corals loves it..i let it sit in small glass bowl i also added very little frozen food in it too.

JAKE

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought some foe my 10g. I'm sure it says it on the packaging, but just curious how much and how often should I feed? I also assume I should just feed at nights like I do when I feed my chalices and frogspawn on a weekly basis or is this an every day thing?

• 2 weeks later...

depends on the species, but i wouldnt feed corals every day. feed very sparingly in a 10 through a pipette once or twice a week is what i would do for most species that are photosynthetic and feeding is a supplement. Non-photosynthetic corals/gorgs etc... are a different story, so it depends on the species

Deleted User 6

Update:

AOGs (that's just the front of the rock - there's about twice that out of the pic)

970624382_pnJby-L.jpg

The gorg got beat up in a move, but it's almost fully re-encrusted its skeleton.

970627709_SPjpf-L.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
danthenewreefman

this stuff is GREAT!

it says the package weights 2oz net weight...we'll I just weighted it and it is a few grams short of 4oz!!!

looks like you get food, snails...ANYTHING at reefcleaners you order, expect double!

love themmmmmmmm!

and after one feeding I can say:

I've NEVER seen the favia feeder tentacles so THICK! usually they're very thin and long, with this food they're like 5x thicker and it tappers down towards the end of the feeder tentacle.

weird, but I'm sure it's weird in a positive way!

danthenewreefman
this stuff is GREAT!

it says the package weights 2oz net weight...we'll I just weighted it and it is a few grams short of 4oz!!!

looks like you get food, snails...ANYTHING at reefcleaners you order, expect double!

love themmmmmmmm!

and after one feeding I can say:

I've NEVER seen the favia feeder tentacles so THICK! usually they're very thin and long, with this food they're like 5x thicker and it tappers down towards the end of the feeder tentacle.

weird, but I'm sure it's weird in a positive way!

after 3 feedings....my GPE palys are more BLUE than green lol! Gives them like an "iced" look on the edges near the skirt.

zoanthids are def eating this stuff too.

hammer coral even shows strong feeding response, normally it doesn't like eating anything. I have baby hammer heads popping up from the base of adult heads...the baby heads even eat the stuff!

I can't wait to see what this stuff does to my tank after a month of use!

Sent out Monday, got here Wednesday. John is a really cool guy to deal with, he answered all my questions and has been really helpful. Awesome service! My tank really loves this stuff, I mix it with mysis, even in full daylight my "nocturnal" corals like candy canes put out their feeders...

out of stock at the moment unfortunately. turn around time is also slow... takes the producer a good amount of time to get the fresh supply and the freeze drying process etc...only the labels go quick lol...sorry guys we had a spike and everything (plus about 6) was purchased last week.

Archived