Coral Vue Hydros

ReefCleaners: Filter Feeder Formula

Deleted User 6

Deleted User 6

I recently placed and order with John at Reefcleaners for his new freeze-dried filter feeder food. I wanted to give the tank a few months on the food before posting a review, but the results were so dramatic that I didn't need near that much time.

After a little over a month on the food I've noticed the following:

1. Better SPS polyp extension and growth

2. Better zoanthid growth. My AOG zoas did not grow for 6 months (not one new polyp). They've sprouted 3 in the past month. My other zoas have produced similar results. I've made no changes except for adding this food.

3. Better gorgonian polyp extension and growth. My purple gorgs have encrusted over the super glue base, sprouted new limbs, and tripled the PE they had when first in the tank.

4. Sponge growth - I have a number of sponges in the tank and all are growing, with a new variety of sponges sprouting out of my sealifeinc rock.

My results with this food have proven to me that it not only works, but for the price, it's unbeatable. Thanks John for offering another great product at an affordable price. I will update this thread again after a few more months, but I have no doubt that I will continue to see positive results.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice results considering it’s only been a month

I just placed an order from a nano-reefer for some phytoplankton and am anxious to see the same results. How much do you feed the tank ??

johnmaloney

The astaxanthin will probably begin to oxidize though at some point from the seal wearing out, or someone leaving it open etc...depends on use. The food wont be bad, but would lose some value at that point.

johnmaloney

oh yeah that is right. Those small bottles have built in seals I think, so that is good. I would use the astaxanthin to gut load live foods. I have been doing that with these small shrimp they call daggerblade shrimp, and then feeding those shrimp to the seahorse. It is starting to fatten up, probably just from being fed finally, but what else am I going to do with food right? I bet you could feed it to brine.

johnmaloney

yeah that is the guy, but there are some others i lump into that. one looks like a stick, very narrow, with an arrow like head. forget the species now. reminds me i have to go collect more today, that seahorse eats better than I do.

johnmaloney

yeah it is whole krill, pretty big. Freeze dried krill kind of needs to be crumbled as you rehydrate it, otherwise it takes too long. The company who we get the krill from does a good job of keeping the exoskeletons intact. Which is good for nutrition purposes, but that exoskeleton makes rehydrating hard, because it keeps water out. By cracking it a little it allows water in. It isnt a shell you can see or anything, just the outer layer if you want to call it that. Nothing that exciting about the Krill though, the Herbivore Flakes are something I really came to like. That is another "recipe" item, that works really well for damsels and gobies as well as the fish we normally consider to be herbivores.

johnmaloney
gobies are herbivores?

some are omnivores, and it is good to mixup their diet. Engineer gobies go nuts for the herbivore flake mix. I meant blennies though, I feed it to my seaweed blenny and molly millers

• 3 weeks later...

I know its been a while on this thread... but I just wanted to say that I got some of this filter feeder formula from John and its an incredible mix. Much easier to use than fresh food, easy to feed small amounts. Great variety of food sizes, from large chunks the fish and shrimp go crazy for, to micro stuff I know the zoas and kenya tree are feeding on. I feed a pinch to my DT at the end of the day, and have noticed that nutrients must be tiny enough to make it through the pump into my fuge, as the macro (chaeto and money plant) have taken off immediately after feeding this stuff for a few days.

Militant Jurist

Is this stuff something that is fine to run through a sump? I've got a filter sock, so I feed fish food with the return pump shut off. However, I don't like to leave the pump off for too long, because the tank temp seems to drop quickly.

Deleted User 6

you're using your pump to regulate temperature? might want to get a heater and fix that, lol.

i don't know what micron sock you're using. i would treat it no different than your other food, though.

Archived