Pod Your Reef

MJ's 75 Gallons of Schnozberries

Militant Jurist

Militant Jurist
What da :o

You sneakin' threads by me Mister :lol:

omgomgomg

People always do underestimate my sneakiness! B)

I'm glad you found it though! What do you think of the stocking plan so far?

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Militant Jurist

I'm a bit nervous now. I posted this in the equipment forum, but obviously, I want as many opinions as possible.

Here's a photo of the tank I just got today.

100_1345-1.jpg

It's a small area (about 2" long by 1/2" to 3/4" high), and the cracks all appear to be external. When running my finger over the area, it was smooth to the touch, with nothing reaching to the inside of the tank.

Should I be worried? I'm going to put some water in the tank before going to bed (just a little bit) as a leak test. Or should I do something else?

If they don't go all the way through to the other side, it may just be scratches that you have there. I have a couple large ones on my tank and haven't had an issue, other than algae growing in them. You can always put some silicone over them to help or there is that filler stuff I forget the name of it.

I like your stocking plans as well.

Should I be worried? I'm going to put some water in the tank before going to bed (just a little bit) as a leak test. Or should I do something else?

If that is not the painted side I would be worried. If it is the painted side it might just be the paint.

Are you sure you want that infront of a window? I have no help with the scratches sorry. I do like the stocking list

Militant Jurist

Thanks for all the input so far. The thing that has me scratching my head is that I'm not sure how long it has been there. If it's been there for a while, it's probably not as big of a deal, because the guy I got it from had recently been using it as a FW tank, and it held water. On the other hand, there is a chance it could have happened today, during the move.

Is fixing it a realistic option?

Militant Jurist

John at Reef Cleaners gave me some great advice (as usual!) I'm going to call around to see if I can find a glass shop that can replace the pane of glass for me. Apparently, some of them don't think it's a big deal, and are happy to do it, for a decent price.

In the mean time, once the rock gets here, I think I'll cycle it in my 32g brute. That way, no time is lost on the tank down time.

Militant Jurist

I peeled back the trim, and tried to see if maybe I'd be lucky and the cracks would just be an artifact in the silicon. Of course, I should have known better: my luck is awful.

Well, I had posted about my problem on the local club forum, hoping someone might have a suggestion to fix the problem. And indeed they did, although it was more of an alternative. It turns out that one of the LFS (not Phishy's) is having a tank sale: $1 per gallon. I just called a bit ago, and they do indeed have a 75 available for $75. I thanked the person for the suggestion, but it still didn't solve the other problem when it came to the idea of a replacement tank: I have no way of transporting it, and no one to help me move it.

Then, the reef club came to the rescue again. One of the members who lives not too far from this LFS has volunteered to help me get the tank home. Strangely enough, it's the same person to whom I sold my Taam Rio nano filter/skimmer. Small world, eh? Now I'm just waiting to hear back what day and time works for him. It looks like this major headache (figuratively and literally) may soon be over.

Militant Jurist
Cool Beans

Indeed! You can tell that things are meant to be when they work out like this. I guess I'm just glad that I was giving the tank a thorough cleaning and happened to notice the cracks.

Militant Jurist

Does this change things:

Old picture:

100_1346.jpg

New picture, after razor blade treatment:

100_1351.jpg

Is this safe to use after all?

Militant Jurist
i'm gonna go with dried/cracked glue between glass and rim

Yup, me too. Should I be worried that this thing has apparently come off before? Or that part of the plastic is broken?

Militant Jurist
nah, that plastic doesn't do much for the tank anyways. how old is the tank again?

Ok good. I'm probably going to build a wooden trim for the tank anyways, something to match the canopy I'll need to build.

As far as age, I really can't say for sure. It sounds like the guy I got it from used it for at least a year or so.

How does a 20 gallon leak test for tonight sound? I'll put down lots of towels.

For peace of mind I would take a razor blade in between the glass and plastic and see if that is indeed dried silicone or such. To me first picture does look like dried something there. The second picture resembles stress cracks like the tank was moved with sand and or water in it an may have twisted.

Militant Jurist

Spanko, are you talking about the marks higher up? Cause those are my fault, being sloppy with the razor blade. It's just scratches in the black paint.

As for the lower part, I got rid of some of it, but since I didn't want to completely rip off the plastic, I was forced to leave the part on the left in place. I could pinch the razor blade in place, and when looking from the inside of the tank, I couldn't see any cracks. I'm pretty sure it's just a really bad hot glue job.

So far, the tank is holding water steady. It hasn't deviated even a bit from the mark I made on the glass.

Militant Jurist
I just stick the tank in the garage and fill it up. If it doesnt leak in 24 hours I feel safe :happy: .

I wish I could do something like that. My garage, and basement for that matter, floors are in rough shape. It's one of the reasons I'm planning on tearing down the garage and building a new one. Plus, there is the fact that it takes 2 people to move the tank, and I'm only one. My brother won't be in town again for a month, my best friend lives in PA right now, and the vet chick probably couldn't help (that, and we don't spend all that much time at my place). This morning, it had been 18 hours with a 1/3 water load, and all was well. There had been no drop in water level. I'm going to make up some more water tonight, and add another 1/3. 24 hours after that, I'll add the last third, and give it 24 to 48 hours. After playing around with it yesterday, I'm rather confident that there are no cracks in the tank, at least not in the area I once thought there were cracks. Talk about a crazy appearance of adhesive.

Archived