Top Shelf Aquatics

MJ's 75 Gallons of Schnozberries

Militant Jurist

Aww man! sorry to hear MJ :(

at least u were home...big tanks can def cause a bigger mess if something goes wrong.

$1 gallon at Petco u say...hmmm :ninja: :fades into the background and jumps in her truck:

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's too bad the fairy wrasse didn't make it. It was quite gorgeous.

Jack's aquarium occasionally has $1 per gallon aquariums.. and Aquarium Adventure as well.

Someone is selling their 250g Starphire tank/stand/canopy (really nice looking.. deep dimension too) for $900 locally. I think it's 5ft in length so your lights would still work on it (staggered) :)

Someone is selling their 250g Starphire tank/stand/canopy (really nice looking.. deep dimension too) for $900 locally. I think it's 5ft in length so your lights would still work on it (staggered) :)

omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg

johnmaloney

that sucks...i remember you even saying something about the tank's integrity, another weak spot showed up then huh? Damn that sucks....I spilled 30 gallons before...it was a HUGE mess, couldn't even imagine all that in a house...Glad to hear it was all saved, but next time make your first trip is to the circuit breaker! :) That was a risky move going to the tank with the surge protector giving off smoke.

That Sallie Mae bill is a beast isn't it? I spend a reef tank on it each month myself...only 20 more years though. :)

No dollar a gallon in NY booooo they said in Oct. Sure I drive all the way to petco yesterday for nothing LOL OK I did get puppy food for my monster of a pup Giggle

Militant Jurist
that sucks...i remember you even saying something about the tank's integrity, another weak spot showed up then huh? Damn that sucks....I spilled 30 gallons before...it was a HUGE mess, couldn't even imagine all that in a house...Glad to hear it was all saved, but next time make your first trip is to the circuit breaker! :) That was a risky move going to the tank with the surge protector giving off smoke.

Well, I'm still fairly sure that it was just a bad hot glue job, where someone tried to patch up the trim around the tank. From my best guess, the silicone seal failed somewhere, since I haven't found a crack anywhere I can see. Thankfully, I'd say that maybe 10 or so gallons are all the more that escaped. That's how slow the leak was, and how fast I caught it and reacted. The vast majority of the 75s ended up in buckets or rubbermaid totes. In addition to the slow leak, after I discovered it, I put towels down around the tank, and packed against the suspected leak areas, so that helped too.

My first thought was to go to the circuit breaker, but two things complicated that. First, I would have had to walked through the water on the floor to get to the basement stairs, which would have been bad if current was passing through the water. Second, since I have hardwood floors and it wasn't the best construction, most of the water dripped down to the basement, instead of flooding the first floor. That means that to get to the breaker box, I would have had to go through water pouring from the ceiling. If current had been passing through the water, that too could have been bad (not to mention being near water while messing with a breaker. As weird as it may sound, I felt safer just yanking the cord, since at least then I was still dry.

That Sallie Mae bill is a beast isn't it? I spend a reef tank on it each month myself...only 20 more years though. :)

:lol: Yeah it is! The upside for me is that the bill itself (excluding utilities) is slightly less than my rent payment from when I had a small townhouse. I only have 28 more years, unless I work toward paying it off earlier. ;)

The real bear was going to be the law school loan repayment, but thankfully I work for a non-profit organization, which means I get some fantastic treatment when it comes to loan repayment. Approximately 10% of what I make for 10 years, and then it all goes away. Sure makes up for my pretty low salary.

No dollar a gallon in NY booooo they said in Oct. Sure I drive all the way to petco yesterday for nothing LOL OK I did get puppy food for my monster of a pup Giggle

That sucks! I don't think I've ever seen a legit $1 per gallon sale here in Columbus. Here's an example of how nasty promotions are here in Ohio: I got a notice from my bank saying that debit card use as a VISA card for the month would get 10% cash back rebate for the month. Of course, there was a little footnote following that claim: Rebate capped at $10.

-_-

Deleted User 6

DAMMIT THE BASTARDS!

Needreefunds

:tears: Sorry Tyler

I keep reading bad news catching up on threads this evening.

I think I'll log off...kinda askeered to keep this up.

This stinks my friend. Good to hear most was saved.

Militant Jurist
:tears: Sorry Tyler

I keep reading bad news catching up on threads this evening.

I think I'll log off...kinda askeered to keep this up.

This stinks my friend. Good to hear most was saved.

Thanks Richie. Yeah, it seems like it's been a lot of bad news lately.

Well, I removed the sand last night (gave it to a local reefer). Guess what: not a single crack. It looks like it was purely a seal failure. I was talking with the guy getting the sand, and he had been told that a tank's seal lasted for an average of 10 years or so. After looking over my tank, we could see several places where the seal looked discolored, and based on the glass type, the look of the seals, and the fact that so much plastic was used in the trim, we figured that the tank was probably around that 10 year mark. I guess that teaches me to never buy a used tank again. :scarry:

It's also a great excuse/rationalization for tank upgrades. ;)

that a tank's seal lasted for an average of 10 years or so.

This is most of why I decided I wanted to upgrade from my old 125. It was well past 10 years and I'd rather buy a new tank than reseal 24+ feet of silicone.

Militant Jurist
Or a reseal job?

Well, there's that too. But by the time you've torn it down, dried it, resealed it, cured it, and leak tested it, you'd have needed a place to put your livestock anyways, so why not just upgrade? Plus, I don't think I'd trust my own seal-work on a large tank. :mellow:

This is most of why I decided I wanted to upgrade from my old 125. It was well past 10 years and I'd rather buy a new tank than reseal 24+ feet of silicone.

Very true! That's a lot of sealing to do. And a lot of opportunities for a mistake.

Militant Jurist
So what is the "upgrade" you speak of?

For me, nothing... at least not for some time. I bought the 29 brand new in 2007, so I have quite a few years before an upgrade is needed. After the 75 debacle, and the fact that I need to do some work on my house, an upgrade is off in the horizon somewhere.

Militant Jurist
The 75 was just a whim, did not work out, now just sit back with what you have?

That's the plan. The 75 was the attempt to fulfill my long-held desire to have a large tank. But I suppose that I'll stick with nanos until I can keep a really large tank. ;)

• 2 months later...

Archived