Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

MJ's 75 Gallons of Schnozberries

Militant Jurist

Good old DHaut was drinking wiskey and rye

Singing this will be the day that ...................

Sorry about the trouble though. Hope the rest of the day finds you in better spirits.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Militant Jurist
Good old DHaut was drinking wiskey and rye

Singing this will be the day that ...................

;)

Sorry about the trouble though. Hope the rest of the day finds you in better spirits.

Thanks Henry. Yeah, this kind of crapped on my whole weekend. Thankfully, I was home to minimize the leaking and soak up the water that had already escaped. My basement is a bit wet, but that's what dehumidifiers are for. All of the livestock (minus some snails) have been rescued, so I guess that's the important thing. That, and I was there to stop the potential electrical fire.

Wow stinky. That is horrible. But don't let that make you give up on a large tank. Fix it and start again!!! I have problems with mine also but faught threw them Going to battle my algae tomorrow. taking all the rock out to clean it off then starting over If at first you don't succeed try try again happy you caught it all in time before a fire ya know

Militant Jurist
Wow stinky. That is horrible. But don't let that make you give up on a large tank. Fix it and start again!!! I have problems with mine also but faught threw them Going to battle my algae tomorrow. taking all the rock out to clean it off then starting over If at first you don't succeed try try again happy you caught it all in time before a fire ya know

Thanks. I'm not giving up on a large tank; I'm just giving up on having one right now. With all of my profession-related expenses and my upcoming vacation, money is very tight right now. When I do a large tank again, I want to do it right. That means putting a proper GFCI in for the tank, and buying a new aquarium, rather than used. After all of the issues I've had with this tank, I don't think I'd ever be able to trust it again, and especially not when I leave for vacation. I'll probably scrap the tank, but I'll keep the stand and the totes. I'm going to move the totes back to the 20g. I think I'll just focus on the 29g a bit more, to really get it growing coral fast. I'd been neglecting it a bit in favor of the 75's upkeep. The only thing that I'll probably sell is the MP40. It's barely used, and it's probably going to be a year or so before I even attempt a large tank again. I'd imagine I could get an MP40 at that time for less than what I'd be able to sell the MP40 for now. I may keep the rocks alive by keeping them in a brute trash can with some kind of pump and heater.

Militant Jurist
whoa holmes. glad you have some quick reflexes.

Me too! I guess it's a good thing that I don't sleep in, even when I close a bar. ;) I was a bit groggy at first, but the adrenaline got me going fast.

so, now you wanna start a 40b with me?

:mellow: I'm not sure bout that. If one fell into my lap, I'd give it some thought. But for now, I think I'm going to stick with my 20L as a QT and frag tank, and the 29 as my display.

Militant Jurist
yeah...i'm fighting in my mind b/t the 29 and the 40 still. I just really like the dimensions of that 40b.

The 40b is nice, but for a display, I like the 29. Makes the tank seem bigger than what it is.

Deleted User 6

I've always like the landscape look - and if i get one i'll probably do the reef wall on one side flowing into the sandy field at the base look.

but i was this close to getting a stand for a 29 yesterday though. this close.

Ouch!!! :o

SOOOO glad you were there when it happened and damage was minimal as a result.

Whew!

I'm sure the WL crew will be happy to chime in on helping you figure out where to go from here if you need it.

LMK if you need anything. :grouphug:

Deleted User 6

I like the idea of focusing on the 29. A house divided and all that. You could really trick that 29 out with the money/effort you save by consolidating.

Militant Jurist
I've always like the landscape look - and if i get one i'll probably do the reef wall on one side flowing into the sandy field at the base look.

but i was this close to getting a stand for a 29 yesterday though. this close.

Yeah, I know what you mean. The landscape does allow you to do a lot more... but I kind of like the height of a 29. I've had it for 3 years though, so maybe it's grown on me. ;)

Ouch!!! :o

SOOOO glad you were there when it happened and damage was minimal as a result.

Whew!

I'm sure the WL crew will be happy to chime in on helping you figure out where to go from here if you need it.

LMK if you need anything. :grouphug:

Thanks Weetie. Everything seems to work out the way that it's meant to, and I'm glad that it happened now, rather than this time next month. It's nice having the WL to count on in times like these. I'm just going to abstain from tank work the rest of the day to clear my head of it, and then tomorrow I'll start working out where to go next.

:grouphug:

I like the idea of focusing on the 29. A house divided and all that. You could really trick that 29 out with the money/effort you save by consolidating.

Tis' what I'm thinking. I'm not sure what I'd do with it yet, but I had originally been kicking around the idea of adding a small tank off to the side as a macro DT. I could plumb in into the 29g system, and have a real nice project. I'll have to give it some thought.

Sorry to hear about the tank, but glad you were able to minimize the damage.

Thanks. Me too! What a morning.

Militant Jurist
:( Aww I'm sorry Mj :(

Thanks AM. At least the livestock was recovered before any harm came to them.

Militant Jurist

I'm sure the thoughts going through the minds of the fish were the fish equivalent of experiencing the sinking of the Titanic.

Good job on the quick reflexes MJ. Sorry to hear about your troubles, glad there were no major consequences!

Militant Jurist

Thanks. Yeah, it could have been a complete disaster, but the end result wasn't very bad (other than the loss of the 75 tank. I don't think I'll even attempt a repair, since I don't think I could possibly trust it. Might sell it for $20 or so to someone locally if they want to attempt a repair. I'll likely keep the stand for a future attempt. I lost quite a few snails I'm sure, but only the cerith snails, which reproduce like mad anyways. All of the nerites and the large ceriths were recovered, and all the coral, fish, snails, macro, and the gorgonian were rescued. Now I just need to figure out what to do with my 20L and 29 to find more permanent homes for everything. I also have that giant red monti cap that I don't know what to do with. Maybe I'll just let it take over the 20L. :P

I think what really saved me was (A) being home and awake at the time it happened and (B) having lots of totes and buckets at hand. Not having to empty buckets while emptying the tank saved a lot of time, and prevented a lot of extra water from leaking.

I hear ya about the money thing. Being out on disability really screwed me up. I'm still trying to get caught up. I went food shopping at the dollar store yesterday.I know sad LOL . Still happy you caught the problem in time and I like the thought od the 40 breeder Giggle.

Militant Jurist
I hear ya about the money thing. Being out on disability really screwed me up. I'm still trying to get caught up. I went food shopping at the dollar store yesterday.I know sad LOL . Still happy you caught the problem in time and I like the thought od the 40 breeder Giggle.

Haha I do similar things all the time! That's the one thing that sucks about being an attorney with a non-profit: while the hours are awesome, I don't earn a terribly large salary. After the bills and loan repayment, I don't have a ton of money leftover. If it weren't for the fact that I have a place to stay, I probably couldn't even take this mini-vacation to see the girl I'm dating. Even that one's a tough spot, but it was made possible because of a private case I picked up. They are few and far between, but I can make some decent money on private cases.

Sorry for your lost. :tears:

Also, I don't know if its all the Petco's but, Petco is have their $1 per Gallon sale today.

Thanks. I'll check that out... maybe I could go with a smaller tank, maybe even a 40b. :P I don't have anyone to help move a large tank though, so it's got to be a one-person move.

Militant Jurist
Wow.. that sucks man. :(

This just means you need to get tanks with at least 3 numbers.

Indeed. :(

Yeah, I do have the feeling that next time will be a "go big or go home" occasion. ;) I think I'm going to get rid of some of the large-tank items I have, so if you know of anyone who wants a barely used MP40 or 4x54w T5HO, send 'em my way. I'll probably be placing those up on CORA in the next couple of days.

I'm certainly thankful that I didn't get the kole tang in our recent group order. The engineer is going to be cool for now in a smaller tank, but a tang would have been near impossible for me to keep under these circumstances.

Archived