Coral Vue Hydros

GokesReef

So.. I was watching my tank yesterday and saw a small something rolling across the bottom of my tank. I got up close and saw it was, what appeared to be, a small (1/4" diameter) clam. Over the next 5 minutes, I watched it bury itself in my sand (no pics, sorry).

Just wondering what your thoughts on this might be.. good, bad, neutral.. From what I've read, it'll pretty much just sit down there filtering the sand and I'll never see it again?

Had one which was there for a week until the hermits found it and thought it looked tasty.

Got a larger one, brown, about an inch across - thought he was hermit food too but found it the other night in a rock crevice. Flashed the light across him and he snapped his shell shut so apparently he's been getting by feeding off the water column.

Guess these aren't sand eaters like yours, but all the same I doubt they are harmful.

Definitely on the non-harmful side. I've purchased many from IPSF, but like Violinist said, something in the tank will end up digging the clams out and devouring them.

It saddens me to think that something will eat it.. I <3 diversity.

I was planning to go light on hermits anyway, only 2 or 3 scarlets. This is just more reason to stick with that.. I'll get them small and hope he outgrows them ;)

The sand I used was just the bagged Bio Active LS ($20/10lb IIRC @ petco.. the stuff in the bag with water) and the rock is a mix from the LFS and saltwaterfish.com so no saying where he's from. I'd guess the sand though, since that's where he seems to like being :) cool HH indeed.

Hopefully he makes it, I'd imagine they're a pretty good filter down there.

Maybe it's a scallop. Those can be seen "swimming"

It was more like cartwheeling along the bottom. Was pretty cool to watch.

lakshwadeep

It's unlikely that bagged "live" sand has enough oxygen to support higher organisms like a clam while sitting on a shelf for months. Bagged live sand is an oxymoron, IMO.

You'd be surprised.. there's a few things I've seen scurrying around that seem to have come from the sand. It is always possible that it was in the rock, though.

I've got a cleaner clam, pretty cool to watch. It will bury itself for about 5-7 days and then it will come to the surface. Mine has been on the surface for a couple of weeks actually although it tends to move itself around the tank (which is also fun to see).

Not my picture but here is what they look like for those that don't know:

574_cleanerclamsnjbeacher.jpg

Mine will open and close really fast and that basically pushes him up and into the current. I've got a bunch of hermit crabs and nothing has ever messed with him. I've had him for a little over a year too, definitely very interesting to watch. :)

cheryl jordan

You can get cleaner clams at the local fish food counter, just buy little neck clams. Make sure they are closed when you buy them. Even though they are on ice they are still alive and will open up in your tank. I used to feed them to my octopi, just left a couple in the tank and he could eat them, when he was hungry.

• 3 years later...
keithfullermusic

You can get cleaner clams at the local fish food counter, just buy little neck clams. Make sure they are closed when you buy them. Even though they are on ice they are still alive and will open up in your tank. I used to feed them to my octopi, just left a couple in the tank and he could eat them, when he was hungry.

OCTOPUS!!!! This is a nano-forum!!!!

oct_in_box_1small-700983.jpg

Archived