Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fluval Edge Tank Thread

fcruz420

I finally mounted the lighting fixture. Bent and riveted some aluminum up for the fixture to suspend it over the tank and made a splash shield with a piece of lexan.

Tank is nicely cycled with an ample supply of baby snails and copepods, finally ready for a fish, I'll probably go with a pair of ocellaris clowns for the cuteness factor for my daughter

1805D12B-6816-4FDE-805F-A80B3CFAA6DF-662

9A591762-5BB8-4868-B6C1-F808A928016D-662

FEE0EC92-4BE7-45CF-978D-72187A67C44A-662

I had to turn the LEDs way, way down to take the picture, my iphone only captured a giant white blob of light with them cranked

Hey everyone!! Started a new thread on my roommates Fluval Edge that I am redoing for her...it can be found here

Here is a FTS taken today...still have some work to go, but it is starting to come along!!

DSC_0118.JPG

I finally mounted the lighting fixture. Bent and riveted some aluminum up for the fixture to suspend it over the tank and made a splash shield with a piece of lexan.
Tank is nicely cycled with an ample supply of baby snails and copepods, finally ready for a fish, I'll probably go with a pair of ocellaris clowns for the cuteness factor for my daughter
1805D12B-6816-4FDE-805F-A80B3CFAA6DF-662
9A591762-5BB8-4868-B6C1-F808A928016D-662
FEE0EC92-4BE7-45CF-978D-72187A67C44A-662
I had to turn the LEDs way, way down to take the picture, my iphone only captured a giant white blob of light with them cranked

I think it looks great!!! Nice rimless and very clean look

Hello all,

I am looking into starting a nano marine tank, and have been looking at the 12 gal edge fluval tank. What mods will I need to do to accomplish this? Is it just worth buying the Innovativie Marine 16 gal tank? Thanks for any help!

IMO the main mod is the lighting.

The added height does help with dispersion compared to the 6 gal.

When my 12gal was a FW setup I got problems with oxygenation... Lost 6 CRS. Little air exchange surface combined with high heat mean low O2 dissolved in the water...

That was the main reason I plugged in the sump.

But it's such a sleek tank! I love being able to look through the top glass!

this may be a stupid question, but how do I attach a heatsink to the inside of the stock hood? thanks

Depends what kind of lighting fixture you're using exactly, but for mine (I purchased a custom kit from WingoLED) I used fishing wire to secure the entire unit to the grate of the hood - the wire is securely fastened to screws on the heatsink, then reinforced with a few secured to the entire unit. Initially I was nervous to use this method, as it just doesn't SOUND secure, but I've had no issues. I have, however, heard of some people having problems with the fans running so close to the holes in the grate that it causes an annoying windy sound, which I solved by applying electrical tape to the grate just above where the fans are.

If I think of it, I'll upload some pictures when I get home, as I have a feeling my wording there isn't entirely clear :)

For the most part, I'm assuming everyone here keeps their fish number at 1? I've seen plenty of people running it with 2, but so far I'm hesitant to make the change. Currently I have a Rainford Goby who does a nice job at keeping the sandbed clean and picking at any algae on the rocks (aside from this cursed bryopsis).

Also, do any of you stock with 2 small crabs? Right now I have an Emerald but I'm dying to get a Porcelain crab just because they're so cool to watch, just not sure if that would cause any problems in such a small tank.

Well, just to keep this thread alive to preserve the sanity of us Fluval Edge owners, here's what I've got going:

- AC30 HOB

I had to "mod" the back casing to make the larger filter work, which was extremely easy, hence the quotes. All you have to do is remove the lighting arm (if you haven't already) and carefully snap/saw off the tabs that once held the arm in place, as well as the tabs on the front. It took all of about 5 minutes and the AC30 fits perfectly. I've even heard of some people making it work with an AC50, but I wouldn't know about that. In any case, I'd recommend this, as the added space in the filter allows for a lot more LR rubble, and of course there's the benefit of increased flow. On that note, you will likely need to reduce the flow or make a simple splash guard.

- PhosGuard

Crazy outbreak of Green Hair Algae recently, so I dropped this in to get things under control, and it's done a nice job. As for the cause of the high Phosphates, I've determined the culprit to be my RO water. Bought a DI add-on for $40 and my water quality is much better now. After this runs it's course, I'll be running ChemiPure Elite for a while.

- PURA Filtration Pad

- LR Rubble

- Hydor Koralia Nano 240gph

- 25W Heater

The heater I purchased is very small, small enough to fit in the HOB with slight modification to the filter basket. I haven't actually done that, but I've seen it done elsewhere, and I'm considering it. It has a thermostat on the plug, and the heater itself is 3.8". It was purchased on eBay by the seller goaqua88. It's worked excellent, but as always I have a backup on hand just in case.

- WingoLED Savior

I had very little DIY know-how when I started this hobby, so rather than putting together a light kit myself, I decided to go with WingoLED. It puts out 12,000K, comes with a dimmer, is very easy to mount inside the stock hood (though it does require removing the light bar, in my case, anyway), and overall I'm happy with it.

IMG_20121023_015520_zpsb09d017b.jpg

IMG_20121023_023713_zpsddc02b3d.jpg

IMG_20121023_023808_zps12522d04.jpg

IMG_20121023_031003_zpse7aa5480.jpg

(Very old picture from cycling)

- EcoPico LED Strips

Just for additional coverage, I ordered 2 of these strips to set on top of the aquarium to give a bit more light to the sides, due to my rock formations.

Stocking:

- Rainford's Goby (Court Jester Goby)
- Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
- Emerald Crab
- 1x Brittle Star
- 3x Electric Blue Legged Hermits
- 2x Nassarius Snails
- 2x Nerite Snails
- 2x Banded Trochus Snails
- 2x Cerith Snails

- Florida Ricordrea
KGrHqFlUFBgpRvMBQle4ZhDg60_3.jpg

- Stargazer Zoanthids
KGrHqNhEFB0bTRHzBQleo0GD60_3.jpg

- Australian Duncan
KGrHqVosFBZ8mfuOEBQld4b11g60_3.jpg

IMG_20130120_162855.jpg
(Starting to branch!)

- Australian Acanthastrea
KGrHqZk4FB090bV4BQle3V5o260_3.jpg

- Green and Purple Frogspawn
20.jpg

- Scarlet and Gray Favites
18.jpg

- Teal Candy Cane
22.jpg

- Red Sea Pulsing Xenia (DOA shipped)

39.jpg

- "Grape Limeaid" Montipora
img_20121123_033412.jpg

- Fire and Ice Zoanthids
img_20121123_033445.jpg

- Night Crawler Zoanthids (Died, no idea why)

img_20121123_033518.jpg

- Tidal Wave Rhodactis Mushroom
img_20121123_033543.jpg

- Ring of Fire Zoanthids
img_20121123_033606.jpg

- Midnight Eclipse Palythoa
img_20121123_033643.jpg

Hitchhikers:

- Green Palythoa
- Eagle Eye Zoanthids
- Rock Flower Anemone

IMG_7894.jpg

Young Nano-Reef 2 months old

Using: Sump, LR, Chaeto and GFO as main filtration

Lightly stocked: 2 Maxi Minis, Frogspawn, Mushrooms, Zoas

Plan: Fish-less tank

See link for more :)

IMG_7894.jpg

Young Nano-Reef 2 months old

Using: Sump, LR, Chaeto and GFO as main filtration

Lightly stocked: 2 Maxi Minis, Frogspawn, Mushrooms, Zoas

Plan: Fish-less tank

See link for more :)

Nice looking rock work! Love the frogspawn placement

Thanks,

He's been acting weird lately.

First two weeks he opened up huge. For the last week he has been opening up late in the morning and closing early at light.

I think he is splitting, I can see two mouths, maybe that's why

Great thread! I have read through most of it this morning. This is one of the tanks I am looking at for my desk at work. I just got permission to have a small tank in the office and I am very excited. I still need to decide if I am going freshwater or a softie-oriented reef. It needs to be low maintenance a I can be away for a couple of weeks at a time. I could set up an ATO. A non-reefer coworker could help with basics when I am not there.

It soundsm ike the main issue is poor stock ligting and a few issues with fitting in large rock pieces and keeping the glass clean.

Is it easy to supplement or replace the stock LEDs in the newer model or should I look out for an original model?

I want to keep the stock hood etc but internals can be hacked.

Thanks!

You could sps if you do diy crees

Sure. For starters I want to see what I can do with minimal mods and also to keep it easy to maintain because of my travelling. I was thinking of getting the newer LED and sticking three EcoPico strips on there (I already have these).

Sure. For starters I want to see what I can do with minimal mods and also to keep it easy to maintain because of my travelling. I was thinking of getting the newer LED and sticking three EcoPico strips on there (I already have these).

Altho evaporation is pretty small on these tanks, you will want a ATO if you are away often.

Mine is autonomous for 12days! And tested :)