• Please log in to reply
784 replies to this topic

Bunce

Bunce

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 30 Apr 2012

So i have also read all 35 pages and have seen some great mods for the fluvial tank. Many of them inspired me to build this sump for the back column to have a refugium (initial plan was to have a protein skimmer but the nano ones are all really bad) and some more live rock.

Im also looking into some extra lighting but i have a LED light bar stock fluvial lights and they seem to be very hard to mod. My question is can i change the globes or add extra of the same type of globes to the light bar? (photos included) id like to fill every little square.

Photo time:

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1689.jpg

Bunce

Bunce

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 30 Apr 2012
lights

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1683.JPG

afxtwin

afxtwin

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 258 posts
  • Joined 06 Feb 2009
  • NJ
just made my thread... check it out if you'd like...

http://www.nano-reef...howtopic=301701

fuddyq

fuddyq

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Joined 05 Jan 2011
  • Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Hello all!

I'd like to know what chemicals you always have on hand to keep our wee tanks balanced. It's the one area of maintenance that still eludes me.

I put about .6mL of Purple Up in with my top up RO water - usually every two days depending on evaporation rate - and at one point I was alternating that with Reef Builder but my tank had an awful algae bloom shortly after I started that, so I haven't put it back in for awhile. Might have been due to a combination of morning sunlight and a snail death.

My pH was dipping into slightly uncomfortable territory so I moved my power head so it is now hitting the opening for better surface agitation.

So what do you routinely dose and what do you keep on hand for emergencies?

Thanks!

Details:
1 yellow-tailed blue damsel
1 turbo, 1 nessarius snail
2 blue-legged hermits
1 cleaner shrimp
1 Red fromia starfish
Sand polyps, green star polyps, devil's hand, feather duster worm and a small army of brisle worms
1" live sand bed
8-ish pounds live rock
Stock filter with just the sponge, cycling the carbon in every two weeks for one week
Nano customs led light fixture

Edited by fuddyq, 21 June 2012 - 06:44 AM.

NHatton14

NHatton14

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Joined 04 Jun 2012
  • stoke on trent
http://www.nano-reef...o...404&cat=500

I upgraded my lights for the fluval edge. The difference is unbelievable. Im keeping a few different corals and they all seem to be thriving.
In the tank at the moment is a hammer, frogspawn, green star polyps, green striped mushroom, bright orange mushroom, green finger leather, pulsing xenia and some zoas. Im hoping to get some ricordeas and a plate soon. Any suggestions as to what kind of plate i should get?
Im also using a hydor koralia nano 900 for water circulation and seachem purigen in the filter to remove any phosphates.
Any advice welcome as ive only been going 3 months.

Attached Thumbnails

• P6040086.JPG
  • P6050072.JPG
  • P6050070.JPG
  • P6040077.JPG

I recently set up my Fluval Edge 12gallon marine tank.
To begin with, the intention was a fish and live rock only tank. However after five weeks of being in the hobby, i decided i would be adding corals eventually.
As I'm new to the hobby, any advice would be welcome. I will post some photos to get some feedback. Ive upgraded my lights from the standard Fluval Edge LED's to a custom made 36W mix of royal blue and white light. The difference is unbelievable. Anybody with this tank who is looking to upgrade their lights, I would strongly recommend these lights. I hope to learn a lot from this forum.

tok

tok

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • Joined 24 Jun 2012
hello fluval edge guys!

i'm new here, the fluval edge has proven to be a very very sweet tank. i bought a freshwater Fluval Edge II and fell in love with it, then found another a Fluval Edge Gen 1 on craigslist for $50 with lots of extras! i have never done salt water before but was impressed by the tanks abilities and took a dove.

i just upgraded my lights to $6/each 7000k 400lumen MR16 bulb from amazon and its super BRIGHT! i highly recommend--the brand is "torchstar 7000k 4watt--it needs blue lights to balance it out though (waiting on that)

here are pictures taken using a ####ty camera, as well as pics of my freshwater setup with the stock 21 LED, compare how much sharper the ####ty camera is able to capture with the MR16 400lumen leds.

Here's my salt that i am working on:

10 lb Livesand
4 lb Liverock (stacked with lots of openings for fish to swim through)

fish:
1 small 3 striped damsel
1 blue green chromis

ground crew:
2 pepperment shrimp
2 tiny blue leg hermet
1 nassarius snail

(next thing i am getting is going to be coral--zoanthids to see how well they do in this light)

all the tank creatures seem extremely healthy and happy

saltwater01.jpg
saltwater02.jpg

added blue lights the other day. the color is much better now

saltwater04.jpg
saltwater03.jpg

i used a blue 24 led flexible/water proof strip and glued it to the edge

Edited by tok, 02 July 2012 - 12:13 PM.

pashazero

pashazero

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Joined 19 Dec 2006
Does anyone know the specs on the stock Led lights on the edge?

mallyn

mallyn

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Joined 30 Oct 2007
  • Orange Park FL
Just ordered my DIY LEDs from Rapidled. I got 3 CW, 4 RB and 1 GRN also 2 dimmable drivers. I got the heatsink from heatsinkusa 7X4. I am pretty excited to get rid of the stock led system that came with the tank. I will send updates when i get my lights setup.

FishyFishy!

FishyFishy!

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 157 posts
  • Joined 11 Jun 2010
Here is an updated FTS of my Fluval Edge with 15g sump

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by FishyFishy!, 24 July 2012 - 12:15 PM.

mallyn

mallyn

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Joined 30 Oct 2007
  • Orange Park FL
I completed my DIY lighting for my edge and also got sick of the lid and having to emty out water to put my hand in the tank so i took off the top. All Cree LEDs 3CW, 4RB and 1 Green all driven at 700mA. Any opinons on this would be enough for SPS. Thanks for looking.

Attached Thumbnails

• P1060209__640x480_.jpg
  • P1060208__640x465_.jpg
  • P1060211__640x474_.jpg

FishyFishy!

FishyFishy!

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 157 posts
  • Joined 11 Jun 2010

I completed my DIY lighting for my edge and also got sick of the lid and having to emty out water to put my hand in the tank so i took off the top. All Cree LEDs 3CW, 4RB and 1 Green all driven at 700mA. Any opinons on this would be enough for SPS. Thanks for looking.

Thats funny, thats exactly what I did too. The lid got annoying so I removed it and hung a fixture.

briansbelle

briansbelle

briansbelle

• Members
  • 1,335 posts
  • Joined 06 Sep 2009
  • heath ohio
I have a fluval edge and I may be removing the to of mine too...its annoying...lol

Plus there isn't really allot of surface area for gas exchange...and I love rimless tanks :)

Anyone have step by step directions to taking the top off?

Edited by briansbelle, 26 July 2012 - 08:04 AM.

My feedback thread
http://www.nano-reef...p;#entry3954003

12g long-

Freshwater

11.4g mr aqua freshwater planted
Seiyru stone
Ada aquasoil
100w titanium heater
Eheim.2211 filter
lily pipes
fluv mini Co2 setup.
Glass bell diffuser

TheKleinReef

TheKleinReef

Name's Roger, Nice to Meet You

• Members
  • 3,234 posts
  • Joined 26 Nov 2011
  • Streamwood, Illinois
6 Gallon Original Fluval Edge
Modifications:
Removed top Glass
Not using any of the plastic base/back/top

Equipment:
  • Fluval c2 Canister
  • Fluval Edge Heater
  • Koralia Nano 425 gph Power head
  • AI Nano & Controller
  • 1lb live sand
    7 lbs live rock

Livestock:
  • 1 "3/4 snowflake clown" (that's what it was labeled at
  • 1 skunk cleaner shrimp
  • various snails
  • 2 montipora capricornis
  • 1 montipora digitata
  • 1 purple birdsnest
  • 1 green birdsnest
  • 3 frags of candy cane (1 temporary)
  • 2 hitchhiker plate corals
  • 1 ricordea yuma
  • 2 unknown acro species
  • 1 millepora colony
  • xenia colony
  • blue mushroom
  • ice fire zoanthids

Tank Pictures:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

DSLR PHOTO THREAD

FLICKR ACCOUNT

INSTAGRAM

"That which we manifest is before us."

Garth Stein

FishyFishy!

FishyFishy!

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 157 posts
  • Joined 11 Jun 2010

I have a fluval edge and I may be removing the to of mine too...its annoying...lol

Plus there isn't really allot of surface area for gas exchange...and I love rimless tanks :)

Anyone have step by step directions to taking the top off?

It's just like any other regular tank. It's just siliconed together. All you have to do is razor blade between the top and sides and it will come off with ease. When I got mine I wanted to do that as well, but I didn't want to drill the tank for the overflow (not even sure if they are drillable)

Jcrissey

Jcrissey

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • Joined 27 Jul 2012
Can someone please provide the interior dimensions for the Fluval Edge 6-gallon light hood?
Also, what is the interior width of the back filter cover?

Edited by Jcrissey, 30 July 2012 - 10:52 AM.

dxmaster

dxmaster

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • Joined 25 Jul 2012
  • Las Vegas, NV
Anyone know a somewhat easy way to put a splash guard on the edge 6 gallon? I'm putting in an AI Nano and don't want it to ruin my new lights. :(

Jcrissey

Jcrissey

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • Joined 27 Jul 2012

Anyone know a somewhat easy way to put a splash guard on the edge 6 gallon? I'm putting in an AI Nano and don't want it to ruin my new lights. :(

Someone several pages back made used a fluorescent light diffuser (commonly seen in office drop ceilings) and cut that to fit. I too have the AI nano that I will use with my Edge (not set up yet, patiently acquiring all the right equipment from the start) and will likely do this diffuser mod as well. It looked like it helped eliminate the spotlighting, something that will definitely be a challenge with the 80-degree optics on the AI nano.

If you have any pics of your finished light ,od, please pm me or post them here for all to see.

This thread was a great inspiration for me, I hope it can become active again.

dxmaster

dxmaster

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • Joined 25 Jul 2012
  • Las Vegas, NV
I just took the hood off for my AI Nano. The spotlight was annoying even mounted to the very top of the hood. I have a semi-current FTS in my sig thread.

Jcrissey

Jcrissey

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • Joined 27 Jul 2012

I just took the hood off for my AI Nano. The spotlight was annoying even mounted to the very top of the hood. I have a semi-current FTS in my sig thread.

What percent of your sanded left and right of center received adequate light when the AI nano was mounted to the stock hood?
I really don't want to lose the stock look if necessary. Also, what percent do you have your whites/blues set at with the controller?
I'm thinking I may have to set my LR up in a semicircle (half-moon) configuration to make sure my corals get enough light, then perhaps plant some macroalgaes in the back corners.

Jcrissey

Jcrissey

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • Joined 27 Jul 2012

Here is my solution to the problem of the spotlight effect we all get in these tanks.
A light diffuser used as a splash guard.

Posted Image

And here is the approximate light field in my tank with the diffuser on.

Posted Image

Dustin11- do you think the diffuser mod did its job?

dxmaster

dxmaster

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • Joined 25 Jul 2012
  • Las Vegas, NV

What percent of your sanded left and right of center received adequate light when the AI nano was mounted to the stock hood?
I really don't want to lose the stock look if necessary. Also, what percent do you have your whites/blues set at with the controller?
I'm thinking I may have to set my LR up in a semicircle (half-moon) configuration to make sure my corals get enough light, then perhaps plant some macroalgaes in the back corners.

If you can get enough LR and postion it more centered you'd be ok. I'd say about 60% center was where the light was, rest around the edges was spill over.

As far as the settings, I've been changing it a bit and have yet to come to a specific setting that I like the most. I found some in the AI Club thread that I used as a starting point.

Jcrissey

Jcrissey

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • Joined 27 Jul 2012

If you can get enough LR and postion it more centered you'd be ok. I'd say about 60% center was where the light was, rest around the edges was spill over.

As far as the settings, I've been changing it a bit and have yet to come to a specific setting that I like the most. I found some in the AI Club thread that I used as a starting point.

That's what I thought. I am considering taking the 6-gallon back (still in box) and get the 12-gallon model, that should allow enough height for the "spotlight effect" to properly illuminate the entire sandbed, although it will increase maintenance hassles for sure.

hector1520

hector1520

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • Joined 08 Feb 2002
Getting back into it again after getting tired of jumping through hoops to do regular maintenance that should only take 1/5 of the time it would. I tore it down, scraped everything clean and sliced the top right off

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lighting, coming up with something crafty to keep the "Edge" vibe to it

Posted Image

AJK

AJK

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Joined 24 Oct 2012
  • Michigan
Hello everyone, I would like to set up a Fluval Edge. I currently have a 29 gallon reef tank but I am looking for something different. I am trying to find a unique fish or invert to put in the Edge that I wouldn't be able to have in my reef tank. Any suggestions?

1reefluvr2

1reefluvr2

Nano Reefer

• Members
  • 1,838 posts
  • Joined 18 Oct 2009

Hello everyone, I would like to set up a Fluval Edge. I currently have a 29 gallon reef tank but I am looking for something different. I am trying to find a unique fish or invert to put in the Edge that I wouldn't be able to have in my reef tank. Any suggestions?

Hasha yasha gobi with pistol shrimp get a pair of them . I have them in my edge